Copeland whistle material

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
JTC111
antispam: No

Copeland whistle material

Post by JTC111 »

I own D and C Copeland whistles. I'm trying to identify the material used to make the D and C whistles. The whistles are a silver color, but from what I've read, he also used nickel to make whistles. Is there some way I can tell if my whistles are nickel or silver?

Thanks for any help.
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Copeland whistle material

Post by MTGuru »

While Michael makes / has made silver whistles*, most of the silver-colored Copelands are nickel (i.e., nickel-silver, which is a misnomer). When polished, there is a difference in luster if you know what to look for. Or you might try the mustard test (at your own risk):

http://quazen.com/shopping/jewelry/how- ... re-silver/

* I remember Michael telling me once that he considered silver quite difficult to work with.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Nickel-silver is also very slightly magnetic. If you have a pretty strong magnet, not one of those sheet things, you can just barely feel a tug toward the nickel. Probably a little less risky than the mustard test.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

chas wrote:Nickel-silver is also very slightly magnetic. If you have a pretty strong magnet, not one of those sheet things, you can just barely feel a tug toward the nickel. Probably a little less risky than the mustard test.
I just tried a strong alnico magnet on my nickel Copeland D, and can't get even the slightest interaction. So maybe whatever alloy Michael uses isn't a good candidate.

rhulsey

Post by rhulsey »

I would be very careful with a potentially destructive test. I've not done a "mustard test" but it doesn't sound good!

I had a nickel silver Copeland c and a sterling silver Copeland d (or maybe it was the other way around?) They looked very different side by side, as sterling is quite white compared to the nickel-silver. You might try comparing your whistle to a piece of sterling, i.e. tea set, etc. or maybe jewelry. Just keep in mind that much SS jewelry is plated with rhodium or the likes and wouldn't be the same color as a piece that tarnishes and needs polishing.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities
can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
henryz

Post by henryz »

Interesting - Nickel silver's composition nominally lies at 60% copper, 20% nickel, 20% zinc, by weight. Think of it as good old low brass (80% copper/20% zinc) with some nickel substituted for copper to increase yield strength strength (dent resistance?). Sterling silver is 92.5% sliver, 7.5% copper (usually) and would likely be much softer than nickel silver. An easy way to tell the difference, would be to put rubber bands around each whistle for a day or two. The small of amount of residual sulfur in the rubber bands will tarnish the sterling silver, but should not mark the nickel silver. It's the same principle as the "mustard test", just in a lower impact form. Any tarnish formed should be removable with a cloth & mild polishing compound.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

FWIW, I just tried both the mustard test and match test on a piece of silver plate ... and no luck. Neither worked, and the residue rubbed right off. But I don't have the right mustard, and can't know the sulfur content of the matchheads. Maybe I'll try again ...

I see there are silver acid-test kits available, but these necessarily involve sampling or damaging the metal.

I like the rubber band trick. Question: Does it have to be natural, vulcanized rubber for this to work?

Maybe the best bet is simply to have an experienced jeweler examine the whistles. An experienced eye should be able to distinguish nickel from Sterling by the luster alone.

As a possibly interesting side-story: My Copeland D first came to me, in fact, as a Sterling silver whistle, after passing through at least 3 previous owners. But I could see right away from the luster that it looked more like nickel than silver (as Reg Hulsey described above). A quick check of the serial number with Michael confirmed the nickel diagnosis. Which then set off a chain of refunds up the line to the source of the error, and a happy ending for all. :-)

JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

Wow... I'm amazed at how much knowledge there is on this board. Thanks to all for the replies.
I'm a bit leery of the mustard test, but I may try that eventually. In the meantime, I sent off an email to Michael Copeland and I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope he's a terrific record keeper and can tell me what these guys are made of ...not that it matters much in the end; these are two great whistles.
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

How about taking it to a jeweler?
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
uillmann

Post by uillmann »

NSC SSD FWIW

ahogrelius
Tell us something.: I'm just trying to update my profile. I need to change my location since I no longer is living in Sweden. I'm still playing the whistle though for the most time I'm just a lurker on the Chiff and Fipple board.

Post by ahogrelius »

MTGuru wrote: I like the rubber band trick. Question: Does it have to be natural, vulcanized rubber for this to work?
Yep. Since the test requires a sulphur source you need vulcanized rubber.

Cheers,
A.
If tin whistles are made of tin, what are foghorns made of?
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

ahogrelius wrote:Yep. Since the test requires a sulphur source you need vulcanized rubber.
Wasn't Mr. Spock a Vulcan?

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Steve Bliven wrote:
ahogrelius wrote:Yep. Since the test requires a sulphur source you need vulcanized rubber.
Wasn't Mr. Spock a Vulcan?

Steve
Yes, but he only needed a rubber every seven years...
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

nickel (i.e., nickel-silver, which is a misnomer)

I would suggest nickel is a misnomer in this case as well. Nickel-Silver is an alloy which for the largest part is copper (60-70% IIRC), nickel (20%) and zinc (the rest).
My brain hurts

an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

I have a relatively early Copeland 'D' purchased from the legendary Shark in the AM. Actually I have two, but at the moment cannot find the other. Both were described as being made of Nickel/Silver with silver plating. The silver plate shows some wear. The "Nickel/Silver" appears to be the same white brass material student flutes are made of. Altogether a delightful whistle.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi