Jeanne d'Arc

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Uilliam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Jeanne d'Arc

Post by Uilliam »

Bon soir ye all oot there in cyberspace.Ah'm just back frae France.A most civilised country indeed and methinks I could live there quite happily,however I am here in Caledonia fer the noo .This is me in Jeanne d'Arc's wee hoose in Orléans.I suspect this is the 1st time the Uilleann pipes have been played there and I have been invited back for the St Jean celebrations to entertain the whole town next year :wink:

Pax Vobiscum Benedictus
Uilliam
Last edited by Uilliam on Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
BigDavy

Re: Jean d'Arc

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Uilliam

If they annoy you, ye kin gie them laldie wi yon claymore :lol: :lol:

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
John O'Gara

Post by John O'Gara »

Uilliam,

Is there any history behind that claymore you're toting there?
Get down on your knees and thank God you're on your feet !
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Och, you've stripped poor Jeanne of her maidenhood! :lol:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

MTGuru wrote:Och, you've stripped poor Jeanne of her maidenhood! :lol:
:boggle: :boggle: :boggle: Whit ???

As for the Clay mhor I have no idea, twas attached to the suit of armour shewn in the foty. .. .I was told that in Jean's army there was a lot of Scots merceneries,so perhaps thats why they have it.But then there where a few in the English army as well.. I will find oot.
Uilliam
CHasR

Re: Jean, Jeanne, Joan

Post by CHasR »

yo. we got GOLD Joan. nnyahh. :P Played French pipes standin there, but not Uilleann, yet. :D
mayo_piper

Post by mayo_piper »

Hey Uilliam, is that a blackwatch kilt your wearing ???
"A man's only as old as the woman he feels..."

~Groucho Marx
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Uilliam wrote:
En français, "Jeanne" (pron. zhunn) is the feminine form of "Jean" (pron. zhahn, in this case with that characteristic nasalised soft French N)...which is "John". So MTGuru's saying that Jean d'Arc ain't no lady. :wink:

IOW, it would rightly be "Jeanne d'Arc" in French, and of course conventionally that is "Joan of Arc" (pron. joan) in English...in which language it could've just as correctly been "Jean of Arc" (which by virtue of abandoning the apostrophetical D for an "of", is now pron. jeen), but who knows what further diplomatic troubles that would have caused; could've also rightly been "Jane of Arc" (pron. jain), but, well, it isn't. Same with "Jenny" (pron. jenny).
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Re: Jeanne d'Arc

Post by PJ »

Well done Uilliam.

Here the statue of Jeanne d'Arc in Quebec city (although I doubt if she's been here!):

PJ
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Nanohedron wrote:
Uilliam wrote:
En français, "Jeanne" (pron. zhunn) is the feminine form of "Jean" (pron. zhahn, in this case with that characteristic nasalised soft French N)...which is "John". So MTGuru's saying that Jean d'Arc ain't no lady. :wink:

IOW, it would rightly be "Jeanne d'Arc" in French, and of course conventionally that is "Joan of Arc" (pron. joan) in English...in which language it could've just as correctly been "Jean of Arc" (which by virtue of abandoning the apostrophetical D for an "of", is now pron. jeen), but who knows what further diplomatic troubles that would have caused; could've also rightly been "Jane of Arc" (pron. jain), but, well, it isn't. Same with "Jenny" (pron. jenny).
Ah... but in la lingo de Uilliam there is nae feminine nor masculine for we are all equaleth, nor any rules o grammar fer that matter . :wink:
But I do appreciate the correction and MT's wit tae boot so thankye fer taking the time to point it oot tae moi.
So in the interest o Bon Homie I will change it immediately.Thanks.
Uilliam
ps Mayo It is ..family connections.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

John O'Gara wrote:Uilliam,

Is there any history behind that claymore you're toting there?
mm

Given the era, it's probably more accurate to call it a great sword or hand-and-a-half sword. The scots went on using swords of this design long after it was abandoned by more modern armies, but Jeanne d'Arc belongs to the high middle ages, when such weapons were at their peak.

The point to a sword that heavy is to generate enough momentum behind a blow to penetrate plate armour. When the growing power of missile weapons - first the english longbow* and then firearms - rendered plate armour obsolete, the great sword became likewise obsolete.

It's hung on in the highlands due to the conservatism, relative poverty, and relative equality of the clansmen, but its worth noting that after this the scots didn't win many more battles (& no wars) against the english.

*Only a handful of years before Joan, a hugely outnumbered english army had proven that missiles beat armour when they wiped out the flower of french chivalry at the battle of Agincourt, at which some 7,000 french knights were killed vs about 500 english casualties. Already by this point of the hundred years war, guns were beginning to appear. By the end of it, guns had made both plate armour and medieval fortifications (castles) passé.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Whit are ye babbling on aboot??? :puppyeyes:
claidheamh mòr, or claymore means Great sword so it is perfectly correct ta call it by its proper name,none o yer Saxon gibberish " it's probably more accurate to call it a great sword or hand-and-a-half sword" There is no probable aboot it at all it is a claidheamh mòr.

It was certainly in use in Jeanne's time and as the Scots mercenaries where probably to a man Gaelic speakers why would they want to call it by a name such as a hand and a half or great sword in an alien tongue , when their normal language would be calling it claidheamh? :really: Eh?what is yoor reasoning fer assuming otherwise?

We have won many battles since the Wars o Independence... look at the Wars o the Three Kingdoms then the more modern Jacobite Risings. Whilst not many ( as the basket sword had gained in popularity), the claymore was by no means absent.

Then there wis the Great Poll Tax Rebellion :wink:

Agincourt was won bythe fortuitous position of the English and the quagmire which bogged doon the french chivalry reducing their Heavy chivalry to a mere walk with no shock impact frae the charge..Hand to hand fighting decided the day with the French Chivalry severely handicapped by their Armour in glutinous mud.I have no doubt whitsoever had it not been for the mud the French heavy Chivalry would have swept the english awa.

Soooo claidheamh mòr it twas is and will remain so ...
Oiche mhaith
Last edited by Uilliam on Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
ferris54

Post by ferris54 »

The only battles the Scots have won in recent times is a pitch invasion of Wembley which resulted in the home championships being abandoned. The English even stole your oil off you.
Jäger

Post by Jäger »

s1m0n wrote:*Only a handful of years before Joan, a hugely outnumbered english army had proven that missiles beat armour when they wiped out the flower of french chivalry at the battle of Agincourt, at which some 7,000 french knights were killed vs about 500 english casualties. Already by this point of the hundred years war, guns were beginning to appear. By the end of it, guns had made both plate armour and medieval fortifications (castles) passé.
Let's not forget the battle of Crecy in 69 years prior to that!
Last edited by Jäger on Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fye now Johnnie, get up and rin
The hieland bagpipes make a din
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

How could we fergit it :boggle:
Agin twas almost identical to Agincourt viz the mud turning to quagmire thus bogging doon the French Chivalry who had charged prematurely aginst Phillips orders .Just as it was repeated at Agincourt with the Chivalry aff afore they where told to coz they wis impatient.Twas Welsh archers at Crécy BTW not English.

Ferris old chap, whit is it wi ye?. :love:
Pees to ye all.