Use of Eb key

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Steve Bliven
antispam: No

Use of Eb key

Post by Steve Bliven »

I have a one-key Sweetheart flute. (Lovely sound by the way.) I'm trying to sort out when to use the key — other than the obvious use to play Eb. Some folks say just turn the key out of the way and don't bother with it. Others say use it as a vent to make the other notes of the scale have a better tone and tuning. A sub-set of those suggest using it only on E, F and G.

So what do those of you with keyed flutes do with the Eb key?

Thanks and best wishes.

Steve

By the way, I tried to search on this topic using "Eb key". The search ignored the Eb and brought up every reference to "key" ever used on the forum. How should I have phrased that to do a more refined search.
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Denny

Re: Use of Eb key

Post by Denny »

sometimes the best you can do is use Google....

enter "eb key" f=2 site:forums.chiffandfipple.com in Google

the site:forums.chiffandfipple.com limits the search to this board
the f=2 limits it to the flute forum

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22eb+ke ... fipple.com
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Sillydill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Sillydill »

Hey Steve,

Simple Rule: If your RH 3 isn't down then the Eb should be open. Only Exception is when you need to play Eb. :party: Of course let your ears be your guide and modify the rule as you see fit.

The great thing about the Eb-key, other than being able to play Eb, is that it dramatically strengthens the E note! It also generally improves the harmonics of other notes, but not always (depends on the flute).

So be a SLOB and keep that pinky down! :lol:
Keep on Tootin!

Jordan
Denny

Post by Denny »

chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

It is very flute dependent. The Sweet has pretty large holes, so it will have less of an effect on the E and F# notes. On many flutes you either need the key open to sound an in-tune E or you CAN'T have it open to sound an in-tune E. On some, as Jordan said, it has more of an effect on the strength of the E note than on the pitch. On most it will help the F#. Above that it generally doesn't make a difference, except that the cross-fingered notes. The second-octave Bflat (XXO XXXk) and C (OXO XXXk) are usually much more in-tune with the key open. My experience with the Sweet is that the key doesn't have much of an effect on the E and F# and its use is entirely optional. Which means that I generally have it depressed.

Of course, it's a huge help in the third octave, but we generally don't go there on this board. ;)
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Julia Delaney
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

I use the Eb key all the time, but only when I want to hit the Eb note. It's fun. Adds a little twist to some tunes. You can of course play good music without using any key on the keyed flute. But if you have keys you can fool around with them and hear the music in different ways.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
utsilasi

Post by utsilasi »

it depends on the flute, but in the third octave Eb key make possible some notes otherwise unplayable (E above all): there is always a tone or harmonic a seventh hole can adjust
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

In my exploration of the traverso my main guide has been Janice Dockendorf Boland's "Method for the One-Keyed Flute."

http://www.amazon.com/Method-One-Keyed- ... 704&sr=8-7

I highly recommend getting a copy. Among other good things it contains as thorough a fingering chart as you are ever likely to find.

She suggests following Quantz' recommendation and avoiding overuse of the key. In particular Quantz was concerned about the Eb key raising the pitch of e', e'', f' and f'' to unacceptable levels. Boland recommends using the key, outside of the fingerings shown on her chart, on two occasions. One is for fast passages through notes where the key does not affect intonation, such as f#''-g''-a''-b'', where the key will be used for one or more of the notes in the series. The second use is on trills like g''-a''-g''-a'' where holding the key down can increase the stability of the flute in your hands.

As with everything else in music, let your ears be the final arbiter. You will definitely want to experiment with using the key for cross-fingered accidentals. Boland's fingering chart shows, for example, six different possible fingerings for a#'. Some use the key and some don't. I've found Boland's suggestions seem to work for me. I have no doubt that what Jordan suggested works well for him. Take some time, listen, and figure out what works for you and your flute.

Since someone might ask, the a#' fingerings are:
x-o-x x-x-o
x-o-x x-x-x K
x-o-x x-x-x
x-o-x x-o-x
x-o-x x-x-o K
I'm asking you because you're an educated sort of swine. John LeCarre
Denny

Post by Denny »

But the Eb was the first key
it should be used more than the others!
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Denny wrote:But the Eb was the first key
it should be used more than the others!
Yeah, and guess what the second key was? (According to some, at any rate.) The D# key!

I'm still puzzling that one ...
Denny

Post by Denny »

just ain't equal now, is it
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

I just ain't got the temperament for it I guess
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Oh well, I blame it all on that German feller who sounds like a pole for punting barges in the Fens. (Very quaint!)
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Er yes ... I get the German fella you're on about ... but now I can't find the word for that pole. I thought it was just "pole" :-?
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Ah, mis-spent youth: obviously didn't read your Ransome.
Think of a Mary - one of cosmetic renown.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads