If historical events had Facebook statuses

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

If historical events had Facebook statuses

Post by Redwolf »

...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Denny

Re: If historical events had Facebook statuses

Post by Denny »

Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
emmline

Post by emmline »

My favorite: WW2, as played out on Facebook:
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

None of those webspinners seems to have twigged that on FB, the newer posts are at the top of the page.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
emmline

Post by emmline »

Innocent Bystander wrote:None of those webspinners seems to have twigged that on FB, the newer posts are at the top of the page.
Very interesting. I didn't twig it either, until you pointed it out. No astute points for me.
Well, perhaps if you learn history best by means of FB posts, it's best not to confuse matters by making you read it backwards.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

emmline wrote:
Innocent Bystander wrote:None of those webspinners seems to have twigged that on FB, the newer posts are at the top of the page.
Very interesting. I didn't twig it either, until you pointed it out. No astute points for me.
Well, perhaps if you learn history best by means of FB posts, it's best not to confuse matters by making you read it backwards.
I didn't catch it either, but I can count the number of times I've bothered to look at Facebook on the fingers of one hand. Although I have a Facebook account, I never use it...I got sick of getting messages all the time: "so and so poked so and so," "find out how compatible you are with so and so," "so and so wants you to take this quiz," and so on ad nauseum. I never could see the appeal of it.

It does make for a funny way to look at history, though!

Now, here's an aside: I've used the expression all my life, but I've only just thought: Could the origin of the expression "twig" in this sense be the Irish verb "tuig" (understand, deduce, comprehend, realize)...pronounced, roughly, "tig" (but with a slight "w glide" in there)?

Redwolf
Denny

Post by Denny »

Redwolf wrote:I got sick of getting messages all the time: "so and so poked so and so," "find out how compatible you are with so and so," "so and so wants you to take this quiz," and so on ad nauseum.
yes....well....ya could turn 'em off ya know

and disallow everyone from bein' allowed ta poke ya :lol:
you can define everyone you admit to talking to (friends) as to how good a friends they are and how much each group of them is able to annoy ya

IB has been very helpful in my hiding of all of the games there! :thumbsup:
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Denny wrote:
Redwolf wrote:I got sick of getting messages all the time: "so and so poked so and so," "find out how compatible you are with so and so," "so and so wants you to take this quiz," and so on ad nauseum.
yes....well....ya could turn 'em off ya know

and disallow everyone from bein' allowed ta poke ya :lol:
you can define everyone you admit to talking to (friends) as to how good a friends they are and how much each group of them is able to annoy ya

IB has been very helpful in my hiding of all of the games there! :thumbsup:
It just never seemed worth the effort to me. I joined initially because someone had set up an IGTF group there, but I never could see the point...we already socialize plenty on the forum, and occasionally via Skype and such. I found it rather boring, to be honest, and eventually stopped looking in on it, and forgot my log-in info completely.

Just not my thing, I guess.

Redwolf
Denny

Post by Denny »

aw, ya get ta watch the Izzlets fire back!
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Redwolf wrote: Now, here's an aside: I've used the expression all my life, but I've only just thought: Could the origin of the expression "twig" in this sense be the Irish verb "tuig" (understand, deduce, comprehend, realize)...pronounced, roughly, "tig" (but with a slight "w glide" in there)?

Redwolf

Never been in any doubt of it. In Victorian times, "twig" seems to have been "horsey" slang, and the best grooms were Irish. (Based on my reading of R.S.Surtees, and other Victorian writings.)
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Redwolf wrote:Now, here's an aside: I've used the expression all my life, but I've only just thought: Could the origin of the expression "twig" in this sense be the Irish verb "tuig" (understand, deduce, comprehend, realize)...pronounced, roughly, "tig" (but with a slight "w glide" in there)?

Redwolf
It was mentioned as a "likelihood" by one of my Oideas Gael teachers, but without any proof. Also suggested was "an dtuigeann tu?" into "you dig?" but I'm not so sure about that one.
An bhfuil aon dearmad i mo Ghaeilge? Abair mé, le do thoil!
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

emmline wrote:My favorite: WW2, as played out on Facebook:
This is great. I never really understood history timelines etc but I get this. I like that they've made the times into the years that everything happened. I hope they do more of these for students.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

avanutria wrote:
Redwolf wrote:Now, here's an aside: I've used the expression all my life, but I've only just thought: Could the origin of the expression "twig" in this sense be the Irish verb "tuig" (understand, deduce, comprehend, realize)...pronounced, roughly, "tig" (but with a slight "w glide" in there)?

Redwolf
It was mentioned as a "likelihood" by one of my Oideas Gael teachers, but without any proof. Also suggested was "an dtuigeann tu?" into "you dig?" but I'm not so sure about that one.
An dtuigeann tú has been pretty well substantiated, actually.

Redwolf
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

Bhuel, ceart go leor :D