Message board structure

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Chuck_Clark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Chuck_Clark »

1. It ain't broke.
2. Don't try to fix it.
Aodhan

Post by Aodhan »

I have a message forum just starting with something similar, as well as other categories dealing with gaelic culture.

http://www.gaeliccrossings.com/forums/

Aodhan
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

We already have a problem with the need for double postings on the main board and the ITM board. Even with these, people still miss out on information they want because they are not in the habit of searching this or that board.

Let's continue to live in our rich, varied, lush, prodigal and sexy jungle and let the lawyers and archivists get on with the business of forcing everything into artificially neat and narrow categories.
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zubivka on 2003-02-04 22:34 ]</font>
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

On 2003-02-04 22:32, Zubivka wrote:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zubivka on 2003-02-04 22:34 ]</font>
Awww. I think I preferred this post before the edit Zub. :wink:
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

I like this diverse, unstructured, all over the map, kind of free-thinking...not knowing where it'll take you next. It keeps us all sloshed together(as if we need more juice) and kind of equally up to speed on anything (or "nothing") depending on one's perspective.

We had a couple of self-appointed cops on the Pipe Forum that tried to control things. It kind of took the fun out of it and drove people apart, IMHO.

This whistle board is quite colorful, has some grey areas, but I like it like it is...lots of personality. Image
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Bala, as you can see, folks here are pretty conservative. :smile: So am I, as a matter of fact.

Jens
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Don't try to re-invent the wheel.
snoogie

Post by snoogie »

Keep it the way it is...

If you split it up, then you won't have the 'critical mass' in any one place to keep it going and many will loose interest.

I like the chaos!
There is no try, only do or not do. - Yoda
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Considering there are 140 pages of topics in the The Poststructural Whistle Board...
Adding a forum for OT's (ads, etc.) may actually be of service.
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

I like the stream of consciousness feel of the board as it is. If this forum were only about information exchange then a more segmented format might be warranted. But we are talking tin whistles here, not world peace and economic progress for third-world nations. There is a lot of feeling and nonsense involved in making music. If we take it TOO seriously we risk losing the spontaneity and fun.
Mike
rbm

Post by rbm »

On 2003-02-05 08:03, burnsbyrne wrote:
There is a lot of feeling and nonsense involved in making music. If we take it TOO seriously we risk losing the spontaneity and fun.
Mike
Yes !!! no fun no play
Wizzer

Post by Wizzer »

With so many off topic post there is a chance of loosing the purpose of the board. It might be wise to set up an OT board to help those in our community who like to chat and this way they would not feel that they were imposing upon others looking for information.
I know I do not have the time required to search all the post for information and have stopped paying attention to most post on the whistle forum. There are those who really enjoy the banter on any topic and that should continue. It would be nice however for those not into that to be able to read thru the whistle topic.
If all else fails we could move the whistle post to the ITM board and leave the whistle board for OT.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wizzer on 2003-02-05 09:34 ]</font>
TomB

Post by TomB »

On 2003-02-04 19:05, Blackbeer wrote:
I love chaotic!!! I love reading a thread not knowing what it will turn into. I love the knowledge that one can mine in here. My life can be structured out there, not in here please. I prefer to spend MY TIME in here because of the way it is set up. It`s loose, friendly, kinda off the cuff. It`s a whistlers place. Lets just let it be what it will be.

Tom
Personally, I think the above post says it all. Well Done!!!

All the Best,

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Bala

Post by Bala »

Changing the board would not cause a loss in the free flowing feel that it currently has. You get the same effect but it's easier to keep up with. Also it's not an "if it aint broke, don't fix it" issue. It's an "if it ain't broke, try to improve it so that everyone, newbies and long-time posters' alike get the same benefits from the board".
Considering there are 140 pages of topics in the The Poststructural Whistle Board... Adding a forum for OT's (ads, etc.) may actually be of service.
Agreed.
There is a wealth of information on this board and it's a shame that it's not a little more structured. I don't think this change would be as big a deal as most are making it out to be. It's not "re-inventing the wheel", it's improving it. Sure there's only so much you can discuss about the whistle, and maybe it has all been discussed. That could be the reason for all the OT threads. So for the newer members especially it would be nice to be able to avoid all that at first and focus only on learning about the whistle.
Oh well, it seems that I am the minority on this, so to respect the majority and not step on any more tows, I guess I will give it up.

p.s.
Maybe there should be a rule that you have to have 1000 posts before you go trying to change everyone else's groove
"Sorry" for having an opinion about this. I wasn't trying to "change everyone else's groove", just trying to make it smoother. Everyone has a voice and should use it!