Low flute questions and recommendations

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.

Which keyless low flute key has the widest application for carols, hymns, and other religious music?

Poll ended at Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:32 pm

C
57%
Bb
43%
A
No votes

Total votes: 7

dow
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Low flute questions and recommendations

Post by dow »

I'm thinking about getting a keyless low flute, but thought I'd get some opinions first. I'm interested in a key that would fit the widest range of tunes and songs, with a leaning toward church hymns, Christmas carols, and vocal accompaniment. I hate to ask one of those "which one is best" questions, but the simple truth is that I haven't a clue which key (C, Bb, or A) would be the wisest choice for this application, bearing in mind that I'd likely have to play within the confines of the published key (in the hymnal). With that in mind, I'm posting this poll. Also, please feel free to post any opinions or thoughts you might have that would be applicable.

Thanks,
Dow
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
BrendanB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Low flute questions and recommendations

Post by BrendanB »

Hey Dow,

If you haven't already done so, you may want to try out flutes in each of those keys before you decide. A low A flute is really a stretch for a lot of people in terms of spacing between the holes. Bb and C is usually pretty manageable, but it depends. Beyond the needs of matching the key in the hymnal, just make sure you are confident that you will be able to play the flute comfortably before you decide on a key. If it turns out a low A is what you want for church hymns, you might be better off with a low whistle.

Brendan
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Uhhh - the regular old D flute is probably the most useful I've found. For music that isn't in D or G, you can just transpose. This doesn't work so well if you are playing for singers, however. They get really PO'd when you go too high or too low (a picky lot, they are). I'm mostly using my D and F flutes and seem to be able to cover most of the keys necessary (D, G, F, and Bb).
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

Brendan -

I've played both a C and a Bb before, and didn't have any issues with either. I haven't played an A, nor have I seen one, so the reach certainly could be an issue.

Pat -

I realize that my D flute would be a good choice, especially as I've already got a keyed D flute. However, I just plain really REALLY like the sound of the low flutes, and I'm really REALLY trying to justify one, lol.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

dow wrote: Pat -

I realize that my D flute would be a good choice, especially as I've already got a keyed D flute. However, I just plain really REALLY like the sound of the low flutes, and I'm really REALLY trying to justify one, lol.
Ah, I see... I'd go for the Bb then. The finger spread is still manageable and the tone is coolness itself. I've never played an A, but the Bb I used to have (a Burns) was at the limit of my fingers (and I'm a normal guy, finger wise). I don't think a C would be low enough for the sound I think you want.
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Flexismart
Tell us something.: Some of my original tunes are displayed at https://thesession.org/members/49476
I play several flutes, many whistles, many guitars, bouzouki, banjo, and own way too many pedals.
I could open a music store if I didn't live in the back woods of Pennsylvania.

Post by Flexismart »

I just received a piece of music to play, with a soprano, that is in the key of Db

Here are my options:

Play in in Db and spend a week trying to work out the intonation and cross fingerings
or
Play it in D, say it's in Db - read the sheet and play the accidental naturals as sharps.

I'm going with the second option. Only a person with perfect pitch would know the difference, and that's (maybe) 1 in 10,000

I'm with Plunk - the D flute is the most versatile.
I think you'll find that a C, Bb or A flute will be of little use in the long run - yet be fairly costly in the short run.
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

Lots of people play in C and F, so a flute in that pitch would be great. If playing with brass instruments, Bb.

You might check to see what keys are useful for singers.
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

of the three, c flute would be more versatile to me. a c# key and an f# key would help greatly (corresponding to d# and g# on a d flute).
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

I poked around a bit via Google and came across an online hymnal that had hymns indexed by key. I don't know if this is representative of most denomination's hymnals or not but it is at least some grist for the mill.

http://library.timelesstruths.org/music ... sortby=key

Here's the breakdown by number of tunes in each key:

G- 67
F#- 1
F- 82
E- 34
Eb- 96
D- 42
Db- 27
C- 42
B-5
Bb- 53
A- 36
Ab- 102

By this reckoning a Bb (able to play in Bb and Eb) would beat out a C (C and F) 149-124. A keyless Eb would trounce them both though, being able to handle 198 of these hymns and a D would bring up the rear with 109. I've heard a couple church organists I know grumble about new editions of hymnals. According to them the editors keep lowering the keys, presumably so the congregation can sing with less effort. It's tough to overcome twenty or so years of habit when, suddenly, "Come, Thou Long Expected Jesus" is down a minor third from what you are used to.

(Edited once to correct a grammatical error)
I'm asking you because you're an educated sort of swine. John LeCarre
david_h

Post by david_h »

Flexismart wrote:....Play it in D, say it's in Db... <snip> ... Only a person with perfect pitch would know the difference, and that's (maybe) 1 in 10,000
Maybe I am not understanding but far more than 1 in 10,000 amateur singers would be near enough to the end of their vocal range to dislike a semitone shift. And surely a professional who knew their own voice well would notice straight away. [typo edit]
Last edited by david_h on Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

1. C.

2. C.

3. C.

4. All of the above.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I don't have much experience of this (not being religious at all), but from doing carol concerts etc. in the past and from occasional perusals of church hymnals etc., what I do know is that, for reasons of vocal/choral tessitura (practical ranges of voices, both in individual parts and ensemble) an awful lot of music arranged for SATB choir is in flat keys - my impression is that 3, 4 and 5 flats are commonest. Mike's analysis above bears this impression out.

On that basis, Bb and F or Eb flutes/whistles would be most useful, a C not much help, but you'd likely still struggle with a keyless in any key. Although many hymn/carol tunes are modal and folky, the arrangements may not be. Also bear in mind the necessary tessitura of the flute to play a given part, and that in an echoey church and competing with substantial forces, a low flute won't project well. A keyed D flute is most likely to cover ranges of parts without octave folding, but even its fundamental register probably won't be easily heard. A low flute may sound nice, but will it be audible? Of course, if you'll be amplified and/or not playing with the choir or they will shift key to suit you (unlikely!), go for the sound you like!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Five flats!!?!!

No such key. :)

[well, not in my world, at any rate]
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

D minor (F maj) works fine on a C (finger em/G). In response to Dow's question, if I was going to spend money on a low flute, I'd buy a C and then get a Bb whistle for the other stuff since it's low enough to be pleasant. But of all the times I play with other people for all kinds of things (including church music), the two instruments I use 95% of the time are in the keys of C and D. I'd say the A and the Bb divide the rest of the usage time, with a very rare appearance by the Eb.

My Bb flute, while one of the most lovely things on earth, stays home as a rule. :-(
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Dow, do you see what happens when you ask for non-professional opinion? Even expert testimony is often contradictory. For what it's worth, I wouldn't think that low flutes would be very good to accompany singers for reasons already stated. If you are insistent on low flutes, however, I know a maker who makes fairly inexpensive simple-system keyless flutes. I could recommend the Eb and the C. Personally, I think that gaining competence on your fully-keyed low D flute would give you a lot of options.