How many Sindt whistles in Japan

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Hiro Ringo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Hiro Ringo »

Finally my Sindt A whistle is here in my hand :smile:

Before my purchase, I never listened to its "real" tone because I never heard that there's even a whistle player using Sindt in Japan.
But the sound clip on the web where Dave Auty played "The History Man" with his Sindt C inspired me to purchase the whistle.And thanks Dave, Sindt tone is as good a character as I had expected. :smile:

This whistle can be flute-like pure, also can be rough(both in fascinating manners) with so called breathing technique. Thats what I was looking for.

OK, now talking about the subject, When I got my Sindt here, I just took for granted that my Sindt was the first to reach Japan.
But the fact was that John/Ann sent a Sindt whistle to an USA guy here before my purchase lol.
So, for the fact to be more accurate, I am "the first Japanese" who purchased Sindt whistle.
And from what Ann let me know, two Sindts are recognized here in Japan, and another one will arrive soon(purchase by another Japanese guy).

Only three Sindts in Japan?! I know a retailer here dealing with some of M.Burke whistles so I am sure that his whistles are wide-spread here sooner or later.
But about Sindt whistle, ONLY THREE?! What to say if it is the real fact....
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Congratulations on receiving your Sindt-They really are great whistles! I recently received a D and an Eb which I had ordered from John and Ann last July,and I was so impressed by them that I have ordered an 'A' whistle too! I am hoping that the 'A' whistle will have the same sort of 'traditional' sound (but improved intonation)as the higher whistles.My reasons for wanting an 'A' is because it is a useful key,and the lowest 'Generation' whistle available is a Bb! I am sure that you will enjoy playing your Sindt very much! :smile:
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

Congratulations on your new whistle! You'll love it. Sindts are excellent!
Hiro Ringo

Post by Hiro Ringo »

Thanks, kevin, and Blackhawk :smile:
I really longed for the arrival of my whistle. I read Peter Laban's review of this whistle so many times(Peter Laban refered to temperament issues on Sindt review) before the arrival.

I am still new to this whistle world so I first wondered what C natural issue is all about.

Now I understand they talked about minor 7th step(C natural in key of D):It is bit sharp in equal temperament/bit flat in just temperament.So its very interesting that so many people were grumbling about its C natural a bit sharp. If you hear what you hear, your ears touch the truth of the music. This phenomenon shows that you dont need to learn logical issues unnecessarily to understand any music(I tend to learn em though :smile:.

Now I am sure that Half-holing is the must-have very important method esp. if you tend to stick to just intonation oriented play.

Learning half-holing = Learning just intonation.

It seems, at least to me, John happens(or intends) to do a good thing by recommending half-holing method :smile:.
DaveAuty
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play the whistle, I used to play flute but have Dupuytren's contracture so can only play whistle now which is fine. Mostly play sessions around Canterbury Kent area.

Post by DaveAuty »

Hiro,

My pleasure! I hope you enjoy yours...and they get better with age! Next on my list is a Bb. If anyone has one to sell I would be interested...well I can dream can't I?

Dave.
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Hi Dave,I forgot to mention that I ordered a Bb tube to go with the A whistle.Now I just have to wait 8 months or so (mind you,my d and Eb arrived a good month earlier than I anticipated).Nice to know that the Sindts,like fine wine,improve with age!
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

On 2003-02-16 04:28, DaveAuty wrote:
Hiro,

My pleasure! I hope you enjoy yours...and they get better with age! Next on my list is a Bb. If anyone has one to sell I would be interested...well I can dream can't I?

Dave.
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I ordered a Sindt D. Then I did a complicated trade with Doc Jones and ended up with Sindts in D&C. I then did a long term loan to MurphyStout with the D, and he has decided he really likes it and wants to buy it. So he's sending me a check and now I've just been notified that the one I ordered is on the way. I had forgotten about it, but now I'm excited.
Hiro Ringo

Post by Hiro Ringo »

Hi,Dave.

And it is good for me that Sindt's mouthpiece is made of (almost)plastic.

I mean, I think of the allergy to metals(esp. to aluminum). I am not allergic at all but possible that my allergy will go active in the future.

To take this issue into account, my whistle should hold plastic mouthpiece(or wooden).
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

On 2003-02-15 06:16, Hiro Ringo wrote:

So, for the fact to be more accurate, I am "the first Japanese" who purchased Sindt whistle.
Wildly OT, but where do you live in Japan? I lived in Nagoya for a year, and I'm trying to get back over there this coming summer!

~Firefly
Hiro Ringo

Post by Hiro Ringo »

[/quote]

Wildly OT, but where do you live in Japan? I lived in Nagoya for a year, and I'm trying to get back over there this coming summer!

~Firefly
[/quote]

I am in Gunma :smile:
What whistle will you come along with there?
Tak_the_whistler

Post by Tak_the_whistler »

Hi Hiro,

Double 'Hi' in the greeting...forget that!

Aanyway, I live in Japan, too, though my citizenship is somewhere up in the sky...or some say in Glasgow....
Do you know Helga who runs another whistle message board (Japanese site)? I think I saw your name sometime ago. I learnt and still learning loads of whistle tips from his webpage. Very good indeed.

Hmhm, i see that you have a Sindt...try putting the mouthpiece on a Generation body and see what happens...hehehe ;p

Do you know any tinwhistle maker here in Japan? Perhaps we should set up a co. and make some!

<><
Tak (Not associated with Taco Bell)
Hiro Ringo

Post by Hiro Ringo »

Hi,Tak :smile:

Good to know theres good web site for Tin Whistles anyway. But I am not familiar with the name Helga. Actually this board has been the only Tin Whistle board which I used. At least for now.

And unfortunately, theres no tin whistle maker I know of in Japan. I doubt if theres even a single craftsman who is interested in Tin Whistle making.

But there are many craftsmen(I guess) for recorder and japanese traditional flute who are capable of making Tin Whistles. Let's hope they will get interested in Tin Whistle making :wink:
rosenlof

Post by rosenlof »

I'm leaving for Japan in less than two weeks. I guess I could take a Sindt with me and increase the population, temporarily.

There are certainly recorders being made in Japan, but I only know of those made by big companies like Yamaha, not by individuals.

When I was in Tsumago (southern Nagano pref.) a couple of years ago, a few of the souvenir shops sold bamboo whistles. They were really cheap (maybe 500 yen), but I didn't even try one.

I think traditional Japanese music can sound very nice on a whistle.
Blayne Chastain
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Blayne Chastain »

Rosenlof! Hey, you're not too far away me thinks... I'm in Greeley Colorado... Didn't notice your introduction to the board... A hearty welcome from another Northern Coloradoan! You can email me if you'd like as I'm not sure i'll check this thread again...

Peace,
Hiro Ringo

Post by Hiro Ringo »

edited
Last edited by Hiro Ringo on Tue Apr 29, 2003 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.