That new Burger King Commercial

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.

What all bothers you about the new Burger King Commerical?

The guy isn't actually playing the flute.
25%
They've dubbed in a fife, not a flute.
29%
Family members have been waiting for you to fuss about this commercial.
4%
People are being deceived.
9%
It's a guy, not a woman, pretending to play the silver flute.
7%
I don't like flutes to be associated with fast food.
12%
I'm OK with the commerical, at least a flute is in the commercial.
4%
Other.
10%

Total votes: 69

mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: That new Burger King Commercial

Post by mutepointe »

I just saw the 2nd BK Flute commercial...with the "epic flute solo". You folks need to rethink your criticism. He's going to do more for the flute than Ian.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Sigurthr
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Sigurthr »

Doug_Tipple wrote:
Thomaston wrote:I've seen that one a few times, and always wonder if that one guy really jumps from the 2nd story or if it's special effects.
He does jump from the second story, but you don't see what he lands on, obviously something to cushion the impact.
I'm not sure, this one shows him landing on what looks like plain pavement, could have been digitally added though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqdxbfzaSZg#t=0m46s
My Flutes:
James Galway JG3 Spirit Flute
Gemeinhardt 2sp Student Flute w/ Custom Series S Headjoint
19c Antique German Orchestral Flute - Huller/Lyon-Healy/Meyer 13 key - "Frankenflute"
Aulos A440 Grenser Traverso

Baroque, Classical, Trad - I play it all.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

All I can say, David, is "WOW" .
if we don't insist on it....who will?

commercials like this....and Hollywood's representation of flute/fife/piccolo music.....serve to direct and mold the public perception of what we, apparently, care so much about.
And if we aren't about it being portrayed accurately......then we deserve every idiot who says, "wow, i thought it was a clarinet!"
hans
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

They do sing: "Hey, where did you get that flute?!"
Surely it will help boost flute sales, as well as change perceptions that flutes are only for girls, no?

The tune is abysmal, so watch the following to get it out of your head space. I bet the guy who came up with the idea of the BK commercial watched this (and stole a fair amount of ideas from it):
The Offspring - Why Don't You Get A Job? (youtube video)
Denny

Post by Denny »

not available in the US, Sony, content
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Denny wrote:not available in the US, Sony, content
This one?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNx_Ja2rQfg
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

I.D.10-t wrote:
Denny wrote:not available in the US, Sony, content
This one?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNx_Ja2rQfg
no, that's totally different!

The one I linked to starts with a sprinkler on a suburbian lawn, then the singer lands on the street coming down in a paraglider. He starts walking down the street, more and more musicians and people join him, all walking together. A biker flies out of a house through a window and crashes. A male young waiter in a burger gets a creamy drink poured over his head by a girl, etc etc lots of little stories of disgruntled people changing their situation. It ends with a bomb blast in the street.
Kirk B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kirk B »

Sigurthr wrote:
Doug_Tipple wrote:
Thomaston wrote:I've seen that one a few times, and always wonder if that one guy really jumps from the 2nd story or if it's special effects.
He does jump from the second story, but you don't see what he lands on, obviously something to cushion the impact.
I'm not sure, this one shows him landing on what looks like plain pavement, could have been digitally added though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqdxbfzaSZg#t=0m46s
My educated guess is that he was shot with green screen and jumped a shorter distance. Then in post they made him fall further than he actually did. That would be my strategy.

Cheers,

Kirk
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

David Migoya wrote:if we don't insist on it....who will?
Yeah, well ... Visual depictions of instruments by non-musicians have been misrepresenting flutes and everything else for, oh, a few millennia now. So good luck with that. :wink:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I'll just add some salt to the wounds and say soon no one will play anything on film and it will all be computer generated.

Back to youtube to listen to a real person playing the clavichord. If I played a keyed instrument that would be second after the flute.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

Yeah, well ... Visual depictions of instruments by non-musicians have been misrepresenting flutes and everything else for, oh, a few millennia now. So good luck with that.
ah yes. the ole "toss-up-the-hands" route.

nothing like compromising ones ideals simply because the wall you're trying to climb is too high. :cry:
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

David Migoya wrote:nothing like compromising ones ideals simply because the wall you're trying to climb is too high.
And there's nothing like promoting your ideals by browbeating people who may or may not disagree with you. Good luck with that, too. :wink:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

David Migoya wrote:
Yeah, well ... Visual depictions of instruments by non-musicians have been misrepresenting flutes and everything else for, oh, a few millennia now. So good luck with that.
ah yes. the ole "toss-up-the-hands" route.

nothing like compromising ones ideals simply because the wall you're trying to climb is too high. :cry:
Uh, again, "Whoa", dude. Do you really expect mainstream, or more precise, Madison Avenue America to uphold some sort of high-brow depiction of proper fluting in all media, and in particular, in a Burger King commercial? Is it just me, or does that seem ludicrous to anyone else? What "ideal" are you referring to exactly? Comedy pokes fun at all people in all walks of life, flute players included. Truth is, most people don't care; they'd rather laugh than be educated on proper flute playing, and I don't blame them one iota, particularly in this context.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

It's not just you.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

For many bird watchers it grates on their nerves when they hear a falcon cry paired with an eagle. Consistent ignorance can be frustrating.