tinwhistler's day jobs

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
revwhit
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by revwhit »

Actually, I am a Father to many - two genetically - with a great Mom.
Tahquitz
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tahquitz »

I was a journeyman electrician in the construction field for 18 yrs. until until two yrs. ago when I moved "into the office" as the warehouse supervisor with a large electrical contracting firm.
Since the tool belt has come off, it, and most of my clothing, have mysteriously shrunk!!?
Marc Burroughs
Reyburnwhistles

Post by Reyburnwhistles »

Wow! I just went thru the whole thread and this is really interesting.
Well after college I flew for the Navy in the Viet Nam fiasco, then painted some houses for a while, then became a commercial electrician, then made wooden jewelry (which was a great foundation for making whistles), then started my own lighting design business, then started making Native American flutes, Whew!!! Then started making whistles, which I do now full time in the forest just outside lovely Ashland, Oregon. My shop is run totally on solar energy which I'm quite happy about. I live with my partner of over 2 years and am step father to her 16 year old son. Oh and yes my partner keeps me fairly busy building laundry rooms and saunas and green houses and stuff like that.

Ronaldo
Steven

Post by Steven »

Hey Ronaldo, what did you fly in the Navy? My father-in-law is a Navy pilot (about to retire). He mostly flew the E-2.
Reyburnwhistles

Post by Reyburnwhistles »

Stephen, I flew a vintage P2V Neptune (left over from the Korean war) in Viet Nam which was configured for anti-submarine warfare, but there weren't any subs so we used it for reconnisance. Fortunately for me we didn't carry any guns and noone shot at us so it was a fairly safe experience. When I returned to the states after my 6 months overseas they decomissioned my squadron (cause the planes were so old) and I flew a modified Gulfstream 1 (TC-4C) which was used as a flying classroom to train A-6 bombadier/navigators. That was on Whidbey Island which was a beautiful place to live.
Ronaldo
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

OK, we have lots of new folks, so let's update this, newbies! What do you do for a living?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
roycustomknives

Post by roycustomknives »

I was a jeweler for 20 years, and I have sorta retired to Knifemaking which is my passion.... One of these days I plan to make my own whistles, it's just a matter or time..... :D :D :D
raiden29

Post by raiden29 »

It would seem that i'm one of the young ones.
I learn in high school and work as a soundman in different events, not exciing, in fact not really a good job. but aside from that I play the whistle the flute the guitar and the tenor saxophone.

that's it i think, oh yeah, and I play a bit of hockey.
Leel
Tell us something.: Hi All - I am a Celtic music performer with a band called Beyond the Heather, located in the Lawrence, KS/Kansas City area. I sing, play whistles, SSP and bodharan. I've been a C&F member since 2003 but haven't posted much recently.

Post by Leel »

Great Thread!

I'm on the Biology faculty at the University of Missouri- Kansas City (UMKC).

I teach Ecology, Vertebrate Zoology, Invertebrate Zoology, Entomology (bugs), amoung others.

I did my graduate work at KU in Lawrence.

ROCK-CHALK-JAYHAWK!!! :thumbsup:

Lee
wfredette

Post by wfredette »

I worked in public television in Toledo, OH for 10 years - first as a producer/director and eventually as station manager. Then 15 years worth of wondering "what if" came to a head one afternoon and we moved back home to NY so that I could start medical school. Now *there's* the definition of a supportive wife, for you!

As of today, I am on summer vacation before starting my second year of school. One of my summer goals was to learn to play the whistle. I bought a Howard Low D about a month ago and have been hacking away at it ever since. This board has been a huge help.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Whereabouts in Upstate New York?
wfredette

Post by wfredette »

A little town called Worcester. It's about 15 minutes from Cooperstown and about halfway between Albany and Binghamton on I-88.
slowair

Re: Day Jobs

Post by slowair »

I'm attempting to launch a web site design business geared exclusively for not-for-profit organizations.

Before this, I drove truck, had a kite business, started and ran a humor therapy program in hospitals and a was a clerk for DMV.

Cool thread.

Mike
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I am retired from the Naval Sea Systems Command where I headed a submarine control systems group. Over the years I spent time in shipboard testing, hardware design and software design. BTW since I retired I have less time for all those things I thought I would do when I retired not more.

My major accomplishments are 4 beautiful daughters, 16 grand children, and 1 great grandson. I will add another grandchild in December.
I was assisted by my wife of 45 years. My wife actually encourages my whistle playing. She is even OK with whistle acquisitions as long as it doesn't exceed the cost of her Rubber Stamp habit.

I have also been active in my church, especially teaching youth. It is a great thing to see teenagers eager to learn spiritual things.

I used to play guitar and 5 string banjo until arthritis wouldn't let me push the strings down. I began the whistle because of my love of Irish music. I would like to thank many people here who have helped me in many ways. My musical ear is improving because of things suggested here.

BTW Cowtime
I know right where you live. My wife's family is from Chatham Hill in Smyth county. We visit there from time to time. Beautiful country.

Ron Kiley
boomerang

Post by boomerang »

Meat Inspector here, ex butcher, ex beef de-boner...also love foolin around with custom knives...but now i am obcessive compulsive with my whistles......whislt whistling one can never be lonely...and it seems on this site i am in great company....cheers
David
Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience!!