How to be heard in a stage/large sound setup?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
bramble
antispam: No

Re: How to be heard in a stage/large sound setup?

Post by bramble »

aye, I have a small mixing desk, 4 channels with headphone out, then goes to the FOH mix, so I can turn myself up in my headphones without affecting the out mix.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

One (literally) cheap trick I've used in very loud situations is earplugs. Not in-ear monitors; I mean regular noise reduction earplugs. If the ambient volume is that loud anyway, you can still hear the overall mix. But the direct sound of your own instrument becomes relatively louder. Combined with an appropriate monitor mix, this may do the trick.

In any case, focusing on the microphone or the whistle as the issue is the wrong approach, I think.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Dain

Post by Dain »

Yeah, i guess there is a lot of truth to that.
I'm playing auxiliary whistle in my predominately rock band (two electric guitars, one bass and a jackhammer-noise-level drummer) and the only way i could even estimate what notes i'm playing is the vibration of the very whistle. I'll try and plug my ears next time, maybe it'll help.

Plugs are kinda of low-freq stoppers, aren't they?
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

A sonic filter type earplug is designed to have a flat response and reduce the incoming sound level a certain number of DB. You only know you have them in is when you talk.

I never have used them on stage, just to listen to my son's band when he was a diehard rock and roller.

He has discovered other music styles and has done some excellent recording/producing of several musical styles.
Wolf24

Post by Wolf24 »

Thanks to everyone for their helpful replies! (I apologize for my lateness in re-addressing this thread.)

I have since acquired the use of a (borrowed) Burke Session D ... and while we hadn't changed any of the mic'ing setup, the crispiness of the tone helped to cut through the electric instruments a great deal. I think I might just pick up my own Burke -- I've heard the Aluminum Alloy version is slightly louder.

As well, I have ordered a microphone designed specifically for whistles -- MicroVox Mini Goose .... this will allow full range of movement without any change in distance from the whistle airway. That should be fun! :)

I must say, both of the ideas of using earplugs as well as a personal mixer are ideas I had not even thought of. I think I will try the earplugs next show (tonight) and see how that works... barring that, the small personal mixer with a headphone out is right alongside the idea I originally had in mind.

Great ideas and helpful responses! Thanks again everyone.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Wolf24 wrote:As well, I have ordered a microphone designed specifically for whistles -- MicroVox Mini Goose
I had to do some googling to find that.
Because it's actually the "mini-swan":
http://www.microvox.demon.co.uk/flutepage.htm

Interesting. Though, I tend to play with
the distance from the mic quite a lot.
The tough part will be keeping the cord
away from your fingers, I'll bet. Maybe
some alligator clips for your cloths to
keep it in check?
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Wolf24 wrote:I think I might just pick up my own Burke -- I've heard the Aluminum Alloy version is slightly louder.
I own and play Burke Session bore high D's in all three materials. They are all nice. I honestly do not think the aluminum is louder than the brass. There is a slight timbre difference that you can hear between the two as the player. They both sound quite the same to the microphone. But that's just my personal experience.

The MicroVox is probably a good idea. I sometimes use a small Audio-Technica lavalier mic held in place by a velcro strap and a bit of foam. Let us know how you get on with it.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Denny

Post by Denny »

he's just tryin' ta get more honk outta the thing without the work...
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

fearfaoin wrote:The tough part will be keeping the cord away from your fingers, I'll bet.
Yeah, that's an issue! That's where the mini gooseneck comes in. You can mount the cabling to one side away from the fingers and still position the mic near to the window. Admittedly there isn't a lot of room on a high D whistle. Works for the larger whistles though.
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

I'll be curious, too. I also have the MicroVox mini swan, but the velcro version, not the strap (I got it for other instruments). I've played with attaching it to a D whistle, and found the cord placement tricky, and the sense of being tethered restrictive. But I didn't try very hard. :-) Like fearfaoin, I prefer playing the mike distance anyway. Look forward to your report.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.