commercial

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mack.Hoover
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

commercial

Post by Mack.Hoover »

The quiet guy takes control.
Sorta...
After a dozen years of making whistles from "just about anything" and succeeding in getting a reputation linked with "quiet" and "inexpensive" and "novelty" I decided to own it.
I like quiet whistles. I want to offer inexpensive whistles. I like novelty. Whitecaps are all three. So are Hoover brass tunable narrow bore and traditional bore soprano D whistles. I've decided to leave off making other than these because of common sense and the economy. Blacktops aren't much different than Whitecaps and if I charged a "fair" would not be inexpensive. Wood whistles are out of my league. All that pursuing unique materials no longer makes sense to an old man.
Customer satisfaction is still guaranteed if you want what I offer!

And for the same reasons I have started doing my own web site. The closely shorn and somewhat naked http://www.mackhooverwhistles.com/ is up and running with some pages not so up and running but soon to be.

Mack
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: commercial

Post by crookedtune »

Mack, you may have chosen to stop making wooden whistles, but as the owner of a black-topped mahogany G you made, I can assure you they are not out of your league. I've acquired a few other Hoovers over the years, and they get a lot of play.

So, there's all that and the occasional poem as well! Good luck with your redesigned website.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
jkrazy52
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jkrazy52 »

Have to agree with crookedtune. You have a fine hand with wood, Mack, and I have the peach and walnut G to prove it. :)

Glad I have my specialty whistles already .... a ski pole A, my Katrina whistle, etc. Never plan to turn loose of them.

Customer satisfaction has always been your specialty. Can't think of anyone that does it better. Good luck with assuming all control of the website and the whistles!

Judy
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

My advice would be to turn your welcome page into your home page. If you must, stick the big pic on bottom of the welcome page. Home pages that consist of nothing but an 'enter here' link are annoying, athough it's worse if they have flash animations or autoplay music.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Mack.Hoover

Post by Mack.Hoover »

ct and kj and simon, you are great examples of what motivated me to hang in and motivate me still!
I wish it were possible to I.D. every one I feel the same about here and on the other boards, but just so you all know I would if I could!

Simon I'll take that advice! My old friend and webmaster Peter designed those pictures that have been there so long and I can't easily part with them but I didn't know just how to fit them in till your suggestion.

Dale and administrators, can you grant an old quiet guy permission to say thanks?

Mack
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Mack.Hoover wrote:can you grant an old quiet guy permission to say thanks?
And who would that be? :wink:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
markbell

Post by markbell »

I have more Hoovers in my whistle case than any other kind. And I'm a guy that supposedly likes "loud" whistles.

Mack, the low E that you built for me, and the wood-grain look mezzo A, get tons of playing time. The Whitecap on the Eb Generation is probably the best sounding whistle in the whole caboodle.

Mark
sibilo ergo sum
swizzlestick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by swizzlestick »

I am with you, Mark. My Eb Whitecap -- also on a Generation tube -- is amazingly good.

I am kicking myself for not grabbing a wooden G whistle when they were available. :-(

Anyway, thank you, Mack, for all the wonderful hours of playing time I have had on your whistles.
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Mack,

Can't get Brian Lee Dobson's or Kevin Henry's sounds clips to work for me. Not sure if others have problems with those.

Loren
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Loren wrote:Can't get Brian Lee Dobson's or Kevin Henry's sounds clips to work for me. Not sure if others have problems with those.
The links are miscoded. You can do this: Look at the mp3 filename at the end of the link. Then go here and get the mp3:

http://www.mackhooverwhistles.com/sounds/

Or just manually remove the /_vti_cnf from the middle of the miscoded links.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Mack.Hoover

Post by Mack.Hoover »

Thanks Loren and MT. I think the problem may be fixed or nearly so. If not, let me know and I will accept gratefully suggestions as long as they are kept very simple!
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Mack.Hoover wrote:The quiet guy takes control.
Sorta...
Mack
Hey Mack - loud things have a tendency to go through one ear .. and out the other.

Warms my heart to see you still doing that quiet magic you do. Some help by grabbing you by the ear and pushing your face in it, some help by just being here.

Glad you're here.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
squidgirl

Post by squidgirl »

I thought I'd chime in here to say that my Hoover brass narrow bore quiet whistle is my quietest whistle, the magic whistle that allows me the pleasure of sitting in our sunny breakfast nook and quietly playing my whistle without annoying roommates in the livingroom (not quite adjacent, but no doors between us to muffle me for them). It allows me to play whistle downstairs while my roommates are upstairs asleep in their beds. I have an assortment of quiet whistles, being an apartment dweller who likes to play in the evening hours, and my Hoover narrow bore is the one I turn to when extra-late hours or proximity of involuntary listeners demand extra thoughtfulness.

And my extra-quiet whitecap, while louder, is the practice whistle that gives me the most whistley satisfaction. Hard to describe what I mean there, but most quiet practice whistles involve some compromise tonally, but my whitecap has a combination of reediness and purity that I find quite enchanting. But you can get whitecaps to be quieter or louder, depending on what you ask for. Mack is great to work with.
cephalopods => weirdly intelligent
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

And my stainless steel-bodied C is the smoothest, sweetest whistle in the world... I play it so much, Mack. Thank you.
tucson_whistler

Post by tucson_whistler »

i have to say i'm sorry to see the blackcap go... i still have mine, and i play it on a feadog d body, a gen d body, and a gen Eb body--it makes them all playable. :)

i'm sorry i missed out on the g too; if you ever have a mind to try them again, you can put me on your list... :)

also, i looked at your pictures... seems to be all whitecaps. do you have any photos of the narrow bore brass? or am i missing something...

cheers,
eric
Sindt D | Gene Milligan blackwood D | Burke low D | Olwell keyless blackwood Eb/D/C flute
http://shakespeareanreview.com/