How many tunes do you know?

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Clarinetcat
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

How many tunes do you know?

Post by Clarinetcat »

Hello all, happy weekend!

I've been reading alot recently about ITM, and sessions, and how different folks learn tunes, etc.

It seems most folks have tunes completely memorized when they play. This started me thinking about how many different tunes ITM musicians are exposed to through their experiences with other musicians, practice time at home, sheet music, etc.

I thought it might be a nice conversation starter for people to share their own personal experiences about how many tunes they know well and are able to play from memory.

So, how many tunes do you know? If possible, please include how many years you have studied and performed ITM on your instrument (or instruments).
Time is a great teacher.
Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.

- Hector Berlioz
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: How many tunes do you know?

Post by MTGuru »

Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Clarinetcat
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Clarinetcat »

Dangit! I even did a search too, but "How many tunes" by title only are "too common words".

Thanks kindly, I'll read them tomorrow!
Time is a great teacher.
Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.

- Hector Berlioz
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Well, what's the harm in one more?

Hint: When the internal search bombs, try a Google site search.
Clarinetcat wrote:It seems most folks have tunes completely memorized when they play.
Yes ... But you know, "memorize" doesn't seem quite right here. even if there's work involved. Think of a favorite melody or a pop song - say, "Happy Birthday". You know it, but it hardly feels like you've memorized it as such. It's just there in your head and under your fingers, acquired by the osmosis of exposure and repetition. And it's tricky to talk of memorization when you may play a tune differently every time.

One reason that it's hard to cite specific numbers is that repertoire is not monolithic. There are tunes you've thoroughly worked out personal settings for, tunes you can join in on with confidence, tunes you know well enough to get through with some style, tunes in your head but maybe not quite yet under the fingers, maybe on one instrument but not another, tunes half learned and in various stages of acquisition ... or de-acquisition ...

Judging from the people I usually session with, I'd guess 600 to 1200 tunes is probably a fair baseline for each individual - some certainly have more - with experience ranging from 10 to 40 years with this music.

When I first started sessioning, I embarked on a crash course of learning ~100 of the local warhorse tunes over a period of month or so. That provided a good foundation for both confidence and growth. And because of the nature of the music, the more tunes you have, the easier it can be to acquire more.

Of course, size isn't everything. :-) But, as in many folk traditions, it does count for something. Tradition bearers with a large repertoire - and all the other tune, source, and style information that goes with that repertoire - may be very highly regarded as living repositories.

colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

For what it's worth: I've been estimating I knew 500 tunes for about eight years now, after making a list of a couple hundred tunes I had in common with a friend back in 2002. However, I did my best to enter every tune I could remember knowing in Alan Ng's my.irishtune.info database earlier this year, and came up with a list of 216 tunes. Now, that list is definitely missing approximately 100 tunes I know that aren't things in his database -- lots of Canadian tunes and my own compositions, for instance. And it's probably missing tunes that I forgot to add, or forgot I know -- for instance, I played tunes with some lovely new folks this week, and they reminded me of a couple of great old jigs I hadn't thought about in years.

My best estimate is that there are probably 350-450 tunes I know well enough to at least muddle through on my own, and maybe another 100 polkas, slides, singles, and doubles that I could play along with if someone who knew what they were doing them. So either my earlier estimate was off, or I've been forgetting tunes as fast as I learn them!
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Jäger

Post by Jäger »

I've been playing for about 2½ years now, and I'm starting to approach the 100-mark. At least including those tunes that, for me, are "session only", the ones I only pull off when playing with someone and would muck up pretty badly if I did them by myself, for one reason or another.
Fye now Johnnie, get up and rin
The hieland bagpipes make a din
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I think MTGuru's "fair baseline" for each individual is about right. I would guess that I'm about at the top of that range, but that's after 40-odd years playing this music. FWIW, my guess is based on the fact that I know I know 1000 tunes, 'cos that's about the number you get if you add up the various "lists" dotted around the place on scraps of paper plus some in electronic form, etc (I think a lot of trad musicians keep these lists, but most seem to be about as chaotic as me in the organising of them). In addition, I think I know an extra 500 or so, based on the number of times it happens that someone will start a tune at a session and I will happily charge straight into it, in one of those "Oh, that one, that's a good one" sort of moments. And I'd take off a couple of hundred for those tunes that I don't know I no longer know. In summary, there are tunes I know I know, tunes I don't know I know, but there are also tunes I don't know I don't know, some of which may be tunes I think I know. All of this is, of course, in a constant state of flux, since tunes are forever being added in at one end, and dropping off at the back end.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I don't know.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Cathy Wilde wrote:I don't know.
Well start counting, you lazy git! :lol:

Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

:lol: You're right, I suppose I should. But I'd rather play tunes than count them (as long as someone else starts the damn things; I've reached saturation point, I'm afraid). :)

We've tried keeping lists on various occasions but we keep losing the notebooks, etc. that they're in. Sigh.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
cboody

Post by cboody »

I prefer Joanie Madden's line "I've got the library but I've lost the card catalog." I've really no idea how many or even how to define "know."
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

I started keeping a list on spreadsheet of the tunes I had learned off by heart.
There are about 120 of these. I have more tunes, but I don't want to add to the spreadsheet, as I can get the printout on one A4 piece of paper, which I keep in my pocket. It has the first couple of bars of each tune in ABC notation, so it's a useful prompt.
Every now and again I think: "I should add that one to the list". Really I need one pocket list and one comprehensive list. If I was bothered.
But those are tunes I play on the whistle. In fact, they're tunes I play on the high D whistle. I play others on the C and B, and the Low E, D & C. And there are the tunes I play on the Willowflute - which are mostly Scandinavian Trad, although I can play some ITM on it.
Then there are the tunes I know in guitar, most of which are classical, although I do pick out a few ITM tunes and some O'Carolan pieces.

I shouldn't think I was near the baseline 600 that MTGuru says. Maybe half that. But then I'm just a tyro in comparison.

One odd thing is that I can play a great many more tunes than I can recognise when they are played by someone else, say; tunes I know on the whistle I don't recognise when they're played on the fiddle or accordian. Once or twice I've fancied learning something I've heard that way, and when I ask what it is, it's one I "already know".
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
loic

Post by loic »

I stopped counting at 10. I didn't have enough fingers after.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

loic wrote:I stopped counting at 10. I didn't have enough fingers after.
:lol: And you would be needing those to play!
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Cathy Wilde wrote:
loic wrote:I stopped counting at 10. I didn't have enough fingers after.
:lol: And you would be needing those to play!
Nah - ya only need 6!!! Unless, of course, you're playing with those key-thingees.

:wink:

P.S. Last time I counted, I was over 100 - but then I've only been doing this stuff for about 3 years!
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV