WTB: Regulators

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Kinry
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

WTB: Regulators

Post by Kinry »

I do a lot of busking when times are slack, hitch hiking around the cities of Britain and Europe with a half set with pakistani drones. I'm going on the road again soon and would like to add tenor and baritone regulators to the set. I don't want to subject expensive pipes to the manifold risks facing the travelling musician, so I am wondering if anyone has any pakistani regulators going spare that they'd like to sell me, or otherwise some rough/damaged/unwanted regs for sale. I have contacted the infamous Mr Geoffrey, but apparently he doesn't sell regulators seperately.

Will consider anything!
BigDavy

Re: WTB: Regulators

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Kinry

You can get Pakistani regs on ebay US, but they are extortionately priced. ($970 ish).

If it is P regs you are looking for then for 488.8 euro (at the time of posting) you can get a full set in rosewood, including the regs.
Pakistani full set

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Mike Hulme
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mike Hulme »

Hi Kinry,

There was a full set of Pakistani pipes on Ebay UK a couple of weeks ago. Starting bid £200 with no takers. It might be worth your while doing an advanced search on ended items to find the guy and make him an offer. Just a thought.

I got a set of these horrors some years ago to play around with. I managed to get the tenor and baritone regs to work with Chris Bayley's plastic reeds. They sounded OK. The bass regulator is a dead loss; the tone holes are in the wrong place. The keys worked quite well, but are a nasty shape. I ground them to a more normal outline and buffed them up. The brass they use is actually very good quality and takes a good polish.

Hope this helps.
Mike

“Si fractum non sit, noli id refere”

http://www.uilleannpipesuk.org
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Mike

This one?
unsold Pakistani full set

David
morning wood

Post by morning wood »

BigDavy wrote:Hi Mike

This one?
unsold Pakistani full set

David
You gotta love the Q&A bit, particularly as the pic isn't even the pipes he was selling, he just borrowed it from another listing :) Is "got 'em from a shop in London" the new "got 'em of a bloke down the boozer"? :D
Kinry

Post by Kinry »

Apparently he has sold them. I'll keep my eyes open on ebay. Might even try and make some regs. How hard can it be!?
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I can't help thinking that you're throwing money away.

For the money you'll pay for Pakistani-made pipes, you'll get a baritone regulator made by a reputable maker. Many pipers begin learning the regulators on just the baritone reg. You can take your time and order a tenor reg later.
PJ
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

PJ wrote:I can't help thinking that you're throwing money away.
Maybe he is, and maybe he isn't.
For the money you'll pay for Pakistani-made pipes, you'll get a baritone regulator made by a reputable maker. Many pipers begin learning the regulators on just the baritone reg. You can take your time and order a tenor reg later.
While this is indeed good advice, if you look at his original post, he seens to be looking for what basically qualifies as "junker" regulators. He's moving around, busking, and wants something that will play, but not something that will break his heart (or more importantly, his pocket book) if it gets busted up or stolen.

Finally, a viable market for Pakistani pipes. :D
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

dow wrote:... wants something that will play...
This is where the Pakistani-made option falls down.

The expression "Flogging a dead horse" comes to mind when I try to think of someone trying to play a set of Pakistani-made regulators ...
PJ
Kinry

Post by Kinry »

dow wrote: While this is indeed good advice, if you look at his original post, he seens to be looking for what basically qualifies as "junker" regulators. He's moving around, busking, and wants something that will play, but not something that will break his heart (or more importantly, his pocket book) if it gets busted up or stolen.
That's it. I have a rather nice full set of pipes but wouldn't take them busking around.

To be honest, as long as they go "honk" when you press the key down, that will do for busking. That seemed to be pretty much the ethos of the great travelling pipers. hehe.
Jarlath.I
Tell us something.: I'm an uilleann piper currently living in Sitka AK. I am looking for information on piping and am looking forward to meet other pipers.

Post by Jarlath.I »

[quote="Kinry"]That seemed to be pretty much the ethos of the great travelling pipers. hehe.
[quote="dow"]
I recently had the opportunity to do some busking with a friend who has a half set (but the drones were never turned on), and I was using a practice set. We were told that his set looked much more "complicated." The lesson I learned was that appearance is important... 8)
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

PJ wrote:
dow wrote:... wants something that will play...
This is where the Pakistani-made option falls down.

The expression "Flogging a dead horse" comes to mind when I try to think of someone trying to play a set of Pakistani-made regulators ...
I have seen them made to play in C# quite nicely PJ (at least the bass and baritone regs can). In the opinion of the pipemaker, that has my left handed Pakistani set in his workshop as a plaything to see what can be done with them, they are actually a C# set not D.

David