Just like some feedback...

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Flexismart
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Some of my original tunes are displayed at https://thesession.org/members/49476
I play several flutes, many whistles, many guitars, bouzouki, banjo, and own way too many pedals.
I could open a music store if I didn't live in the back woods of Pennsylvania.

Re: Just like some feedback...

Post by Flexismart »

That's great for that tune....
Why don't you play me an example using the tune I recorded... or play it yourself?
Arbo
I'll consider it.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

ImNotIrish wrote:Thanks, MT! So, what is it that you DO like?
I like your nice, focused tone with a hint of primal growl and honk and push. I like your rock-steady rhythm, though it sounds like a horse tethered to a stake and jumping up and down instead of being allowed to run forward and free. The potential is there. I like the way you play around and in-between the octaves, a huge part of the Irish flute sound to me. I like your sense of ornament placement, though you need to work on the ornaments themselves. And I like your willingness to put yourself out there for other people to hear and ponder. :-)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

MTGuru wrote:
ImNotIrish wrote:Thanks, MT! So, what is it that you DO like?
I like your nice, focused tone with a hint of primal growl and honk and push. I like your rock-steady rhythm, though it sounds like a horse tethered to a stake and jumping up and down instead of being allowed to run forward and free. The potential is there. I like the way you play around and in-between the octaves, a huge part of the Irish flute sound to me. I like your sense of ornament placement, though you need to work on the ornaments themselves. And I like your willingness to put yourself out there for other people to hear and ponder. :-)
Thank you MT. I shall take you suggestions and work on them and give it another try at some later point.
Like the horse tethered to a stake analogy: I had that image in my head when playing. I think I have other examples of a more fluid, running/galloping type of tune. Keep in mind: one tune, on one day, in one mindset, in one take... I know I wasn't on, yet, there it is. Thank you for taking the time to listen and comment. That goes for the rest of ye as well!
Arbo
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Many of us would love nothing more than to be playing on Arbo's level, but these comments are useful, too.

Lots to think about and learn from here. Thanks.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Hey Arbo, as ever, I wish I could get your tone..... besides that, I've no verbal comments to elaborate on ones already made - the "issues" are old ones. However, I didn't know and rather liked the tune, so,
while Flexismart considers.... I thought I'd have a bash at it. This is from the dots (setting from The Fiddler's Companion), after a good few runs through to more-or-less get its quirks under my fingers and multiple duff takes. I still sped up a bit through this take despite trying to keep steady and mid-paced. :oops: This tune seems to want a good lick to it! I'm afraid my minidisc recorder seems to have made a ticking noise through part of what was otherwise my best take.... so apologies, but we'll have to live with that. Ditto my grunts and some traffic noise! I hope it will help a bit (and better than words) to suggest rhythm/flow and some ideas of possible phrasing etc. I'm not comfortable enough with it yet to do much in the way of variation - need to get off the dots for that, really. All feedback welcome!

The flute used is Ben Hall's H Fentum that I recently finished doing up. Piccies.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Rob Sharer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

Jem, you're tending more towards the legato style I personally favor for a tune like this. Maybe a bit too far; sounds like you could use a few punctuation marks in there.

I'm going to try to take a swipe at this tune and post it.

Rob
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Rob Sharer wrote:Jem, you're tending more towards the legato style I personally favor for a tune like this. Maybe a bit too far; sounds like you could use a few punctuation marks in there.

I'm going to try to take a swipe at this tune and post it.

Rob
Cheers Rob - and good on ya - looking forward to it.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Cubitt

Post by Cubitt »

I think MT summed things up beautifully. I've now been saved the effort of trying to find the words he expressed in his original post. However, fwiw, I will state what moved me to post: I think you are letting technique overpower the tune. I can't find the melody so I feel the ornaments become an end in themselves rather than is service of the tune.

The above sounds terse to me, so I want to add that I am only addressing what I think should be considered by you. I'm not even touching the ability you display in your playing, which is considerable.

Cheers.
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Cubitt wrote:I think MT summed things up beautifully. I've now been saved the effort of trying to find the words he expressed in his original post. However, fwiw, I will state what moved me to post: I think you are letting technique overpower the tune. I can't find the melody so I feel the ornaments become an end in themselves rather than is service of the tune.

The above sounds terse to me, so I want to add that I am only addressing what I think should be considered by you. I'm not even touching the ability you display in your playing, which is considerable.

Cheers.

Thanks Cubitt....I didn't really think I had any technique! Well, I shall play around with it some more and repost if people don't mind.... now that I have jem's version! Anxiously awaiting Rob's take as well! Woo-Hoo!
Arbo
Rob Sharer

Post by Rob Sharer »

Consarn it!

I'm not able to upload anything to Box right now, probably because something on my computer needs upgrading. Trouble is, my copy of Windows Installer is wrecked and won't be shown the true way by any means.

Anybody want to host a clip? PM me an email address and I'll send an MP3.

Rob
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Rob Sharer wrote:Consarn it!

I'm not able to upload anything to Box right now, probably because something on my computer needs upgrading. Trouble is, my copy of Windows Installer is wrecked and won't be shown the true way by any means.

Anybody want to host a clip? PM me an email address and I'll send an MP3.

Rob
Send it to me Rob and I'll get it up on box.net for you. And Thanks!
Arbo
Rob Sharer

Post by Rob Sharer »

Think Jem's just pipped you...should be up soon.

Rob
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Yur 'tis! Rob's Florescence, well and truly Shared.....

EDIT: Ahem....! Rob inadvertently sent me the "wrong" clip - he's now sent me the one he intended and I've replaced the file on Box.net. The 4 or 5 folk who listened to it soon after this post went up may wish to revisit......

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Rob Sharer

Post by Rob Sharer »

Same clip, really, just relieved of a bit of up'n'down the D scale for a warmup, then boosted a few DB so you can hear it better.

rob
Cubitt

Post by Cubitt »

I think Jem gets the quality I most look for in his rendition - punchy yet tuneful. I would still prefer the push on the octave jumps be a little lighter. One thing I've always appreciated when Matt Malloy does these is that he slips them in in a manner that sounds as if he never stops playing the lower octave note and the upper octave version just punches through - bip-bip-bip - as if it were being done on another flute. Wish to heck I knew how he does that.
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain