Soggy bottom?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Soggy bottom?

Post by Mr.Gumby »

It doesn't look like keithsandra is going to apologise for the way he addressed me above. Retraction of the whole fiasco doesn't seem on the cards either. Threatening with lawyers while pulling exactly the cock up he erroneously tried to accuse me of. There's great irony in that, isn't there?

Let's leave it at that, shall we?
My brain hurts

Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

Here's the thing: if the hard low D is there some time, even if only one time, then you know that there is nothing wrong with the flute. You also know that there is something wrong with yourself. I think Jim came at this in good faith. He does not hand out advice as often as he used to, which is a good thing. He still has some things to figure out on the flute, much like the rest of us. In fact, like all of us.
My own approach to embouchure development is to blow as softly as I can high in the second octave and into the third octave. I try to get just a whisper of a sound and still have the note be clear. Then I know that my embouchure is focused and that my low D will be solid. People often blow too hard in an attempt to compensate for an undeveloped embouchure. Try playing as softly as you can, still producing a clear tone, in the upper octave. It will do wonders for your playing in the low octave.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
flutefry
Tell us something.: Pipes have become my main instrument, but I still play the flute. I have emerged from the "instrument acquisition" phase, and am now down to one full set of pipes (Gordon Galloway), and one flute (Hudson Siccama).

Post by flutefry »

I appreciated the helpful, specific, and constructive posts from Cathy Wilde and Julia Delaney. Can't say I have the same appreciation for all the posts to this thread.

FWIW, I admire Jim for his honesty, willingness to ask questions, and willingness to learn in public. This takes a lot more courage than hiding behind an avatar.

Hugh Brock
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Me too. Thanks for the kind words, Hugh. I think all of us agree that the problem is not the flute.
Will take these helpful suggestions to heart.
To Mr. G, I must say that I admire your writing, which manifests considerable command and intelligence, IMO.
I am much affected and impressed by this sort of thing, and by the intellect that generally underlies
it. I have the feeling we would like each other in person.

Thanks to all, Jim
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Cathy Wilde wrote:IMO, bottom D comes and goes from time to time; that's just life. Forcing it isn't going to make it happen. Also IMO, if you try to push Bryan's flutes too hard you are guaranteed go out of tune. Try going all floppy with it -- open your embouchure slightly (make more of a soft pouty "o" with the sides of your mouth closed) and make sure you're not clutching the flute, pressing it into your face, or otherwise deadening it through pressure -- and see what happens. Roll it in, roll it out, and experiment with where your mouth has to be to *easily* achieve a nice round bottom D (no edge); then overblow to middle D without raising your L1 finger; then let your jaw drop slightly so the note can fall back down to bottom D. Lather, rinse, repeat about a hundred million times before you even consider trying to put more of an edge on the bottom D's tone. Then only do it by degrees -- see how little you can get away with to achieve a change.

You might just be getting in the flute's way; this happens to a lot of people. And it is possible to have too tight an embouchure. Having an old-school embouchure myself I struggle with it all the time, and I remember I had to be very conscious of it when Bryan and I swapped flutes for an evening b/c his flute was more sensitive to such things than my Murray. Super-nice flute, though and totally of the "less is more" school. Being as Bryan is a lovely relaxed player, I'd take a cue from his playing as to how his flutes go best. So why not try the floppy thing for a bit and see where it takes you?
megathanks
Cubitt
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cubitt »

Jim, I have experience with this. You may have a crack inside the flute bore that cannot be seen. I had this and it became a reservoir for moisture. The flute would get increasingly gurgly as I played. I finally had it looked at and repaired. Never a problem since.
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

I always liked the name "The Soggy Bottom Boys" for a group.

I guess some of you guys doing all the posting should be in it :D

Boyd

ps// just be glad you all have any sort of a bottom.
I know a man 10 miles from here that has a Pakistani Special that is both topless AND bottom-less :sniffle:

....nobody said this would be easy......

jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

boyd wrote:I always liked the name "The Soggy Bottom Boys" for a group.

I guess some of you guys doing all the posting should be in it :D
Nah, we're The A**e-Wipes. :devil: And we're (of course!) hard (Izal only, no extra soft stuff here). ;-D
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Cubitt wrote:Jim, I have experience with this. You may have a crack inside the flute bore that cannot be seen. I had this and it became a reservoir for moisture. The flute would get increasingly gurgly as I played. I finally had it looked at and repaired. Never a problem since.
Good point, I would check the sockets, as cracks can open up after they get soggy. I think I offered to look at the flute a Couple of years ago, maybe it is time "to sharpen the saw"' Jim... :really:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

First I must follow Cat's instructions fifty million more times.
In truth the flute plays the way it did the day I got it.
Thank you for the offer.
dlambert
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by dlambert »

flutefry: Remember only Hugh can prevent florist friars.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I'm afraid that name's already taken. Their big hit's kind of apropos for a "flutes and bottom D" discussion, though :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/v/TzK0739QQqQ?fs
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
flutefry
Tell us something.: Pipes have become my main instrument, but I still play the flute. I have emerged from the "instrument acquisition" phase, and am now down to one full set of pipes (Gordon Galloway), and one flute (Hudson Siccama).

Post by flutefry »

dlambert-thanks for starting my morning with a smile. Your quip reminds me of a joke learned in grade school: Who in a religious institution could open a fast food joint?-the chip monk and the fish friar. They might make a lot more money than a flute fryer-Jim says he isn't ready to take advantage of my services yet.

Hugh
I thought I had no talent, but my talent is to persist anyway.
Kirk B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kirk B »

Cathy Wilde wrote:
I'm afraid that name's already taken. Their big hit's kind of apropos for a "flutes and bottom D" discussion, though :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/v/TzK0739QQqQ?fs

"Is you is or is you ain't my constitiency!?"

Cheers,

Kirk