David Daye chanter

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
ImNotIrish
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

David Daye chanter

Post by ImNotIrish »

Hi all,

I just received my David Daye chanter , with the delrin covering. Nice, though I find it a little narrow (not a biggie). What I am concerned about is the fact that he sent it with a reed which need two plastic rushes and a paper rush, and it still has the gurgling bottom 'D' issue. I haven't checked the tuning against a tuner yet, but it sounds okay... I am just surprised to find this amount of crap inside the chanter, especially when they are as uniform a they are. I want to get a back up reed from him, but now I am not so sure.... Looking at the one that's in there, I feel it was a rushed job.
Arbo
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: David Daye chanter

Post by fancypiper »

How familiar are you with the uilleann bagpipes?

I have never had the pleasure of playing a chanter without rushes.

I was amazed that both Liam O'Flynn and Paddy Keenan let me inspect their sets. Both of those chanters were made by Leo Rowsome and both had rushes.

A new reed, even with David's grain raising and "heat" ageing treatments, will still be a bit stubborn and need a bit of "blowing in" and I believe he includes the rushes so that the chanter/reed combo will work in all climates.

I would try first removing one of the rushes. If that doesn't cure it, try sliding the bridle towards the lips so that the lips open slightly and see if the gurgling bottom D is helped.

You can try adding a bit of poster putty in the bell so that it narrows the bell opening.

I just wish his standard reeds would work in my Mark Hillmann chanter. I have lots of "stuff" inside my chanter to tune it against the drones. He made me a great reed when he was still in Ohio that worked great, but I foolishly let a student borrow the reed and never saw the student again. :cry:
Last edited by fancypiper on Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hpinson

Post by hpinson »

That is normal. As far as I know, David ships all his Concert D chanters with the two rushes, but that does not necessarily mean they are needed, and I also believe he includes written instructions for using them. I've never needed to rush mine, though sometimes I do stuff the bell a bit to help the hard D (and that varies with the atmosphere). Your mileage may vary, but I think what you describe can mainly be attributed to a new reed that needs to be played in.

Take everything out of the chanter and then play it every day for ten minutes or so for a few weeks (which breaks in the reed), and only then re-evaluate the gurgle. At that point, you would want to experiment with opening or closing the reed lips a tiny bit via the bridle (be very careful), or fiddling with stuffing the bell of the chanter. You might at that point also want to experiment with the rushes and note how the chanter behaves with and without them.

David makes some of the best reeds available. Almost all the reeds I've seen coming from him are excellent, but it is possible that for one reason or another a reed has a problem or fails. Best to talk directly with David if you experience problems.

Checking the chanter against a tuner that does not support "Just" intonation will just lead to frustration. Most tuners use equal tempermant which Uilleann chanters are not tuned to. Search this forum for more information on "Just" intonation. You may have some wrong assumptions about the nature of your chanter.

Good Luck! You bought a great chanter.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

I've had one of David's Penney Chanters for over ten years. Lovely. Still has the original reed, with a nearly feather light 'blow'. It came original with a small plastic rush, and I've seldom had to 'jigger' it.
David is a World-Class Reed Maker.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions..... I shall just sit with it and slowly break in the reed as suggested and see how things progress.
Arbo
mike spencer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mike spencer »

If you are having reed trouble like autocran ,gurgling on low 'd',then email David Daye and ask for his advice.He will tell you how to fix it.Mike.
mike spencer
Taffyboy

Post by Taffyboy »

Hi
I had a DD set of pipes i found it a great chanter to play/learn on but had no inserts. as with the good advice given ,
why not contact david D direct he's very approachable and helpful
taff
wayneo

Post by wayneo »

First move the bridle up, so that the reed lips are not so closed down.
If that does not help, take a small peice of paper about 3/8" long.
Make a small tube of it and insert it into the bottom of the reed.
Allow it to protrude about 1/8" out.
Between the two that should help.
As an owner of a David Daye half set, I find his reeds and instrument outstanding for the monies.
All the best,
Wayneo

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
Groucho Marx
mayo_piper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mayo_piper »

...and if you think you are having fun with Daye's D chanter - try buying one of his C chanter's ... they use the same reed! I love switching between my D chanter and my C chanter and using the same reed!

For Christmas I am going to put some C drones on my list :lol:
"A man's only as old as the woman he feels..."

~Groucho Marx
piperhahn

Post by piperhahn »

I have had the pleasure of playing 3 of his chanters and taking 1 out of the box being shipped to NC and have to say. David's equipment is about the absolute best investment you can make as a beginning piper. the book he sends and the rushes and everything make dealing with any difficulties completely managable, but I've found with the 3 chanters I've seen and played that no one has had any troubles with them, but if somehow you're having troubles I second everyone else here who has said to give him a call and he'll help you out. his stuff is amazing. I can say the same about Seth Gallaghers pipes. I played a new D starter set today and literally pulled the thing out of the box, put the chanter reed in and played for 15 minutes with no need for adjustment or anything. Just total solid in-tune music.. and the construction is absolutely top notch. (both on the David Daye and the Gallagher, but of course to different levels) there are makers out there that are making absolute garbage though and if you have any questions as a beginner feel free to ask. of course this forum won't allow it spoken about in public, but I'd be happy to PM anyone with questions.

Dr. Eric