CP: New maker: Bracker Whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Denny
antispam: No

Re: CP: New maker: Bracker Whistles

Post by Denny »

hoopy mike wrote:
spalpeen wrote:
hans wrote:Aluminium on aluminium as a slide does not work well: the material is too soft and will scratch. It may also cease totally, if not lubricated and taken apart to get rid of moisture.
Try waxed dental floss.
At least once a day!
yer gettin' medical there :really: :wink:
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
UncleChuck
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in making whistles. I have been doing it for years, and I have finally started to get good at it.

Post by UncleChuck »

hoopy mike wrote:
spalpeen wrote: Try waxed dental floss.
At least once a day!
<<grin>>
Chiffed
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Chiffed »

Corking joints (oooh, that sounds nasty!) is easy and fast once you get the hang of it, and cork sheet can be bought very thin. I like waxed silk floss or pure synthetic thread, even on clarinets. It's user-servicable. If I had a cork-jointed metal whistle, I'd likely just leave it assembled then add thread to the cork as it got loose. Call me a slob...

Have you looked into the double-o-ring and grease option, or is the stock too thin?
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

I've done now a few body tenons with cork sheet in a groove, and it seems to work fine and is simple enough to do. So I will be doing this as standard, unless someone wants no cork, in which case I'll use PTFE tape. I am awaiting delivery of high quality composite cork sheets used for woodwinds, which should be better than the natural cork sheets. I had to order those from the US, could not find a UK supplier. It's called TechCork in the US.
Have you looked into the double-o-ring and grease option, or is the stock too thin?
It is thin. It also requires too much engineering I think.

Has anyone tried Teflon lining inside the barrel to act as a slide? Could that be feasible?
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

hans wrote:Has anyone tried Teflon lining inside the barrel to act as a slide? Could that be feasible?
I haven't tried Teflon. I'm still concerned about the attention teflon gets in the health press, unproven or not. I guess it would work. Cooking gear has been coated with teflon for years. It is used in lots of other industrial applications as well. There might be some wear if both surfaces are not coated.

What I have tried that works well is lining the metal body with a thin layer of plastic - delrin or CPVC/PVC. Both make a suitable tuning side but it is difficult to machine the plastic tubes really thin. I should look for thin plastic sheet material that can be molded to the inside of the tube shouldn't I? I went back to using brass for the slides on my aluminum whistles.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

I meant for instance a Teflon sheet, like it is used for covering tins in an oven. That is fairly thin. It would need to be glued inside the barrel, which may be tricky. And it may not provide enough elasticity, so the tenon needs to be just the right diameter. Teflon is actually PTFE, it is a DuPont's brand name. Does anyone shout health warnings about use of PTFE tape in plumbing?
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

hans wrote:I meant for instance a Teflon sheet, like it is used for covering tins in an oven. That is fairly thin. It would need to be glued inside the barrel, which may be tricky.
The trouble with trying to glue Teflon is that it's non-stick!
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

hans wrote:I meant for instance a Teflon sheet, like it is used for covering tins in an oven. That is fairly thin. It would need to be glued inside the barrel, which may be tricky. And it may not provide enough elasticity, so the tenon needs to be just the right diameter. Teflon is actually PTFE, it is a DuPont's brand name. Does anyone shout health warnings about use of PTFE tape in plumbing?
Yes I think that would work. You seem to have the issues right. Gluing probably is the issue as Hoopy Mike says. There has to be an accepted way to bond teflon to aluminum.

I do have some delrin that is combined with teflon. I bought a tub of cut-offs some years ago. It makes slick slides and slippery plugs but I don't use it for whistle I make for others anymore.

I grew up in the state of DuPont..er, I mean Delaware. I think the state moto was "Better Living through Chemistry". DuPont pretty much owned the state back then. Half of the households in my neighborhood were owned by DuPont employees. Teflon and the rest of DuPont's catalog were the wonders of our lives in the fifties and sixties. The area where I grew up has teflon contamination everywhere according to some. No one in DuPont or Delaware cared about long-term health effects. And yes, many folks are really touchy about the use of teflon, even plumber's tape, for use in anything that could be ingested. And we do put whistles to our lips. But then aluminum is on some people's lists of a material to avoid too. Thank heaven there is nothing in exotic woods that give people any health concerns. :lol:

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
yellowhistler

Post by yellowhistler »

Hi Hans.
I use synthetic cork sheet for the tuning slides on my alu whistles. The ones I buy are 1mm thick and can be turned or sanded down very thin indeed, about 0.3mm to 0.4mm on my slides. You might want to look for the sheets in auto parts stores, that's where I get them. They're used for making gaskets and aren't very expensive and comes in about 200mm by 500mm pieces.

Ordinary contact cement works best and holds very well. And a nice trick you can use if you happen to make the fit a bit too loose or the cork has gotten a little compressed over time is to submerge the cork joint in boiling water for a few seconds. This expands the cork to make a tighter fit, I've done this a few times and it holds for a very long time. Also the glue is not affected by the treatment.

Best wishes
Marc
Maihcol
Tell us something.: I have been selling my flutes since 2010 and I have moved back to Ireland from Brazil and I am now based in County Offaly.

Post by Maihcol »

hans wrote:... I am awaiting delivery of high quality composite cork sheets used for woodwinds, which should be better than the natural cork sheets. I had to order those from the US, could not find a UK supplier. It's called TechCork in the US.
You might also find a greater range of thicknesses of cork sheet available from:

http://www.novitasrosas.com/en/produtos.php

This is the website of a Portuguese supplier, where the cork is grown. I was going to buy from them myself last year as I think they were offering the sheets in thicknesses closer to what I wanted...saves you some sanding :)

I'm happier with thread though, both on my flutes and whistles - cheaper, easier for the player to maintain and just as effective. However, a threaded slide joint on a whistle does take a fair bit more time to make than a simple joint with plumbers/teflon tape...

Garry
Garry Somers Flutes: http://www.somers-flutes.com
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Those who are used to playing GHBs will have little problem with a wide-bore C or D. If you are used to narrow-bore whistles like Gens, you will need to change your aproach.

I put some wide-bore Chieftain whistles into the hands of Johnny Rotten McHaggis and saw how such a wide bore can cook - - >in tune and glorious! (google "The Go Set").

There's nothing wrong with high energy!!

But be ready for it ;)

(edited to say: AC/DC were well known to warm-up for their gigs by playing bagpipes together in the green-room .. and where does all that energy come from anyway?? .. I don't imagine they've changed a lot in that regard .. I have played with some of them on stage .. they like me are getting older .. but not any bit mellower <larf!> )
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
hans

Post by hans »

Thanks for all those tips for the tuning joint!

The extra-wide-bore high D and C whistles give indeed a lot of extra power, I measured ca 9dB more than my standard D whistle, which can play loud as well, and ca 6db more than a version of it with a wider windway, which I'll call the D-L model. Earplugs for the player may be recommended.

I developed these extra-wide-bore high whistles first last year, but was afraid to advertise them, as they need extra breath power. But having finally found a good design for my standard D and C whistles, which uses not as wide a bore and still gives good power, I thought the extra-wide-bore whistles may indeed suit some players, especially if you play outdoors or in big venues.

The more choice the better!
R Small
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by R Small »

"The more choice the better!" I second that.