New Abell Whistle... It's a work of art.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
tyiam
antispam: No

New Abell Whistle... It's a work of art.

Post by tyiam »

Just received the Abell Whistle - African Blackwood with sterling silver Standard (Key of D) today. It is truly an outstanding whistle... The very best out there in whistle land. A new standard for excellence. Something to work towards in my flute making venture. Excellent craftsmanship and sweet sound... Thanks, Chris.

http://www.abellflute.com/whistle.html
Last edited by tyiam on Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: New Able Whistle... It's a work of art.

Post by Doug_Tipple »

tyiam wrote:Just received the Able Whistle - African Blackwood with sterling silver Standard (Key of D) today. It is truly an outstanding whistle... The very best out there in whistle land.
No doubt, the Able low D whistle is a fine whistle. That it is the very best that you can buy anywhere seems to me to be a matter of personal opinion.
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

Sp?????

How bizarre, to start a thread singing the praises of a new acquisition and to mis-spell it (despite posting a link with it spelled correctly)!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

jemtheflute wrote:Sp?????How bizarre, to start a thread singing the praises of a new acquisition and to mis-spell it (despite posting a link with it spelled correctly)!
Right! Could that be why there is "A bell" engraved on the instrument as the makers mark?
Doug_Tipple wrote:No doubt, the Able low D whistle is a fine whistle.
I think you might have meant high D, Doug.
Doug_Tipple wrote:That it is the very best that you can buy anywhere seems to me to be a matter of personal opinion.
I would agree with that statement whole heartedly. The Abell is certainly a good whistle and well made. It's not among my favorites though. If we didn't have different tastes and preferences there wouldn't be as many whistle makers in business I fear.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

It is the best whistle out there.
It IS!
It IS!
jemtheflute

Re: New Abell Whistle... It's a work of art.

Post by jemtheflute »

Sp correction noted :thumbsup: :wink:

Abells are fantastic, but I agree that it is subjective opinion whether they are "THE best" - I'd at least rate Rose, Swayne and Simmons (never met a Schultz) as equally good and the differences between them would make for personal preferences.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
tyiam

Post by tyiam »

I hope that saying Abell Whistles are “The very best out there in whistle land.” did not offend any flute makers out there.

Some flute makers may look at the word “Best” as... why should I even try because the best is already been done.

Best is always debatable and is always changing from our different perspectives. I only use best as seeing how it could improve on what I am doing... as an aid to growth. Striving for the “Best” is a motivational factor to growing and improving . Always willing to learn and improve.

I just felt that craftsmanship and the quality of an Abell Whistle should be recognized and as a flute maker we should all be exploring ways to improve what we are making... but staying true to our creation.

There are many great whistles in whistle land. I am particularly drawn to the outstanding whistle that were made by Glen Schultz, Sr., Pall Busman, Terry McGee, Oz, etc... and I am sure you could name many other grate whistle makers.

I would love to be second best... in the the quality of an Abell Whistle... and I can imagine that Chris Abell is always looking for the best in whistle making.

-Ty
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

I agree! I got my Abell almost the same time as you. Mine is #1679. I sent him a nice piece of cocuswood, and he made a beautiful D whistle for me, it is the best! :party:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

I like my Reyburn better, and a friend does too :twisted:
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

That's really gorgeous, Jon - any chance of hearing it? :wink: :thumbsup:

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
tyiam

Post by tyiam »

Hi Jon,
As I said... A work or art... what a beautiful whistle... Cocuswood was a nice choice of wood... it’s warm and really come to life with the silver... I can feel your excitement.

The craftsmanship is superb and the attention to detail is excellent. I noticed that the “Ramp, Blade or Labium lip” is cut exactly like my cocobolo wood whistle made by the late Glen Schultz, Sr. . Do you think that it was cut with a CNC machine?

-Ty
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

tyiam wrote:Hi Jon,
As I said... A work or art... what a beautiful whistle... Cocuswood was a nice choice of wood... it’s warm and really come to life with the silver... I can feel your excitement.

The craftsmanship is superb and the attention to detail is excellent. I noticed that the “Ramp, Blade or Labium lip” is cut exactly like my cocobolo wood whistle made by the late Glen Schultz, Sr. . Do you think that it was cut with a CNC machine?

-Ty
Yes, I think cocuswood is the best tone wood, too bad it was farmed out in the 19th century.
That's how I would do it, once you have the design then you can replicate it for ever more... The blade face is curved so it would have to be cut on a rotary table set at 90 deg. It could also be hand milled with a rotary table, but if you are making a bunch of them, CNC is the way to go. :party:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
tyiam

Post by tyiam »

Hi jon,
Love your new Abell Whistle...

I am always looking for a better way of doing thing. Yes... the “blade face” is curved... Not sure how the rotary table works. I will have to look into the rotary table and see it it will work with my milling machine.

At this time I cut the blade face by hand and it is curved.... It appears that Paul Busman cuts the blade by hand and does and excellent job. I make allot of whistles and would like to minimize the hand work. Thanks for you help.

-Ty
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Jon C. wrote:That's how I would do it, once you have the design then you can replicate it for ever more... The blade face is curved so it would have to be cut on a rotary table set at 90 deg. It could also be hand milled with a rotary table, but if you are making a bunch of them, CNC is the way to go. :party:
Very nice looking whistle, Jon. Yes the blade can be cut as you described on a milling machine either by hand control or CNC. It's a good way to get a consistent radius on the upper side of a curved blade. I suspect Chris Abell is doing things by hand although I do not know for sure. If you look closely at the blade of one of John Sindt's whistles you get an idea of how he must be doing things. There are usually telltale lines left by each pass of the cutter on the top surface of the ramp. Those could easily be smoothed out after the milling operation. There are many ways to skin the proverbial cat!

Jon, would you thinking about making a few whistles?

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

Feadoggie wrote:
Jon C. wrote:That's how I would do it, once you have the design then you can replicate it for ever more... The blade face is curved so it would have to be cut on a rotary table set at 90 deg. It could also be hand milled with a rotary table, but if you are making a bunch of them, CNC is the way to go. :party:
Very nice looking whistle, Jon. Yes the blade can be cut as you described on a milling machine either by hand control or CNC. It's a good way to get a consistent radius on the upper side of a curved blade. I suspect Chris Abell is doing things by hand although I do not know for sure. If you look closely at the blade of one of John Sindt's whistles you get an idea of how he must be doing things. There are usually telltale lines left by each pass of the cutter on the top surface of the ramp. Those could easily be smoothed out after the milling operation. There are many ways to skin the proverbial cat!

Jon, would you thinking about making a few whistles?

Feadoggie
Might be fun, I have a lot of Cocuswood... :party:
Michael Flatley

Jon