Chieftain low E OS tuning problems

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
krabben
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Chieftain low E OS tuning problems

Post by krabben »

I just recently got a hold of an Old style chieftain low E, non-tunable. The tone is wonderful, and this is in my opinion how a low whistle should sound. However I discovered that the whole whistle is about 25cents flat. In addition the first octave C# is about 40 cents flat(surprisingly not that audibly noticeable). Is there anything that can be done to make the whistle play a bit sharper? Or I guess I'll just have to keep playing it by myself. Such a pity though, because I love the sound. Would be nice to be able to play it with other instruments.
fearfaoin

Re: Chieftain low E OS tuning problems

Post by fearfaoin »

Perhaps you are not using the same breath
pressure the maker used when voicing the
whistle. Are you able to make it sharper by
increasing the pressure/speed of the air
column? If so, it may just be a matter of
changing your playing style.
krabben

Post by krabben »

fearfaoin wrote:Perhaps you are not using the same breath
pressure the maker used when voicing the
whistle. Are you able to make it sharper by
increasing the pressure/speed of the air
column? If so, it may just be a matter of
changing your playing style.
It does indeed require a bit more air than im used too. However, it's still noticeably flat when I increase the air speed as much as I can without changing octaves though.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

One other possibility is that the whistle hasn't properly warmed up to "breath temperature". The warming process also has some effects on tuning.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

Just an outside possibility-I once had a low C whistle (different maker, similar design) that played sharp by roughly the same amount-and later found out from the maker that the block had come loose and made it play sharper.

So, it might be possible the opposite is true with yours-check to see if the aluminum block (seen inside the window) is loose, or looks like it may have moved (look for a noticable ring in front of it where it may have been).
~~~~
Barry
pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I've bought whistles over the years which were flat or sharp overall. (Not Chieftans though.) So I myself don't assume that a whistle comes in tune from the maker.
One D was quite flat overall (more than a quartertone) . I ended up chopping the end and carving out all the holes.
One Low G was just a bit too sharp to be played with others. I sawed that one in two and made my own tuning slide with a section of copper pipe from a hardware shop.
Neither had loose fipples: they were just made out of tune.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle