5 Tunes you Hate

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Re: 5 Tunes you Hate

Post by I.D.10-t »

What about Howe's 1,000 Jigs and Reels or Ryan's Mammoth Collection, 1050 Reels and Jigs?
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Those two are dead easy to get, published by Mel Bay. T'other one - well, perhaps it's me, but I don't know the other, and I can't find it.
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

benhall.1 wrote:I think so too, and that collection you mentioned sounds interesting. I've seen references to it, but can't seem to find it ...
http://www.amazon.com/Irish-Traditional ... 0977053024

It is not on amazon.co.uk
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Well, that might explain why I couldn't find it. Thanks Hans.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

benhall.1 wrote:Those two are dead easy to get, published by Mel Bay.
I was wondering more on how they worked in the tradition and if they were comparable to O'Neill's. I have Howe's, but that is all.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Ah, you'd have to do the research to answer that. I have views on it, but not terribly well backed up by actual knowledge. So, FWIW, I would say that Howe's and Ryan's would have more to do with an already established American tradition, whereas, although O'Neill seems to have borrowed some tunes (or transcribed new versions of them?) from the earlier collections, he was predominantly collecting from Irish musicians who happened to be in the States at that time. Boiling breakfast, I believe.
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

BTW, you should buy Miller and Perron's book while you can. I see that Amazon only has three left. The book has gone in and out of print over the years. You can also buy it directly from Randy, who is worth supporting, rather than from Gargantua.
I used to live in New Hampshire and have played with Randy Miller over the years. Jack Perron (co-author) became a tennis pro. Randy's brother, Rodney Miller, of whom you might have heard, is an esteemed fiddle maker as well as being a superb musician.

http://www.randymillerprints.com/fiddletunebooks.htm

There is also (Randy with the cap): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtCMcZiGZKs

and: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7xmz39zhSk

And Rodney: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxSv7QDN ... re=related and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E328Nq4gyno&NR=1

And returning to the OP, I see that on Rod Miller's CD the first tune is.... is.... a great contra dance tune.....
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/rodneymiller3
And for that it seems to work fine.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

That's neat background, JD; thanks! Larry has that Miller & Perron book and I always wondered what its story was. I figured they did a fair amount of contra dance playing as there's a somewhat "different"/American feel to some of the settings. Speaking of which, there are some really interesting settings & alternative takes in there (I mean that in a good way)!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

benhall.1 wrote:Why do you think that O'Neill's consists of "fiddle tunes", Doug? They're just tunes - for any instrument. They were collected from fiddlers, pipers, fluters and possibly others, but I haven't heard the recordings of those, if they exist.

And which edition are you uing, of which O'Neill's collection? I'm just interested, because, if it's the Miles Krassen, most of it's unplayable on any instrument.
I'm replying to your question after considerable discussion that has come before, yes, I do have the "O'Neill's Music of Ireland" by Miles Krassen, copyright 1976. On the cover of of the book in large bold letters, "Over 1,000 Fiddle Tunes" is printed, so that is why I made the reference to fiddle tunes, although I understand that they are simply tunes that can be played on a variety of melody instruments. I play the tunes with the fiddle, mandolin, and flute, none very well, I should add.

I have some learning disability when it comes to listening to someone talk or play music and being able to remember or process it fully. It is difficult for me to learn anything unless I have some visual reference. That is why I have been a life-long reader of written music, because I don't have to remember anything. Aware of my handicaps, I focus on my strengths and live mostly in the here-and-now.

I do like Rodney Miller's fiddle playing.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Doug_Tipple wrote:
benhall.1 wrote: And which edition are you uing, of which O'Neill's collection? I'm just interested, because, if it's the Miles Krassen, most of it's unplayable on any instrument.
I'm replying to your question after considerable discussion that has come before, yes, I do have the "O'Neill's Music of Ireland" by Miles Krassen, copyright 1976. On the cover of of the book in large bold letters, "Over 1,000 Fiddle Tunes" is printed, so that is why I made the reference to fiddle tunes, although I understand that they are simply tunes that can be played on a variety of melody instruments. I play the tunes with the fiddle, mandolin, and flute, none very well, I should add.
Not to get into it any further, but the Krassen book (which I accidentally purchased, early on) is a disaster. His attempts at teaching (presumably Sligo fiddle) ornaments often leave the tune incomplete - how to know what the bare bones of a tune are when he's got you rolling through parts that once were melodies? And often in settings I've never heard anyone else use (although, to be fair, I learned most of my settings from E. Galway sources). The original O'Neill's collections, 1000 Jigs and Reels, and Music of Ireland (much crossover there) are a fantastic resource; not perfect, but not some academic's idea of how Irish is supposed to be played, either.
johnkerr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by johnkerr »

benhall.1 wrote:Those two are dead easy to get, published by Mel Bay.
I would only trust a tune setting if it came from the Miltown Mel Bay. But maybe that's just me.
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

As the OP, continue any and all side conversations at will. Doesn't bother me a bit. Carry on. 8)
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Akiba wrote:As the OP, continue any and all side conversations at will. Doesn't bother me a bit. Carry on. 8)
As you wish. :-) And continuing the derailment in gentle defense of Krassen ...

Back in the pre-Amazon Dark Ages of 1977, between the Pax Romana of the folk scare and the Riverdance Renaissance, finding an Irish tunebook locally in Nowhere, USA was as likely as tripping over the holy grail. Then, thanks to both Krassen and to Oak's commitment to never-very-profitable folk music publishing, the O'Neill's edition appeared, and the heavens parted. For a poor student like me just starting out, $6.95 for a compendium of this size and typographic quality, indexed and annotated - and available - was a real god-send.

I think it's easy for younger players now in an age of instant internet glut and gratification to see only the faults, and it's ungracious. Technically, Coleman's recordings were crap by today's standards, but you judge them by their merits in historical context. Editorially, Krassen's pedagogical license suited the times in a way, and Rabbi Krassen might be the first to say he'd have done it differently now.

No, it wouldn't be my first choice today. But honestly, the written-out ornament was very helpful to me and others first coming to grips with Irish style. Today, any experienced player is going to look past written ornamentation suggestions anyway. And if you can't intuit the underlying melody from Krassen's written-out rolls, yer doing it wrong. It's just as likely that O'Neill's original informants sometimes played rolls where he chose to transcribe them melodically. So which mistake do you prefer?

Finally, when it comes to reading 100+ year old photo reprints vs. Krassen's typography, my aging eyes might thank me for choosing the latter for a quick check of a tune. Image
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

The Krassen was the first book I was able to get my hands on, too -- at a festival somewheres, I think.

I've always found it useful and have been very grateful for it and Krassen's efforts over the years. But then again, I never rely on one setting if I can help it. You just never know what people are going to play, and I figure it helps me better understand the tune if I look at it from some different angles anyway. It's the same as listening to different recordings, isn't it?
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

I don't think it's "ungracious" to point out the serious flaws in the Krassens book. And I'm no youngster. I bought that book soon after it first came out. I thought at first that it was interesting that he had tried to transcribe the ornaments. I tried for ages to decipher what he had written and make sense of it in terms of the actual ornaments that players of Irish trad play, but it's a hopeless task. They're just not right.

The other thing - the main thing, really - that I don't like about it is the pretense that it's an "updated" version of O'Neill's. It isn't. In effect, it's a new collection of tunes written out in a way that even the people whose playing he transcribed didn't play. He makes that quite clear in the introduction. It's also fairly obvious if you try to play many of the tunes. Well, how you can get the tune that his musicians did play from that is beyond me.

I know I didn't do the work that Krassens did, and that's where, I guess, the charge of being "ungracious" comes from. But my point is that the work is misguided in its concept, and the results show that.