Security

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
jim stone

Security

Post by jim stone »

I've been playing a Sweetheart A fife in front of a local super market. I stand off to one side,
beside the shopping carts, and play Irish tunes and Christmas carols. Two days ago I made
41 dollars in an hour.

Today I noticed a large, mean looking security guard was watching me closely. He was wearing a black jacket
marked 'Security.' 'Here it comes, I thought. Sure enough, he finally walked over, stood squarely in front of me
and said: 'I have a question to ask you.'

OK, I said.

'When you play that instrument I feel very peaceful inside and all the troubles of my life go away.
Why is that?'

'I don't know,' I said, 'but it makes me feel the same way.'

'Also I notice that children who pass by think it's, like, magic. Why?'

'I guess they've never seen anything like it.'

'Thanks for playing here,' he said.

'Merry Christmas,' I said and reached out and shook his hand.

Crazy world.
Berti66
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Security

Post by Berti66 »

awww. this totally gave me goosebumps.
nuff said :)
Alan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: From the land beyond beyond. From the time past hope and fear. I bid you, Genie, now appear! Well, the Genie did not appear but the notification to type at least 100 characters did so I am back and typing some more as you, if anyone actually sees this, can probably tell.

Post by Alan »

Nice! :)
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

Very sane. Thank you!
dwest

Post by dwest »

I would have said "Drop the weapon!" "Now back away!" But I like this version better even though a fife is involved.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Nice story, Jim.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
emmline

Post by emmline »

love it.
Denny

Post by Denny »

:D :thumbsup: :D
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Music being played by regular people, out loose in the community, with no agents, handlers or publicists. What a concept! :lol:
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

And I thought this was gonna be an airport horror story. Thanks for brightening the day, Jim.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I have a not too dissimilar one; a couple weeks ago I went out busking on Grafton St. I don't do this very often in fact very rarely but a friend of mine rang me asking if I wanted to. Well we did''t get much money (about 21 Euro in 2 hours split between 3 people) but we enjoyed ourselves. Now this past Friday I went into my usual session in O'Donoghue's pub and there is a junkie who often begs outside of it. Now, I don't like to give out money to beggars on principle but I don't mind giving out a cigarette because if someone is out begging they obviously can't afford a pack for 8.50 Euro; so I have often given this guy cigarettes. So usually if I see him I will at least say hi in hopes that it might brighten his day to be treated like a human being instead of nothing; which is how a lot of people treat beggars in many cities. So this past week he asked me for a light and I gave him one. Then he says to me 'I heard you playing on Grafton St the other day; it sounded lovely.' Something along those lines; it is great to know that someone who is clearly down on their luck enjoyed the music I was playing. That is one of my main reasons for playing the music and is worth more to me than the 7 Euro I got for the actual busking.

I really enjoyed your story as well Jim; like Chas I though it was about airports.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Thanks, Jim, for posting the story. It was a breath of fresh air when sometimes I feel almost suffocated by what I hear and read in the news. Avery, thanks for posting your experience, as well.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

Good for you Jim. I play my harmonica in public when I'm waiting in line. I hate waiting but I enjoy playing. I know of the reactions you receive. In the winter time, sometimes when I'm shopping, I'll stop in front of stores before going in to play a carol.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

jim stone wrote:Crazy world.
You say that like you have never provided entropy.

I have only accidentally played in public, thumbs up to you.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
fiddlerwill
Tell us something.: I play traditional Irish and Scottish music.
"The beginner should approach style warily, realizing that it is an expression of self, and should turn resolutely away from all devices that are popularly believed to indicate style — all mannerisms, tricks, adornments. The approach to style is by way of plainness, simplicity, orderliness, sincerity."

Post by fiddlerwill »

Ive busked a lot. The biggest buzz is the old ladies who smile and say thank you. Makes my day. Notes are nice too :D
The mind is like a parachute; it only works when it is open.

Heres a few tunes round a table, first three sets;

http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/werty
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs-willie
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs