Freeman Generation D - is this the right whistle for me?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jock_Hawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Freeman Generation D - is this the right whistle for me?

Post by Jock_Hawk »

I’m searching for a whistle to get my girlfriend for Christmas. It will be her second whistle, the first being a Clarke Meg. Of all the reviews of various whistles I’ve read, the Freeman Tweaked Generation D seems to be the sub-£40 whistle that’s most favourably viewed. However, there are a few things that worry me about it:

- The whistle is tuneable, but does this mean it has to be tuned? Neither of us can tune an instrument by ear, and I’m worried about the mouthpiece moving and the whistle going out of tune.
- Is it true that nickel is slightly slippy, and harder to grasp than brass?
- As a relative beginner, my girlfriend likes playing slow melodies, like Amazing Grace and Wild Mountain Thyme. Is this whistle suited to playing songs like these, or does its “chiff” sound make it more suitable for fast, loose dance tunes?

Any advice anyone could give as regards these queries would be most welcome.
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Freeman Generation D - is this the right whistle for me?

Post by crookedtune »

Welcome Jock!

Yes, I think the Freeman Gen D would suit well. It's an easy player, not loud or shrill, and behaves well. Don't worry about the tunability. The head can be slid up and down to tune it, but she won't need to use that feature except (possibly) if trying to play in a group setting. Even then it's pretty intuitive.

I personally prefer the look, sound and feel of brass, and I do find the nickel a bit slippery. Either way, you can't go wrong with a Freeman whistle.

Cheers
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

All of the Jerry Freeman Tweaked Generations are fine-playing whistles and you can't go wrong with them.

For whatever reason, over the years traditional Irish players have tended to favour the plain brass Gens over the nickle-plated ones.

But I myself would get the Freeman Tweaked Feadog D. My all-time favourite high D whistle is the Feadog I've been playing since around 1980, and the Freeman Feadog plays amazingly close to it. If I lost my preciousss I would immediately order a Freeman Feadog to replace it.

Either the Freeman Feadog D or Freeman Generation D would be an excellent choice for not only any beginner but also any professional player, in my opinion.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Hotblack

Post by Hotblack »

Jock_Hawk wrote:I’m searching for a whistle to get my girlfriend for Christmas. It will be her second whistle, the first being a Clarke Meg. Of all the reviews of various whistles I’ve read, the Freeman Tweaked Generation D seems to be the sub-£40 whistle that’s most favourably viewed. However, there are a few things that worry me about it:

- The whistle is tuneable, but does this mean it has to be tuned? Neither of us can tune an instrument by ear, and I’m worried about the mouthpiece moving and the whistle going out of tune.
It'll most probably be in tune when you get it. The mouthpiece won't move too easily so shouldn't be a problem. The tuning only varies the pitch a relatively small amount, not a huge amount like say, tuning a guitar. If she plays along to a cd then she'll notice the difference in pitch if its slightly out. It's a case of just gently moving the head in or out small amounts until it sounds right.
Jock_Hawk wrote:- Is it true that nickel is slightly slippy, and harder to grasp than brass?
Some say so. Never noticed much difference myself. :)
Jock_Hawk wrote:- As a relative beginner, my girlfriend likes playing slow melodies, like Amazing Grace and Wild Mountain Thyme. Is this whistle suited to playing songs like these, or does its “chiff” sound make it more suitable for fast, loose dance tunes?
It'll be fine for whatever she plays, fast or slow.
Cheers

David

I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.
ecohawk

Post by ecohawk »

All of these comments are true. I play both nickel and brass Gen D's and don't notice a difference in a whistle this small in sound or handling. All of Jerry's whistles are good. If you want a little more volume, consider the Mellow Dog. Still my favorite whistle. :thumbsup:
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
mickey66
Tell us something.: I am a Professional Musician in Phx, Az. Lived in Calif(Hollywood) for about 10 years(1970's) working in the studios and on the road with stars of the day. Started to follow my roots which took me back to the old country and the Irish Tin Whistle. I wound up here on C&F forum!

Post by mickey66 »

All of the above posts are telling you the truth! I would also like to add the Clare Brass or Nickel "D" whistle they play in tune for the most part and don't cost an arm and a leg. Jerry's whistles are the best and last but not least my current favorite....The Tony Dixon Trad Brass "D" whistle and does not cost a lot of money about $20 USD....easy to play, in-tune up and down the whistle right out of the box and the sound is VERY Irish....made in England tho... tunability on all of the whistles I named. Jerry's Mellow Dog....A++++

http://www.tuxedomusic.com
Jock_Hawk

Post by Jock_Hawk »

mickey66 wrote:All of the above posts are telling you the truth! I would also like to add the Clare Brass or Nickel "D" whistle they play in tune for the most part and don't cost an arm and a leg. Jerry's whistles are the best and last but not least my current favorite....The Tony Dixon Trad Brass "D" whistle and does not cost a lot of money about $20 USD....easy to play, in-tune up and down the whistle right out of the box and the sound is VERY Irish....made in England tho... tunability on all of the whistles I named. Jerry's Mellow Dog....A++++
The Dixon Trad is second on my list after the Freeman Generation D, and yours is one of several recommendations I've read for it. I may be forced to get it afterall, as the snow that's causing havoc in Britain may stop the Freeman from being delivered from www.bigwhistle.co.uk in time for Christmas, and there is a shop near me that sells the Dixon Trad.
Hotblack

Post by Hotblack »

I'm also a fan of the Dixon Trad. I've recommended it elsewhere on the forum just recently.
Cheers

David

I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.
Jock_Hawk

Post by Jock_Hawk »

ecohawk wrote:All of these comments are true. I play both nickel and brass Gen D's and don't notice a difference in a whistle this small in sound or handling. All of Jerry's whistles are good. If you want a little more volume, consider the Mellow Dog. Still my favorite whistle. :thumbsup:
I chose the Freeman Generation over the Mellow Dog on the basis of this review: www.tinwhistler.com/reviews.aspx. It suggests the Mellow Dog is a "quick clogger" in terms of moisture. However, the improvement in volume you mention perhaps compensates for this slight failing. It's a moot point at the moment though, as both are out of stock at bigwhistle.co.uk!

Thanks to all those who have given advice on the merits of the Freeman Generation :love:
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

The review you cite is of a previous version of the Mellow Dog. I have both that and the newer version and have never found either to be a "quick clogger" and I'm a pretty wet blower. The new/current one especially, has never accumulated sufficient moisture to offer any sort interference with airflow, even on cold days.

Of course, this is moot if you can't get one in time for the holidays, but I did want to offer an alternate opinion.

Best wishes.

Steve
Last edited by Steve Bliven on Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
jkrazy52
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jkrazy52 »

Jock_Hawk, there is a whistle made in Scotland -- the Alba. It is more expensive, but you may be able to get it by Christmas if you order through the Alba website. Not the whistle you were asking about but just another option.

Jerry Freeman is a forum member. A direct order from him might get the whistle you want, but probably not by Christmas. Wouldn't hurt to send him a PM and ask.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

For the record ...

The Mellow Dog is definitely not a "fast clogger." I've sold thousands of them, and not a single customer has ever told me that.

Best wishes,
Jerry
You can purchase my whistles on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/freemanwhistle ... pg=&_from=

or directly from me:

email jerry ("at") freemanwhistles ("dot") com or send a PM.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

You can't go wrong with any of the above. IMO,the zen of tin whistle playing is that a whistle is at heart a very cheap instrument, yet with a little bit of effort and some perseverance, you can learn to make wonderful, complex, dancing, music out of an instrument that's priced like a toy. That's the magic. You're spinning straw into gold.

I used to busk with my whistle, and I've lost count of the times that people came up to me - often moms with a kid - marveling that I could get that much music out of looked to them like a toy. I doubt that would happen as often these days, cuz whistles have penetrated a little deeper into mass culture and more people now know what they're seeing, but the magic trick is still the same.

But for me, that trick doesn't work with high-end whistles. If you're playing a $250 artisan-made hand crafted whistle, you can do lots of other things but you can't do that one trick. For the money it damn-well better sound good.

However, the bane of mass produced factory made whistles is poor quality control. When I bought most of mine, I'd insist on tooting the entire jarful and then buy the best. A good half would be be bad and many qualified as horrible. The problem for you is that its hard, now, to find a music store that'll let you do that. Public health regs see sticking something into your mouth and the putting it back in the jar as a health risk, and the shop knows that if they let people cherry-pick, the store will end up with half a jar of unsalable dregs. As well, if you're new to the whistle, you might not yet know enough to tell a good one from a bad (tho it won't take long to figure it out.)

Jerry Freeman solves all these issues. You're still getting the cheap instrument mojo that (IMO) whistles ought to have, but you have Jerry's had-won expertise in your corner to make sure what you get has all the best and one of the worst of what a whistle can be. Its well worth the modest markup he charges.

So get one in D, but it won't matter which make or model. They're all good, and the difference between any two cheap metal tube whistles are much slighter than you'd think from the way we carry on about it.

So flip a coin or order the one that matches your girlfriend's eyes or pick one at random, or whatever.. If you carry on whistling, you'll soon want one of each, anyway. They're cheap enough so that you can do just that. If you don't carry on it won't matter what you bought anyway.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

s1m0n wrote: IMO,the zen of tin whistle playing is that a whistle is at heart a very cheap instrument
Yes indeed, there's something marvelous about playing in a group consisting of a $20,000 violin, a $15,000 uilleann pipe, and a $5,000 guitar, with a whistle you bought for $6.
s1m0n wrote: However, the bane of mass produced factory made whistles is poor quality control. When I bought most of mine, I'd insist on tooting the entire jarful and then buy the best. A good half would be be bad and many qualified as horrible. The problem for you is that its hard, now, to find a music store that'll let you do that.

Jerry Freeman solves all these issues.
Hear, hear!

I've told the story of, around five years ago, playing two dozen Generation D's right out of the factory box. One of them played great, a lovely round full low end and sweet high end and good tuning. (I bought it.) A second was nearly as good. The rest were at best mediocre and several would only make breathy noises.

Back when I started playing, Generation D's were the only thing available and every serious whistle player embarked upon a neverending quest to find the best one they could. No doubt, the best ones are very very good.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
mickey66
Tell us something.: I am a Professional Musician in Phx, Az. Lived in Calif(Hollywood) for about 10 years(1970's) working in the studios and on the road with stars of the day. Started to follow my roots which took me back to the old country and the Irish Tin Whistle. I wound up here on C&F forum!

Post by mickey66 »

pancelticpiper wrote:All of the Jerry Freeman Tweaked Generations are fine-playing whistles and you can't go wrong with them.

For whatever reason, over the years traditional Irish players have tended to favour the plain brass Gens over the nickle-plated ones.

But I myself would get the Freeman Tweaked Feadog D. My all-time favourite high D whistle is the Feadog I've been playing since around 1980, and the Freeman Feadog plays amazingly close to it. If I lost my preciousss I would immediately order a Freeman Feadog to replace it.

Either the Freeman Feadog D or Freeman Generation D would be an excellent choice for not only any beginner but also any professional player, in my opinion.
Of these two talked about in this quote don't forget to add Jerry's Gen-Dog "Frankenwhistle" a feadog Nickel "D" body and a Tweaked Generation Blue Fripple.This is a very good whistle but you would have to contact Jerry and ask him if he still has some of these.... a whistle I like very much. :D

www.tuxedomusic.com