German vs. English Flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Rob Sharer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

German vs. English Flutes

Post by Rob Sharer »

You know, for some reason today I feel like playing my German flute.

One very recent survey shows them as being favoured 4-1 over the English version.

Rob
Kirk B
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: German vs. English Flutes

Post by Kirk B »

pflipp wrote:Leaving us with the ever obvious question: where does that leave ze French?
They're not even in the round of 16
hans
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

pflipp wrote:Leaving us with the ever obvious question: where does that leave ze French?
the French are in France, quite a nice place to be!
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

I'm only two weeks in with my anonymous old German 10-key, and not a very experienced fluter to begin with. But I'm really, really liking it. And, of course, keys are a revelation.

Of course it might just be that the smaller holes and bore make it so nimble and accurate. Today I'll find out how I feel about it in a session situation.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

I like them all!
My favorite German flute is my original 10 key Meyers flute, that I picked up for $125.
but I also like my Rudall Carte and Fentum... And of course, the American flutes are great players, but now they are out of they are out of they are out of the lineup.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Kirk B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kirk B »

Jon C. wrote:I like them all!
My favorite German flute is my original 10 key Meyers flute, that I picked up for $125.
but I also like my Rudall Carte and Fentum... And of course, the American flutes are great players, but now they are out of they are out of they are out of the lineup.
Wow, I had no idea that Ghana made such good flutes.

Cheers,

Kirk
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

@Rob -- really 4-2. The ref was stoned and FIFA are only in it for the money.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

OK, football. D'uh. I tuned out when the vuvuzelas arrived. My ears buzz enough the way it is. :boggle:
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
pflipp

Post by pflipp »

I escaped both the Tour and the vuvuzela's to go to Belgium and listen to a shawm... go figure :) Well actually, it was quite a cool Polish band which also featured our beloved flute.

At this same festival both Arie de Keyzer and Geert Lejeune were represented, and I had the opportunity to compare my French flute with their new makes. I can now much better understand all the remarks that have been made about the different kinds of flutes (even though there was a lot of background noise).

First of all, it was funny to notice that I had trouble 'filling' any of these flutes, being used to my narrow bore, small embouchure (and finger) hole Thibouville flute. Especially the Pratten types seemed like an amazingly large open gap to me. But luckily I could also let the stand-keeper play and hear great differences. He referred to my instrument as a'little flute' and 'chamber music instrument', which I think were both just remarks. It was very noticeable that the flute had its own qualities, but that they were highly different than those of the newer instruments: like comparing apples and oranges.

I realize I am consistently off topic, since this thread is about German flutes, but I always thought that these were like the French, only a tiny bit wider and in an achaic pitch :) But given the comments here, I may be completely wrong. At least today I did confirm to myself that there's no good comparision of flutes unless it's a live one -- with a player that can master the different embouchures. And I notice that I have still a lot of comparision to do, whenever the opportunity rises.
Rob Sharer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

Hard to say if German flutes are better than French flutes, since there aren't any left to compare with.

Safe to say, though, that they're better than Argentines....

Rob
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Maybe, but it's klose.
Charlie Gravel

― Oscar Wilde
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Hey Rob,

Why are the Germans such great footballers? (No joke intended.) Seriously, they are so damn strong every World Cup since I've been watching since 1986, another great Argentine/Germany showdown (though this last one was more of a beat down). I guess most of their great athletes play football, probably has something to do with it; but it's more than that--discipline, mental focus, team play??

Jason
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

The German team shows some brilliant teamwork, born out of years of disciplined team practise and great coaching. Players have been playing together for years, right from the time they played in the youth squads. Germany has a good system of coaching youth players, young talent is promoted throughout the clubs.

Apart from brilliant teamwork they got excellent individual players who can play creatively. They are all good in passing balls, and they keep moving, and some can move really fast with the ball. So they have been launching lightning fast counter attacks, out of solid defending. Perhaps the youthfulness of the team gives them an edge in athletic strength as well.

I think the German team has always been good at teamwork. But this worldcup team shows a youthful creative spirit, and they are not stuck in defensive football, but keep attacking when they can, which is so refreshing. And in their attacks they are creative and work together. Great football born out of great passion and lots of hard work, discipline and team training.

Looking forward to see the game against Spain.
pflipp

Post by pflipp »

Arg :boggle: Sometimes it's so hard to find people's double meanings on this forum... (At least that also means that I normally can't distinguish an actual flamewar from a friendly ironic conversation, but simply always assuming the latter makes life very easy around here :D )

But well... Since there are no flutes historically being made in Holland, but we're still in the game, all I can say is that we will probably play all of them others :P

...Which is kind of a lie too, because it's all Boehm and recorders around here. And then we tend to loose from the German flutes in the finals :boggle: Bad analogy.