What do you do when you're burned out from sessions?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
ImNotIrish
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

What do you do when you're burned out from sessions?

Post by ImNotIrish »

I decided to take a break. I don't know if I am losing my hearing or what, but recently I find I am having a terrible time
hearing other players, or one other player for that matter....just frustrating, so I decided to take a break. Anyone else ever do this?
Arbo
crookedtune

Re: What do you do when you're burned out from sessions?

Post by crookedtune »

I have taken breaks hoping for the chemistry of the session to change. (Yes, the belligerent chiropractor/piper has been banned! :lol: ). I'm probably in trouble now.

There are times when it loses its luster, but the good sessions are worth waiting for. Mine happens to be at an apex lately.

Acoustics can make a huge difference. Has your venue changed?
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Not because I'm losing my hearing (as far as I know). But yes. I'm finding it a real struggle to drag myself out to the session.
Trip-
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Trip- »

Actually, I don't allow myself to skip a session... I think I can't allow myself either.
I know sessions are mostly for enjoying, but sessions to me are also for the never-ending practice. Of course sometimes one might feel turned off to attend, be it for personal problems or lack of enthusiasm or what not - so he takes a break. It even might be a good thing - I don't know since I never took one.

Sometimes it's so loud around us that I can barely hear the fiddler who sits right next to me, so I just lean towards him and listen up closely.

Arbo,
I wish you would transform your frustration energy into something more worthwhile.
I hate to think that you are frustrated.
Is it just about hearing others? Is there anything more in this break-decision? Maybe the session is low on energies? Maybe the players are just low in amplitude?
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

You're going to Drumshanbo, aren't you Trip-? If so, I'll see you there. I was so pleased to see this thread title, because I just can't make myself go to the sessions at the moment, and it's bugging me. I'm hoping that Arbo's and everyone else's insights will do something to change that. Mind you, my reluctance to get out of the house has nothing to do with my hearing (I think) ...

So, Trip-, if/when we meet up - tell me how to keep that enthusiasm going. :)
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Don't think I've ever really experienced what I think I understand by Arbo's OP..... Sure, sometimes I just don't fancy going out to a sesh when I could (all sorts of reasons), or don't fancy a particular session, and yes, I've had times when I did so much musicking I was physically exhausted, but not as such musically burnt out. If I haven't got to discipline myself to leave a sesh to get to bed at a decent hour I'm usually one of the last to pack up. I also suffer (???) from itchy fingers if I go to (or am in) a gig/concert - I always want to play (more)/have a sesh afterwards. On the other hand, I'm very bad at doing much serious practice at home - like Trip, most of my "practice" and new-tune-acquisition is done at sessions. Which said, I should be doing some practice as there's a Clerorfa concert coming up on Friday and I've got stuff to learn, stuff to refresh and my piccolo embouchure to get into fettle......
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

After years of sessions I've gotten to the point where I enjoy staying home, fixing a cup of tea and working on one or two tunes about as much as anything. I like sessions well enough and will happily play all night at those rare "magic" ones, but I don't think there's anything wrong with taking a break. Besides, playing alone lets me focus on what I want to work on rather than worrying about keeping up, or keeping anyone else happy.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Kirk B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kirk B »

I work from home and find it difficult to get out of the house at times. Going to sessions is one of my few social opportunities so I always look forward to it. There's only one session here in Pittsburgh, but it's a nice laid back group and we pretty much have the pub to ourselves so no trouble with white noise.

Cheers,

Kirk
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Interesting to hear everyone's thoughts on this. So, to clarify, I do have a little hearing loss in my right ear. Perhaps it is getting worse as of late. I think I am bothered by the ambient noise in the pubs. I seem to be having a harder time being in tune, or maybe, others are out of tune....whatever, I just can't seem to get it to click. I am also having issue with tunes that are being played, and or not played....have tried file sharing with members, but I guess they're not into the same material. Anyway, I was just getting more and more frustrated with the whole scene and began to lose my desire to et out of the house and play. Been a month or better now... There's a small session tonight. Let's see if I can drag my ass out of here?
Arbo
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

One word: ukulele. :-)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

benhall.1 wrote:Not because I'm losing my hearing (as far as I know). But yes. I'm finding it a real struggle to drag myself out to the session.

losing the drag session
finding my hearing
losing out

Not myself
because I'm real
But as far as I struggle

to know
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

Puff puff pass. Far out.

You know, if you don't feel like going to the session, why force yourself? Just do something else for a while. I'm always amazed to find people who are putting their heads down, gritting their teeth, and trying to force themselves to play their way through the evening without any real joy.

If you're not enjoying yourself, you're in the wrong place.

Rob
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

Arbo, re the hearing loss you might want to get checked out for excessive earwax buildup. I've had that happen a few times over the years, and it's a real pain for flute players. Everything sounds fine when you play at home by yourself, but when you get out and start playing with others you can hear them fine but can't hear yourself at all. The good news is that if this is your problem, it's an easy fix. Either get the doctor to clean out the wax, or use an over-the-counter remedy (which takes a bit longer, but eventually will work.) Good luck!
Kirk B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kirk B »

When I first started playing flute it really played hell with my tinnitus. It seems to be much better now though. It doesn't keep me awake at night like it does for some folks.

@ John: There's a guy in my session here in Pittsburgh named Vince who plays fiddle. He used to be in the DC area (actually lived in my old hood for a bit) He says howdy. :)

Cheers,

Kirk
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

You may want to try these earplugs:

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx

They turn down the quantity of sound without messing up the tone. I find I can hear myself better in noisy environments with them in. Some kind of proximity effect I imagine.