anyone else is payng with/living with a screeching backD?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
rgouette
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

~Jesus of Nazareth

anyone else is payng with/living with a screeching backD?

Post by rgouette »

Just wondering if other folk have a back D that will screech under higher pressure unless backed off a bit?
mine does, but it seems fairly livable, if I don't lay into it..
I guess "higher" is pretty relative...

R
islander
Tell us something.: Hello there. How are you? I'm just updating my profile, deleting info and writing stuff here to show i'm not a spammer because i'm an actual human being.

Re: anyone else is payng with/living with a screeching backD?

Post by islander »

I hope you can get rid of the screeching, I have had that in two reeds and it was really annoying. The second reed also screeched on the second octave a and b. Both reeds were otherwise very good and had a great sound and were loud. I tried to fix the problem in various ways (even oiled the cane parts) but eventually ended up ruining both of them by overscarping and trimming. The other reed was made by a well known pipemaker and the other one was my own.

I'd like to know what causes the screeching to try to avoid building it into future reeds. Any ideas?..

Samppa
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

More commonly the problem I've had is a sinking/two-tone back D requiring less pressure to keep it in tune.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

rgouette wrote:Just wondering if other folk have a back D that will screech under higher pressure unless backed off a bit?

R
You might have a leak close to the binding. Try a little nail varnish on the sides of the reed.
PJ
rgouette
Tell us something.: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

~Jesus of Nazareth

Post by rgouette »

yeah good thinkin PJ..
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

rgouette wrote:Just wondering if other folk have a back D that will screech under higher pressure unless backed off a bit?

R
Just turned the heat on in your house too, dintcha?? :lol: cant fool me :D
billh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by billh »

I associate this also with reeds that are too stiff. Since stiffness of reed blades may be increased by dry conditions, it makes sense that it may come on in winter - especially if your reed setup is such that it also opens under dry conditions (this depends on details of reed construction). An overly hard-blowing reed often has this problem also.

Is the back d rather sharp when this happens to you?
rgouette

~Jesus of Nazareth

Post by rgouette »

when I back of the pressure, it sounds great.
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

When the weather changes, I drag out the old humidifier and get it steaming so that I can have better than 45% humidity.

The first thing I check for on any reed problem is leaks. Leaks in the binding can drive you nuts, so scrub the binding with wax and polish with a cane scrap. A white wood glue (Elmer's) is good for sealing the sides of the reed.

Assuming no reed / reed seat / chanter leaks, then you may have an unbalanced scrape.

How does the reed crow? Is there a whistle sound before the reed completely closes? If so, then the lips aren't closing all the way across at the same time. If the center line is too thin, then when the reed attempts to close, there is a leak on one or both sides of the reed. If the center line is too thick, there will be a leak in the middle of the lips.

You will need to examine the reed closely while pressing just above the bridle and using magnification.

Hopefully, there will be enough meat in the reed to scrape out the lip leaks.
WannabePiper

Post by WannabePiper »

@ straycat- the 2-tone back D has long been my #1 problem. Perhaps a seperate thread for that is in order?
billh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by billh »

Hmm, do you perhaps mean a "breaking" back d? (as opposed to a sinking back d)...
rgouette

~Jesus of Nazareth

Post by rgouette »

boy, what did we do B.P.F.? (before piping forums)

maybe I should whip together a recording of the screech tonight..
so all can hear the thing.

thanks all for the great reed knowledge transfer!
Dinner Ken

Post by Dinner Ken »

straycat82 wrote:More commonly the problem I've had is a sinking/two-tone back D requiring less pressure to keep it in tune.
Is that a very common problem? I've been 'playing around' it. Like, easing off the pressure a good bit when coming down from high up in the 2nd octave for example. It takes no less pressure than the rest of the low octave though... :-?

Cheers :D
Actual meal may differ from that illustrated.
fancypiper

Post by fancypiper »

Dinner Ken wrote:
straycat82 wrote:More commonly the problem I've had is a sinking/two-tone back D requiring less pressure to keep it in tune.
Is that a very common problem? I've been 'playing around' it. Like, easing off the pressure a good bit when coming down from high up in the 2nd octave for example. It takes no less pressure than the rest of the low octave though... :-?

Cheers :D
Fairly common, I would say. When making my reeds, I keep the last 2-3 mm of the lips a bit thicker than the rest of the scrape. If the reed is played too closed, the back D tends to sink as well as bottom D wants to gurgle rather than play hard D.
WannabePiper

Post by WannabePiper »

billh wrote:Hmm, do you perhaps mean a "breaking" back d? (as opposed to a sinking back d)...
I think that's a better term, for me at least. A slight increase in pressure causes an abrupt half-tone drop in pitch.