Rowsome Owners

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Tou-Che
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Rowsome Owners

Post by Tou-Che »

Brazenkane
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Rowsome Owners

Post by Brazenkane »

The list is missing the Argentinean bloke who has the W. Rowsome full set.
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Paddy Moloney has at least 2 L Rowsome full sets and possibly 3.
PJ
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

I made that list five years ago from info supplied by pipers so it's an ongoing project as regards updates. :)
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I heard an interview given by Neil Mulligan in which he mentioned that it was highly likely there was a Leo Rowsome full set in the national museum of Estonia - a gift in 1938 from the Irish Republic to the newly declared independent Estonia.
PJ
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Blimey! How much are flights to Estonia these days? Looks like a great place to visit especially during festival season. All I need to remember to bring is my glass cutter, latex gloves, ninja skills and bit of rope and I should be good to go :thumbsup:

Patrick.
Simon Stow

Post by Simon Stow »

Patrick D'Arcy wrote:Blimey! How much are flights to Estonia these days? Looks like a great place to visit especially during festival season. All I need to remember to bring is my glass cutter, latex gloves, ninja skills and bit of rope and I should be good to go :thumbsup:

Patrick.

Don't forget to take THE WRONG TROUSERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Torrin Riáin
Tell us something.: a sentence or 2. Having a field that requires 100 characters get displayed next to each and every post I make sure is annoying.

Post by Torrin Riáin »

Don't forget to take THE WRONG TROUSERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:lol: :thumbsup:

Is this list still being updated? Is there a more recent version?

It would be great to keep this list updated, while maintaining privacy for those that request it.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Just a bit of trivia...

Do any of you old-timers recall a C&F member (years ago) who claimed to have a Rowsome (chanter or set)? I don't think anyone really got to know him, he seemed to enjoy his veiled secrecy. I don't see his name on the list. I just looked up the old post to verify his claim. :wink:
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"Is this list still being updated? Is there a more recent version?
It would be great to keep this list updated, while maintaining privacy for those that request it." Torrin.

Aye, the list is being updated as new information comes in. Privacy is important. The information on the list is readily accessable. What's interesting is, where possible, the history of the sets, previous, original, and present owners. Kevin Rowsome inquired about the list at Miltown, and he naturally has access to a lot of other material. I started the list as I was curious as to how many full sets Leo made during his lifetime, and how many survive today.

I've started to compile a list of pipes made by Dave Williams, in my mind the best ever maker of concert pitch uilleann pipes as regards tone, craftsmanship and aesthetic elegance. However Dave kept extensive records of all his transactions so hopefully that material will be made available some day.
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

It's the perfect list for anyone who wants to steal irreplaceable instruments.

I hope that the people who own those instruments and are on the list have been asked if they WANT their name on the list. Also -- that the listmaker understands that if an instrument is stolen from someone on the list that they might be held in part responsible for the theft.
Tir gan teanga <--> Tir gan Anam.
hpinson

Post by hpinson »

I agree. Why this not locked / removed I don't understand.
rgouette
Tell us something.: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

~Jesus of Nazareth

Post by rgouette »

I'm not a Rowsome set owner: but wanted to at least be able to say I was part of a online thread involving Rowsome set owners.

:lol:
Jeff Cullen

Post by Jeff Cullen »

It's the perfect list for anyone who wants to steal irreplaceable instruments
....then you must love the "pictures of your pipes thread". Actually, I think the perfect list would have their addresses and phone numbers as well...
Jeff Cullen
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - A.E.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"It's the perfect list for anyone who wants to steal irreplaceable instruments. I hope that the people who own those instruments and are on the list have been asked if they WANT their name on the list. Also -- that the listmaker understands that if an instrument is stolen from someone on the list that they might be held in part responsible for the theft." Dionys.

"Duh"

" agree. Why this not locked / removed I don't understand." hpinson.

:moreevil: I've added telephone numbers, home addresses, photos, and GPS co-ordinates :poke:

The present owners of the Rowsome pipes listed have themselves contributed to the list by e-mail knowing that a public (open) list was being compiled on the uilleann-list. In some cases when requested just a town was named, or the owner's initials instead of a name. Who in their right mind would seriously consider stealing a set of Rowsome pipes, and who would buy a stolen set? The piping community is so small, and the number of sets so small, that they stick out a mile if taken to a session, or in the only case I know of, before this list was compiled, the thief tried to sell a Rowsome set and was apprehended. I don't think there is a market for stolen uilleann pipes.