Looking to invest in a keyed flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
krabben
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Looking to invest in a keyed flute

Post by krabben »

I started playing simple system flute and all sorts of whistles about 1 and a half year ago. Instantly fell in love with the sound these wonderful instruments produce. However, I like to play alot of types of music in addition to traditional celtic music. Because of that I bought a yamaha boehm flute, since I wanted to be able to play in all sorts of keys. Sadly I didnt like the boehm system much, and also I had problems with getting a solid tone with the rectangular embrochure. Instead I practised and played my tipple flutes in D and F alot, and came to the conclusion that this was the flute type for me!

I am in process of selling my boehm flute now, since I don't play it much anyways. Furthermore I would like to invest in a simple system flute that can play chromatically(5 keys+).

Been looking around at different makers sites. Lots of wonderful flutes out there, but new 6-keyed flutes seem to be quite expensive. I've heard that older keyed flutes often can be bought alot cheaper, but that these have issues and are often damaged etc.

Any ideas, suggestions for makers and so on? Would also very much like to know if there are flutes in this category for sale that you know of:)
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Re: Looking to invest in a keyed flute

Post by Jayhawk »

What kind of budget are you working with? For between $800 to $1,000, the only new options would be an M&E 8 keyed flute (in either polymer, ebonite or blackwood) or a 4 key Sweetheart flute in rosewood. 4 keys will get you fully chromatic, but you lose a few options such as the Cnat key (some will say this is an essential key, others not...I'm of the camp that if it's there, grand, but not necessary) and the long F makes some passages a bit harder.

Slightly above this price range are LeHart flutes.

After that, most makers run $2,000 plus for 6 keyed flutes.

Antique flute quality can vary greatly. However, Jon C. and Jem on this site often have renovated older flutes for sale...that's a safer option.

Eric
Denny

Post by Denny »

good time to be a buyer, innit
what is a bit trickier :D

I'd get on Patrick Olwell's waiting list (you should have plenty of time to figure out what ya want)

Buy something used now. (Eric's Jem/Jon suggestion is excellent)
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Rob Sharer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

Hard to beat a quality antique flute with a modern head. You might just end up with a top-drawer, second-to-none eight keyer for beer money. No joke.

Hear this: there are antique flutes out there with lesser-known maker's stamps that are the equal of some of the vaunted marques we rave about on this board. Some might even have serviceable headjoints, but a modern headjoint with the attendant embouchure cut/chimney height "improvements" (all due respect to those of us who excel at wringing tone out of the original, tiny circles!) can frequently kick things up a notch. Add some minor tuning adjustments, and Bob's yer uncle.

Certain makers/repairmen have older flutes on offer from time to time that have already been fettled; could be an excellent place to start looking. Best of luck,

Rob
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Decent old German keyed flutes can be had in the $300-500 range. I'm playing one that I don't expect to keep long-term, but it's an affordable way to find out how important keys might be to you. Great weight-training, too.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
krabben

Post by krabben »

Thanks for all the advice guys. Ive gotten lots of replys and PMs.

I was recently pointed to M&Es site and saw that they had a sale. What do you guys think of the M&E 8-key? Seems to be a bit more in my price range, and perhaps a good first keyed flute? I'm thinking the blackwood or the polymer one, any opinions on which one to choose? The polymer one might be a bit more sturdy, doesnt crack etc. I do like to bring my flutes with when I travel.
Elvellon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Elvellon »

Many people do not recommend keyed M&E flute.
On a side note, my friend the flutist is selling his German 8-key for ~ $350, he's here in Moscow though.
My real name's Roman
planxtydt

Post by planxtydt »

If you are "looking to invest in a keyed flute" then you will want one that you can easily make your money back on - or possibly even make a few extra bob. If this is the case then be careful what you purchase. I don't think an M&E or an old german is a "good investment".
cathal morley

Post by cathal morley »

Francois Baubet of Co. Clare, Eire could be your man - check him out!

Beautiful work, beautiful prices:)
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Cathal - that's definitely a good price for a 4 keyed flute. It's always good to hear of new makers in a reasonable price range.

Eric
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Thread diversion alert!

Mr. Baubet notes on his web site that he uses brass and stainless steel for his tuning slides. Is there any issue with these dissimilar metals in close contact coupled with moisture? I notice that most makers use silver or nickel silver.

Thanks and best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

Baubet- second that motion. He will take it back if you aren't 100% happy with it.

What do you guys think of the M&E 8-key? I haven't ever liked these flutes though they have their champions. I've never heard one of these played well. If there is a recording of one played well I'd like to hear it.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I recently purchased a Ferris F flute from a seller here on the flute forum. I see that they are also available on ebay or directly from the music company for $192 USD new. The flute comes with a nicely made case with a large zippered utility pocket on the outside. I am amazed at how well this flute plays. The scratched ebonite finish looks a lot like blackwood from a short distance. One good thing for me that I was concerned about is that I can detect no strong chemical smell from the ebonite once I had the flute out of the case for awhile. Rather than having the bore of the flute fashioned on a lathe, as is the common practice for conical-bore flutes, the Ferris flute was made from four molded pieces, thus greatly simplifying the construction process. There are some molding imperfections in the flute bore, and also some drill-throughs from the post-mounted keys, but, when assembled, these imperfections are not visible and don't seem to affect the playability of this flute, which, as I said, is pretty good. The keys (nickel plated brass) all work well, although I did decide to shorten the touch on one key and adjust some of the key springs. If you are looking for a simple-system conical-bore flute with 6 keys for not much money, you might try the Ferris F flute. As has been mentioned on the flute forum many times, F flutes are a lot of fun to play, being a lot more agile than the standard larger low D flute. I forgot to mention that the flute plays A440 Hertz with a 10 mm extension on the tuning slide.
ebay ad
Michel

Post by Michel »

I'd suggest you to get a Lehart 6 key, these are under 1500 euros, short waiting list and most of all are really good, solid flutes.
krabben

Post by krabben »

Gotten tons of different suggestions and opinions, thanks guys! Both Baubet and Lehart look very promising. However I've been given the chance to buy an old 8-key at a very low price. Keys are functional, no cracks and I'm told it produces a decent and clear tone. Owner said it might have some issues with a few falt notes, as alot of old flutes have. Still at this very low price, Im willing to give it a go and see how I like it. Wont set me back far money wise at all, so I'll postpone the decision until I get to try the old 8-key!

Once again thanks for all the help!