nevermind, no whistles here

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

On 2003-02-09 17:45, Wandering_Whistler wrote:

Me either...

I myself am taking a leave from C&F. I don't know that my presence ever helped anyone much, and as a non-prolific poster, I probably won't be missed much.
I will miss you.
Reasonable person
Walden
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

But not for long as few actually leave.

Except Steve Power. Even Carmel Gunning came back for a bit.

I still miss aremnius. She rocked. But she left quietly, without kerosene on her soles.

Just don't PROMISE yer leaving. That way you can come back (where we want you to be after all) without breaking any promises.

I hope Wizzy comes back too.
Groovehead

Post by Groovehead »

I hope everyone comes back... Such a shame to see folks get all bent out of shape over a misunderstanding of words... :sad:
jim_mc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

I miss Daniel the Celtic Warrior. He rocked.
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I'm glad to see Rich's actions at least commented on. When I saw another thread in which Rich was giving Jessie one last chance, I searched for which thread she'd transgressed in. Evidently it was this one, and now he's said the same thing to Stacey. What's been said in this thread has been really mild compared to a lot of what's been said recently or basically in any few month period in the history of the board.

Note that I'm not saying Rich doesn't have a right to clamp down whenever he wants, and I realize that both Jessie and Stacey have offended some people in the past. I just don't understand why the sudden tightening of the standards.

This board really is much more interesting when Jessie is contributing. I've benefitted quite a bit from her comments, knowledge, and fire sales.

Charlie
rich
i see what you did there

Post by rich »

On 2003-02-09 19:43, chas wrote:
I'm glad to see Rich's actions at least commented on. When I saw another thread in which Rich was giving Jessie one last chance, I searched for which thread she'd transgressed in. Evidently it was this one, and now he's said the same thing to Stacey.
Hrm, since you've decided that this needs to be hashed out publicly: You are wrong.

I asked Stacey to cut it out. She responded by telling me to delete her account, and it has been disabled at least temporarily.

(This, by the way, is what you can rely on if you tell me to delete your account; I promise I will never beg anyone to stay.)
What's been said in this thread has been really mild compared to a lot of what's been said recently or basically in any few month period in the history of the board.
You're right; the problem with JessieK has been going on since I showed up and is not limited to this instance. This was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I've had more than enough of it, and it's my dime, and my mailbox that gets filled up with complaints, and my workday or weekend that gets interrupted to deal with it.

Jessie (and everyone else!) is welcome to continue posting all of the helpful and interesting material she's posted in the past. She (and everyone else!) are not welcome to be consistently rude and mean to the other participants.

None of seniority, posting volume, on-topicness, or insight will grant privileges here to be nasty.

There are plenty of other people here who are interesting and helpful without making other people feel like crap on a regular basis -- although they don't tend to draw as much attention to themselves as a result.

Jessie's hurt a lot of people, and it stops now.

<ul>-Rich</ul>

<small>[Edited out a bit I repeated accidentally.]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rich on 2003-02-09 20:10 ]</font>
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

Well, thanks, Rich.

I speak as someone who has been the recipient of private messages saying "don't worry about Jessie, it happens to a lot of us."

I think that makes your point.

M

PS--I've never butted heads with Wizzy and wish her well. I wish Jessie well, too, when it come to that.
Marguerite
Gettysburg
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Thank you for clarifying, Rich.

Charlie
serpent

Post by serpent »

Wow. Since we're airing our linen here, so to speak, I've been in the middle of this thing with Jessie, Stacey, and Rich, too. Jessie thinks I wronged her somehow by comparing assembly of jewelry with assembly of whistles. That was not my intent, and anyone not too close to the problem could have easily seen that. Here it is, all laid out cleanly:

Beth made a whistle. Simply and incontrovertibly, Beth made a whistle. The fact that she did so with a manufactured head and a home-made barrel that she designed and built, does not change the fact that the end product of her labor is a whistle. So, Beth made a whistle.

Jessie makes jewelry. Simply and incontrovertibly, Jessie makes jewelry. The fact that she does so from commercial chain and catches, plus pendants which she has personally designed and jobbed out to be manufactured for her, does not change the fact that the end product of her labor is a piece of jewelry. So Jessie makes jewelry.

Stacey and Jessie are both very, very good at pissing people off. This time, Rich decided to take issue with both of them. It's his decision, and his prerogative to do so. Jessie decided that discretion was the better part of valor, and is still able to log in. Stacey decided to tell Rich to delete her account, and he did. It was Stacey's decision to have it that way. I'm not happy about it - there are fewer and fewer of us makers here all the time, and I'm starting to get kind of lonesome. :sad: That said, I think Rich will unlock Stacey after a couple weeks of detention, and she'll (I hope) come back when that happens. I also hope that when and if she does, it is with a bit more of a tendency to be "PC". I doubt that'll happen, but one can hope.

Did I miss anything? Don't think so.

I like Beth, Jessie, Stacey, and Rich. And I hate to see these Wars of the Words get so nasty that things like this happen.

And, of course, at the root of the whole thing is the fact that it's all Beth's fault for having the effrontery to post an accomplishment. Shame on you, Beth! :grin: But would you please re-post the link to the sound? And the picture? You made a very cool whistle, and in the middle of playing Henry Kissinger, I missed the good parts.

"Why can't we all just get along??" (R. King)

What a bunch o' mugs I've fallen in with!
:lol:
serpent

S~< :sad: ~*~
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"
E = Fb

Post by E = Fb »

Hey Wandering, thanks for your participation. I was searching the Internet to find something in Portuguese about whistling. I did find a site. It was interesing to see it refer to your site as a good place to find tunes. Hey guy, yer famous!!
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Just a couple of things, and then I'll be quiet.

I wrote to Bill to tell him that while I do make jewelry, I do not claim to make the cast pieces that I sell. I design them. He's the one who called me to task on it, and so I clarified my position on it.

Yes, Beth's end product (the result of her modification) was a fine whistle. I like Beth. I support her in her learning. I never have said anything other than that. If you disagree, please read it again. I got attacked for saying "Oh, so you made a tube." It was not mean-spirited. Nothing I have written in THIS thread, the one I am in trouble for, has been mean-spirited.

I have gotten heated about religion and other things in the past, but this seemed to me a very strange thread to attack me for. I feel wrongfully accused and I don't understand it.

I have been productive lately, though people seem to believe the opposite. I wrote a glowing review of the new Reyburn whistle, I told people about a product that helps with cols sores, to name a couple of things. I absolutely do NOT sign on looking to start a fight.

When I told James to check his messages and finish what he'd started, I didn't mean for him to finish it publicly, though I was upset with him for his private attack that came after I had told Beth I was impressed and said what I quoted above. He said some extremely harsh things to me and I wrote back and explained that I hadn't been mean-spirited at all and he didn't respond and I was upset. I apologize for the thread (the one where I asked him to check his messages), because that one had anger in it.

My participation in this thread did not have any anger, and I was not mean-spirited. I see that a lot of you are prejudiced against me and will clearly see anything I write in the worst possible way, and I apologize for getting out of hand before, but I cannot apologize for my participation in this thread, because I did nothing wrong and I did nothing mean.

I have accepted Rich's repeated threats about deleting my account and though I think his timing is totally weird, I am not fighting it and I am intending to be quiet for a while, but I wanted to clarify my position on both this thread (I was not mean-spirited; I think I gave Beth a larger number of legitimate compliments than anyone else did, and I meant them) and my jewelry (I do make jewelry privately, but I do not make the stuff I sell. I design the stuff I sell.) It is NOT an attack on Beth! It is just where I'm coming from.

I apologize to those I have hurt in the past, because I know that I have gotten quite carried away, but NOT in this thread.

I don't like it when people hate me, I don't like it at all, but I am a strong-willed person and I realize that not everyone will love me. Thankfully, some people love me deeply. And I, them.

Please stop attacking me.

~Jessie
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Let's all just stop, okay? I bear no ill will toward Jessie and I don't want anyone to hold any on my behalf.

Edit - I've asked Rich to lock this thread. Please let it all rest.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: avanutria on 2003-02-09 22:56 ]</font>
serpent

Post by serpent »

Beth, I agree. This one has gone on too long.

Jessie, I'm not mad at you, and I wasn't attacking you, or even scolding you. I was trying to add some logic to what I perceived as an illogical train of arguments. If you took it as an attack, I apologize for that, but it was not meant to hurt you in any way.

I'll make you the same offer I made Stacey - if you want to post something that might, in your estimation, get someone angry with you, email it to me, first. I've got a lot of experience with finding out, first-hand, what people are going to get pissed off over. :grin:

Peace. :smile:
serpent

S~< :sad: ~*~
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Unbelievable thread.

Rich, at least be consistent: People have said much harsher things in this thread and the one you locked (Up Rich) about Jessie than she said in this thread - in fact her comments in this thread were no insult at all, just arguing a technicality. Ditto with Stacy - and in addition, you have people like Piper7 insulting people wholesale here and on the flute forum (at the same time you're threatening to ban Stacy and Jessie), yet you do nothing (to my knowledge) about that, which is quite unreasonable.

I don't know if you're just having some personal issues or what, but you should at least be consistent across the boards and treat everyone equally.

Loren
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

This is a sad, sad thread. It didn't start off as one. But it ended up as a sad, sad thread.
Reasonable person
Walden