WTB - a good whistle Uk only

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
yvie
antispam: No

WTB - a good whistle Uk only

Post by yvie »

Hi all,

been playing my Susato Kildare for a while now, I think its one of the best sounding bits of plastic I have played, I have tried quite a few
whistle high end and affordable, for £30 the Susato has a very distinctive sound which is very recognizable unlike some more expensive
high end whistle which are well crafted but don't have a distinctive sound that cuts through at session, anyway I'm waffling, I have found recently playing some slower airs on the susato that the high B and A notes can be a bit cutting, fine in session when you hit the highs briefly, I played The lark in the clear air the other night as a solo, and the high notes where clear and strong, but I felt the tone and volume was a little cutting, so I am after a good quality whistle that lends itself to nice balance of upper and lower octave notes, I did try the Susato vsb, very small bore as I was told by the chap at Hobgoblin the vsb is optimised for the upper octave and the standard bore for the lower octave, I also tried the kerry songbird High D (quite bland IMHO), a Willy Simmonds high d in boxwood, very sweet whistle, build quality on a par with Abell, although the Hobgolin one was very bent,

I have a budget of £250 and would prefer to buy from the Uk to save postage and vat/duty issues.

I have played these whistle below owned by friends and liked the following

Copeland brass or Nickel
Abell
Overton
Sindt
rose
silkstone ace
Seery - older version, can't remeber what the upper octave was like, I remember it being very session ready though.
if you have anything that might fit the bill just let me know

thanks all

Merry Christmas

yvie :D
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: WTB - a good whistle Uk only

Post by BigDavy »

Hi yvie

VAT and duty are not an issue within the EEC, the only issue is postage, and that will not be that much for a whistle.

A new Abell is ouside your price range, but an Ormiston would just fall within it.

A brand new Rose would cost you £190.

As to a Copeland - good luck :lol:

Checking on Ebay drew a blank for Sindt or Silkstone or Abell.

One maker not on your list is John Swayne - jemtheflute might be able to provide you with the appropriate contact details.

If you are talking airs, the nicest high whistle I have for playing airs is the B body in my Syn set - (it has A,Bb,B,C,Db,D,Eb and E bodies and 1 head) - your budget would get a set with enough to spare (check with Big Whistle or direct with Erle Bartlett - the maker - Syn Whistles on the forum).

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

The names glaringly missing from your list are Swayne, as Davy pointed out, and Bleazey. The latter has a website, Jon Swayne doesn't, but Google him and you should find contact details for him via a bag piping forum..... or we've put details for him here on C&F before - use the forum search. I don't have them to hand (if you get stuck, come back to me and I'll find them), but it's well worth phoning him. He's cheaper than quite a few others, and his whistles are IMO better than anyone else's.

Where in GB are you? Willy Simmons can be found at sessions in Liverpool as well as contacted through his website, and his whistles are stocked by some of the big mainstream classical flute dealers because of his Bohm flute making contacts. I think they are excellent to play, though I don't like his bulgy joint aesthetically - and of course they're about the most expensive on the market. His and Rose's are the best I've played after Swayne.

Carlos Nunez plays Swayne whistles - search on YouTube. Oh, and as well as from on my own YT and Boxnet files, you can hear my Swayne whistle in action with Y Glerorfa on our CD, tracks 1,3, 4 and 13 (up to top D on that) and here: http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php ... 658&ref=mf or here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CjlvTvjWNI (same set, different occasions - visible in 2nd one).
Last edited by jemtheflute on Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

Hi jem

I knew you played a Swayne, so that is why I suggested you as a source of John Swayne's contact details.

As a Bleazey player myself, I should not have missed him out :lol: :lol: Bleazey - a high D is £145 new. The whistle/flute player in the band I play in never brings a whistle to gigs now, for tunes, he purloins my Bleazey olivewood D and the Syn set covers songs in any other curcumstances.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
wizzywig

Post by wizzywig »

Get an OZwhistle, they are the best.
www.ozwhistles.com
wiz
:thumbsup:
bogman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by bogman »

If you've tried these whistles you're probably not going to get much help from suggestions here as everyone has their own preferences. For example, Abell and Oz make beautiful tuneful whistles but personally the tone is not for me. I can't see past Colin Goldies whistles (formerly Overton) but I can understand why others have other preferences. Probably best using your own ears, listening to great players to make your choice. FWIW here's one of Colin's whistles, to me the ultimate whistles for playability and expression if you know how to handle them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZCqDpghLVk
R Small
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by R Small »

If you're okay with aluminum check out Hans Bracker's whistles. As much volume as Susato but with a much nicer sound and easier 2nd octave.
yvie

Post by yvie »

Thanks to all with the suggestions, I have aquired a Chris Abell in blackwood and silver, few years old in great condition,

as soon as she arrives next week I will let you know how she handles.

thanks again

Yvie :D