Salt Lake City Sessions - requests please???

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

In trying to find out the supply vs. demand for Irish sessions in the the greater Salt Lake area, I'm curiuos just how many of you locals are interested in a regular (once a week, or at least every two week) session? Is there a day of the week you prefer? A time? A location?

Feel free to contact me off list, but I wanted to post here in case there are any new players not in the "circle" yet as it were.

If you're in the area (perhaps a new player), but just lurk on the board, please make yourself known! :smile:

Thanks all!

Brian~

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Brian Lee on 2003-02-07 09:34 ]</font>
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

You had to throw the word "local" in there, eh Bri? :sad:

Hurry up and invent that transporter! :grin:
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

SHHH! The Crystal People will find out their plans leaked out on the internet! I made it right after I finished my de-neuralizer...
susnfx
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by susnfx »

Hey Bri - You know how I feel about it - more, more often! Sundays are bad but not completely out of the question for me. Does anyone (Brian?) know when the new pub is opening that's supposedly going to have regular sessions? I kept hearing February but haven't heard anything in several weeks.
Susan
AnnaDMartinez
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

Every time we got an open mike started here, and we are a bunch of small towns scattered all over the place, we travel about 18,000 miles a year to make music with our friends, we approach the owner and sometimes just go in and jam with each other some nights, when there's only two of us there. Sometimes it takes months for people to start dribbling in, depending on the weather and who's doing the PR. One open mike, we had people coming in from about 150 miles here and back to make music in the middle of winter. I's say show up at your venue, get the word around and it'll work, especially when you have people who are commited to making Irish Trad music! Go for it, Bri!
Cees
Tell us something.: I became interested in the beauty and versatility of Irish whistles and music over 20 years ago when I first found the Chiff boards. Yes, I do have WHOA, and I love my whistles. :)

Post by Cees »

I'd like to go weekly, but it's impossible for me right now with a baby so small (not quite three months old)...so all I could do right now is probably once a month.

Once she gets bigger, though, and John is done with school this spring, I could probably do twice a month or so...of course, I'd also need to start practicing and actually LEARN some tunes... :grin:
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

I don't think I'd be able to make it up more than once or twice a year.
TW
Ron Rowe

Post by Ron Rowe »

Brian, Brian, Brian,
You complain to me I don't write you, I send you 2 long and rambling e-mails and then you don't right back. What's up with that?
I might be out your way late spring by the way.

Ron
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

On 2003-02-07 15:54, Ron Rowe wrote:
Brian, Brian, Brian,
You complain to me I don't write you, I send you 2 long and rambling e-mails and then you don't right back. What's up with that?
:lol:
I might be out your way late spring by the way.

Ron
Hi Ron! Are you coming to the session at Tom's place at the beginning of June? Should be great - he's leaving the country immediately afterward, too, so keep an eye on your favorite whistles!
Ron Rowe

Post by Ron Rowe »

I may be, depending on when I get my vacation this year. We are going to Mt. Rushmore and yellowstone so it shouldn't be hard to swing by toms.
BrianK

Post by BrianK »

Hello,

I was suprised when I stumbled across this topic because I didn't think there was anyone close by intersted in trad. Irish music. Anyways, I am new to the tin whistle, about 6 months. I do play the GHB, about 7 years, and am very interested in the Uilleann pipes. Thinking about getting Dave Daye's starter set this summer.

- Brian
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Hey Brian, email me, and let's get together! I work in Ogden, and know of another uilleann/GH/whistler there too. Sounds like fun!

Bri~
Sunnywindo

Post by Sunnywindo »

Oh! Here! Me! Image I'm interested!
Though I probably wouldn't be able to do one every single week, every two weeks would work good here. Sundays and Mondays are bad for me, but any other day would be good. Evenings work best, as Jayce is more likely to be home to watch Jordyn.

Hi BrianK! Welcome! It's wonderful to see another local player step forward and introduce themselves. GHB? Wow! And an interest in learning Uilleann pipes to? Mmmmmm.... Two guys named Brian with an interest in Trad and Uilleann pipes living within the same local area. What are the chances of that happening in Utah of all places? I would have said not very good before today. Never say never I guess. :P Well, hope you will be able to come out to some sessions.

And I hope that some regular sessions of some sort can be worked out here in the near future as I think it sounds WONDERFUL! I don't know if there is much I can do to help, but if there is, let me know.

:) Sara
'I wish it need not have happend in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

-LOTR-
Conley

Did someone say SESSIONS?

Post by Conley »

OH!!!!!! Hurrah!!!!! Bless you for doing this!

I would really love to attend! Weekends are best for me, preferably Friday or Saturday although I don't know how often I could come up...maybe once a month? Maybe every other month. I know a few other people, who aren't members here, that would come too.

How exciting!
"Why would I want to fly so much...unless I could?" Lucas Lightbrow
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

BrianK wrote:Hello,

I was suprised when I stumbled across this topic because I didn't think there was anyone close by intersted in trad. Irish music. Anyways, I am new to the tin whistle, about 6 months. I do play the GHB, about 7 years, and am very interested in the Uilleann pipes. Thinking about getting Dave Daye's starter set this summer.

- Brian
What the which is a GHB? Goat Haired Brain? I'm racking my GHB, but I'm feeling particularly blond today.

Welcome Brian, there seem to more Utahns on C&F than any other state, and more Brians in Utah than any other state too!
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing