I'm warming to my Susatos

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

I got a couple of Susato High Ds, a Dublin (non-tuneable) and Kildare (tuneable) about 18 months ago, but found them squeaky, jumpy & temperamental, and laid them aside for something less demanding.

Coming back to them in the last couple of weeks, my goodness how they've improved!

Which goes to show that if you leave a whistle alone long enough it'll get lonely & behave better, or just possibly that my breath control has improved and now I'm up to Susato standard.

On this flimsy evidence, I'd recommend a Susato if you have been playing a year or more (or less if you practise a lot) and want volume, but probably not to a complete beginner. The additional joy is that, being plastic, they are immune to rust, heat & cold (within reason).
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

Ah, sounds like the right time to try to sell you mine Martin. :razz:
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Well, I like Susatos.

But I'm not one of those folks who has one perfect "whistle sound" in his head that he always tries to match.

I like having a drawerfull of whistles, with their different sounds and different personalities.

Best,

--James
http://www.flutesite.com
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

You know, I got mine as a fairly beginnerly level. All I had was a cheapy Feadog and getting the Sausato was a great move for me. It was easier to get the sounds I thought I should be getting and I found it fairly predictable. But, I hadn't much experience with whistle to that point. I still like mine too --as I've grown into it evenmore.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

FJohn,

You have a good point of course. When I started whistling I basically didn't want people to hear me practising, so I was pretty timid in blowing into the thing. The Susato rewards, indeed requires, a bolder approach. The upper register, particularly G and up, requires a very focussed stream of air - not volume as such, but good pressure. Moreso than the cheapies I usually play (Generation, Feadog, Walton).

I don't dislike the sound either, as James says, different whistles for different moods. I like to switch whistles around when I'm practising, I think it helps me develop.

cheers, M
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

Shouldn't that be "Susati"?

If you're lurking, Mike, would you care to give us an etymological background briefing?
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
Cees
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I became interested in the beauty and versatility of Irish whistles and music over 20 years ago when I first found the Chiff boards. Yes, I do have WHOA, and I love my whistles. :)

Post by Cees »

Thou foul traitor, O once-time friend Martigorn!

You have gone over to the Dark Side!

:lol:
Tahquitz

Post by Tahquitz »

Like peeplj, I like to have a variety of sounds. My Susato sop. C sounds particularly cool played in the large warehouse space I work in...after everyone's gone home of course. It's the Ethel Merman of whistles IMO.
Makes me think..."Nooo Business like Shooow business..." with a little rhythmic restructuring might turn into a snappy jig!?
Marc Burroughs
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

Interesting way of putting it, Tahquitz... :lol:

On a different note (he he he), I like my Susato when I need to play loud and there isn't any amplification. The rest of the time, it's Dom and Merv (My sweetones in D and C) to the rescue! he he he.
Light spills into the hidden valley,
Illuminating the falls, paths, and
The breathtaking Elvish dwelling
Set back among great trees.
Lilting strains of Elven songs fill my heart;
I am finally home.
~Isilwen Elanessë
snoogie

Post by snoogie »

I like my Susatos also and agree with FJohn. My 'regular' Susato plays a bit too loud for my family's liking.

Then for Xmas I got a VSB (in D) and love it. It has a great clear tone similar to the 'regular' bore but much quieter. While the 'regular' requires you to play boldly, the VSB rewards less air and more control on the upper octave.

Prior to that I had a Feadog and a Walton's Brass D. I was wondering if I would ever be able to play well with a good sound. These were way too squeaky and chiff/airy sounding (for my taste).

The susatos have a much clearer rounder tone that I prefer, and they are not going to empty your wallet.

-gary
There is no try, only do or not do. - Yoda
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

One thing about the Susato whistles: if you have bad fingering, or sloppy playing, or bad breath control--if you have just about <i>any</i> part of whistle playing that's not firmly under your control--with a Susato, the whole world hears it.

In some ways I think they are like the Pratten model flutes in the flute world, only the Pratten can be a hard flute to learn to blow, and by the time a player achieves the volume it's capable of, he's usually well on his way to learning the other aspects of playing and is no longer a rank beginner.

I wonder sometimes if Susato's don't sometimes take it on the nose simply because they have good tone and volume from day one, so that in a beginner's hands, you hear every squeak, every sour note, every faked roll, every missed fingering.

I think a Susato in the right hands can be a wonderful whistle. Fact it, a person I've learned much about whistle playing from, especially in the early days of our little band, is Sam McReynolds, and Susatos are pretty much all he plays.

If you ever listen to "The Arran Boat" off my website ( http://www.flutesite.com/fianna/arran_boat.mp3 ), that sad, lonesome sounding, sweet-as-sugar whistle playing is just a plain old black Susato D regular bore whistle.

Best,

--James
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

If you ever listen to "The Arran Boat" off my website ( http://www.flutesite.com/fianna/arran_boat.mp3 ), that sad, lonesome sounding, sweet-as-sugar whistle playing is just a plain old black Susato D regular bore whistle.
The plain old black Susato VSB is nice too, with spot-on intonation and a tone as pure as new-fallen snow. For example: http://pw2.netcom.com/~ridseard/london_s_x.mp3
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

By the way, I was not the whistler in the Arran Boat. That lovely whistle playing is Sam McReynolds.

--James
paulsdad

Post by paulsdad »

On 2003-02-06 11:47, Ridseard wrote:

Lovely sound......but think how much nicer it would sound on a Sweetone! :smile:
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

On 2003-02-06 17:50, paulsdad wrote:
On 2003-02-06 11:47, Ridseard wrote:

Lovely sound......but think how much nicer it would sound on a Sweetone! :smile:
Well, I like Sweetones fine, but I would have never been able to balance the sound.

Even using a Susato, I was holding back with everything I had to try to not overpower him with the flute.

I don't know if I could play any flute (except Boehm-system) soft enough to balance a Sweetone, unless you miked it individually.

Best,

--James