Help dating this penny whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
smarkerbarker
antispam: No

Re: Help dating this penny whistle

Post by smarkerbarker »

Thanks to everyone who has posted. I don't play the tin whistle and never even heard of them until a couple of days ago. I purchased this whistle at an estate auction and they were selling it as a piccolo. I'm going to list the whistle on ebay so I was trying to get as much information on it before doing so. If anyone knows what the value of this whistle or what a decent price to list it at I would appreciate it. I hope this is not out of line for this forum and if so I apologize.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

Just so we could all (scream, say awwwww, be envious, or maybe even smirk), could you please tell us what you paid for this whistle at the estate sale?

(I have no idea what this whistle is worth but someone will. Every so often someone finds something great at a yard sale, second hand store, or in the garbage. We're nosey.)
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
WJC
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by WJC »

A G. Clark's whistle almost identical to yours in question (G. Clark, labeled tone holes etc.) was sold recently on Ebay. The only other one I've ever seen before is one that sold on eBay about 3 years ago. I tried to find the listings but can't seem to track them down right now. I think the most recent G. Clark was incorrectly listed as an antique Robert Clarke whistle. Maybe someone on this forum purchased it? I thought the labeled tone hole feature was interesting, it made me think it was to be used as a "training" whistle.

Yours seems to be in much better condition than the one I saw sell on eBay recently, which sold for around $20.00 USD. This may be due to the fact that it wasn't properly listed (bad exposure to potential buyers) and one may have required a tetanus shot to play the eBay whistle (It appeared to be very rusty)

This has nothing to do with your whistle, or the value but I just purchased an old whistle by JH London (in C) on ebay for around $40. I just thought it was kind of interesting to have in the whistle drawer.

When you do decide to list it on eBay, it wouldn't hurt to put an ad up on the marketplace here to let collectors know.
smarkerbarker

Post by smarkerbarker »

mutepointe wrote:Just so we could all (scream, say awwwww, be envious, or maybe even smirk), could you please tell us what you paid for this whistle at the estate sale?

(I have no idea what this whistle is worth but someone will. Every so often someone finds something great at a yard sale, second hand store, or in the garbage. We're nosey.)
I don't mind... They put the whistle up and tried to get an opening bid but nobody was biting which is typical as everyone tries to get the lowest opening bid as possible. Well they got down to $5 and still no bids, I was waiting for the $2 minimum bid to start bidding but before I could they decided to throw in some old magazines that I wanted as well so the bidding started and I ended up winning the 2 magazines that I wanted and the whistle for $7 plus a 10% buyers premium and then sales tax on top of that, so a total of around $8 for the whistle and two magazines. Like I said I never heard of a tin whistle before and they were selling it as a piccolo. I knew it wasn't a piccolo but I thought maybe it was an old toy recorder and it was marked so I thought it was worth something. I was just happy to get the two magazines I wanted for the $7.
smarkerbarker

Post by smarkerbarker »

WJC wrote:A G. Clark's whistle almost identical to yours in question (G. Clark, labeled tone holes etc.) was sold recently on Ebay. The only other one I've ever seen before is one that sold on eBay about 3 years ago. I tried to find the listings but can't seem to track them down right now. I think the most recent G. Clark was incorrectly listed as an antique Robert Clarke whistle. Maybe someone on this forum purchased it? I thought the labeled tone hole feature was interesting, it made me think it was to be used as a "training" whistle.

Yours seems to be in much better condition than the one I saw sell on eBay recently, which sold for around $20.00 USD. This may be due to the fact that it wasn't properly listed (bad exposure to potential buyers) and one may have required a tetanus shot to play the eBay whistle (It appeared to be very rusty)

This has nothing to do with your whistle, or the value but I just purchased an old whistle by JH London (in C) on ebay for around $40. I just thought it was kind of interesting to have in the whistle drawer.

When you do decide to list it on eBay, it wouldn't hurt to put an ad up on the marketplace here to let collectors know.
Condition wise there is no rust at all on the whistle. Looks like someone bought it and just put it in a drawer or something. I'd like to price it where I could get the most value for it but I don't want to price it too high and never sell it. I'll definitely post the listing in the marketplace when I decide on a price to list it at.
Latticino
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Latticino »

[quote="Mr.Gumby"]

quote]

Not meaning to hijack this thread or anything, but I have a vintage conical (Eb?) whistle that could be the double of the second one from the bottom in your picture. Never seen another like it before and don't know a lot about it, other than it plays pretty well for what it is. Wondering if you had any additional info on yours (manufacturer, age, value...)

Thanks
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Steven Wright

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
Baron Munchausen
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Typical late 19th century French. Mine's a D (Re).
My brain hurts

mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

smarkerbarker wrote:
mutepointe wrote:Just so we could all (scream, say awwwww, be envious, or maybe even smirk), could you please tell us what you paid for this whistle at the estate sale?

I don't mind... They put the whistle up and tried to get an opening bid but nobody was biting which is typical as everyone tries to get the lowest opening bid as possible. Well they got down to $5 and still no bids, I was waiting for the $2 minimum bid to start bidding but before I could they decided to throw in some old magazines that I wanted as well so the bidding started and I ended up winning the 2 magazines that I wanted and the whistle for $7 plus a 10% buyers premium and then sales tax on top of that, so a total of around $8 for the whistle and two magazines. Like I said I never heard of a tin whistle before and they were selling it as a piccolo. I knew it wasn't a piccolo but I thought maybe it was an old toy recorder and it was marked so I thought it was worth something. I was just happy to get the two magazines I wanted for the $7.
If any of us were in your shoes, I think our heads would have exploded that day. And then we would have posted here how our heads exploded but how we still managed to get that whistle.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

If any of us were in your shoes, I think our heads would have exploded that day

Come on now, you really should get out more often.
My brain hurts

smarkerbarker

Post by smarkerbarker »

Listed on ebay for best offer if anyone is interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0482484968
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

That would seem extremely optimistic. Good luck.

My brain hurts

Denny

Post by Denny »

optimistic, see ya can be polite :D
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

Did the OP just offer to sell to one of us for $100 the whistle he got along with 2 magazines subscriptions for $7?
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

In fairness, the price is "Buy now at $100" or best offer.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Yes Steve, but while you may get people to bid it up to say, $40, if you're lucky, from a low starting bid. You will not find them likely to bid a price down from 100 to something realistic .
My brain hurts