Bargain of the week or White Elephant?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Hulbert
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Bargain of the week or White Elephant?

Post by Hulbert »

Hello again

In my first post earlier this week I said 'hello' and I posted an odd little 'whistle' I spotted on Ebay (I spend too much time and MONEY buying things to blow on there) 'Odd' whistle was kindly identified MTGURU

Anyway I've been on Ebay again and just picked up this whopper for what seems a bargain price:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

LOOK at the size of that lad, seen a clip on Kerry Whistles site of Phil Hardy playing one they're HUGE

Anybody have experience with these?

Is it 'Bargain of the week or White Elephant'?

Surprised at the tuning slide, thought these were one piece

'Review' to follow when it lands in UK

Hulbert
Last edited by Hulbert on Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Clarinetcat

Re: Bargain of the week or White Elephant?

Post by Clarinetcat »

Hulbert wrote:Anyway I've been on Ebay again and just picked up this whopper for what seems a bargain price:

I was going to bid on it, but let it go.

I'd say you got it at a decent price, as according to the website, new Kerry tunable A's go for about $190'ishUSD

Enjoy! :thumbsup:
Time is a great teacher.
Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.

- Hector Berlioz
Hulbert

Post by Hulbert »

Clarinetcat wrote:
Hulbert wrote:Anyway I've been on Ebay again and just picked up this whopper for what seems a bargain price:

I was going to bid on it, but let it go.

I'd say you got it at a decent price, as according to the website, new Kerry tunable A's go for about $190'ishUSD

Enjoy! :thumbsup:
Sadly I am looking at around $40.00 P&P to UK which makes it slightly less a bargain. Why is post from US so expensive? I sent a Low 'D' from UK to NY last month, $15.00 including full insurance cover

Currently unemployed with Xmas looming it isn't the best time to buy BUT how often do these turn up at this price?

May have to sort through the whistle drawer and have a fundraiser, sure I have a couple of items that are neglected

Thanks for the good wishes

Hulbert
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

Hulbert wrote: Sadly I am looking at around $40.00 P&P to UK which makes it slightly less a bargain. Why is post from US so expensive? I sent a Low 'D' from UK to NY last month, $15.00 including full insurance cover
They're probably mailing it priority so they're able to insure it. I just mailed an Overton low C to Australia (non-priority). I put it in heavy duty 2" PVC piping which could probably handle a car running over it and it only cost me $25 ($30 when I add the cost of the piping and end caps).
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

..Or maybe the shipping charge is where they're making their profit.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Hulbert

Post by Hulbert »

s1m0n wrote:..Or maybe the shipping charge is where they're making their profit.
No ... checked the price myself with USPS as the gent said above the 'Priority' option comes at a premium

No complaints though a Low 'A' at less than £100.00 Sterling inc P&P is pretty good

I paid nearly £200.00 for a Low 'D' that came from 30 miles down the road recently

Hulbert
weedie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by weedie »

Whenever I buy goodies from the U.S.of A. ,I always try and go for the USPS First Class Mail International option....reasonable prices and (touch wood) I 've not had any dramas...
Looking forward to the Low C's arrival Jim :)
" Quiet is quite nice " ..... weedie .....
hans
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

It may well be a bargain AND a white elephant!
You may find it very challenging to finger, perhaps even impossible, depending on your hand/finger sizes. You need to use piper's grip and probably use your right hand pinky finger instead of your ring finger to cover the bottom hole.
Hulbert

Post by Hulbert »

AT LAST ... a comment about the whistle rather than the P&P

(JTC covered that nicely, Weedie has given me useful information for the future, s1mon well not sure about his 'input' accusing the Ebay seller of making undue profit on the P&P is a shade cynical I feel OR perhaps he is correct I am being ripped off ..... everyone knows it only cost pennies to send nearly three feet of heavy aluminium piping across the Atlantic GGGRRRR)

Anyway 'pinky' you say, oh dear that may be an issue, I am over 6ft 3in and have proportionally HUGE hands so I hope I will be okay BUT due to a mishap with some sheet metal a few years back I have a lot of VERY inflexible scar tissue on the underside of my right ‘pinky’ it’s near useless frankly (there was talk of amputation at one time)

Can only do my best when it lands, if it’s a no go I’m sure I will at least get my money back if I post on here or Ebay it

Thanks Hans

Hulbert
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Hulbert

Wait till you get stung for import duty, VAT and Post Office handling charges on top of the rest :(

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

You may have to play with your shoes off and "toe" that lowest A
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Hulbert

Post by Hulbert »

Davy: Already taken that into account mate

Paul: I hope not

Hulbert
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Why is post from US so expensive?
The USPS website does not give you quotes for all options. In fact it looks liek they only quote you for the msot expensive option.

I recently bought a Sindt D from a member of the forum, he quoted me 25 (I think, possibly even more) for postage (US to Ireland), which is what the website suggested. I told him to go to the post-office and post it either as fixed rate airmail or second class. The whistle arrived three days later, the postage was $6.78.

Providing the seller is not trying to pull a fast one on you, tell him to get a quote at the PO and charge you actual cost.
My brain hurts

hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

Hulbert wrote:Anyway 'pinky' you say, oh dear that may be an issue, I am over 6ft 3in and have proportionally HUGE hands so I hope I will be okay BUT due to a mishap with some sheet metal a few years back I have a lot of VERY inflexible scar tissue on the underside of my right ‘pinky’ it’s near useless frankly (there was talk of amputation at one time)
IF you need to use the pinky to reach the bottom hole, and IF your right pinky is not up to the job, you could try swapping hands: right for the top and left for the bottom holes! That will exercise your brain quite nicely as well, and you end up being an ambi-dexterous whistle player!
Hulbert

Post by Hulbert »

Thanks Mr. G but I think we've said all we can about the P&P, I've already paid the lad $40.00. I got the whistle dirt cheap so if he is making a few bob on the P&P (which I don't believe he is) good luck to him

Hans: I don't know about that I used to play Sax/Clarinet and it took me a year to stop rolling my left thumb for the octave key when I first started on whistle, going 'ambi' will send me insane I fear

Hulbert