Should I buy a low whistle or flute?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Should I buy a low whistle or flute?

Post by mutepointe »

For all the other instruments that I have learned how to play, when I play the flute, I am a musician.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
tucson_whistler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by tucson_whistler »

hi, i'm in the same boat... i've been playing the whistle for about 6 months or so and i'm starting to branch out...

i have a low whistle, a susato; you can read my post about playing it over on the whistle board:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=74513

i love low whistles; i think they have a totally unique sound, but there are caveats to learning to play them (see the link above :)

as far as trying the flute... i got a tipple off of another c&f member; i'm trying to learn the embouchure now. not easy! :) i think it's going fairly well, i can almost get up and down a d scale now. but after about 10 minutes of trying i start making this weird barking noise (does anyone have any idea what that is?), i guess because the back of my throat isn't open enough (that's what it feels like).

but i'll keep at it... anytime i get discouraged i just listen to my favorite kevin crawford song... :)

cheers,
eric
Sindt D | Gene Milligan blackwood D | Burke low D | Olwell keyless blackwood Eb/D/C flute
http://shakespeareanreview.com/
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

tucson_whistler wrote:
as far as trying the flute... i'm trying to learn the embouchure now. not easy! :) i think it's going fairly well, i can almost get up and down a d scale now. but after about 10 minutes of trying i start making this weird barking noise (does anyone have any idea what that is?), i guess because the back of my throat isn't open enough (that's what it feels like).
cheers, eric
As someone who lived in Arizona (mostly Tucson) for thirty years, I think I recognize that weird barking noise that you are referring to. I used to get that way due to my allergies from all of the blooming desert plants. It could be, though, that what you are experiencing is really not a bark but a honk. Many people try for years to get a honking sound, and you've gotten it in the first few months. I realize that Bowie is out in the middle of nowhere, but maybe you could find a flute player for a few lessons to help you over the hump with your embouchure. Enjoy your learning experiences with the flute. Best wishes, Doug
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

I am not sure how far Pheonix is from Tuscon, but there are some good players from there if you ever get a chance to visit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vcxqFXP ... re=related
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
Denny

Post by Denny »

couple o' hours if it goes well
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Tucson whistler now has a Bowie, Arizona address. If I remember correctly, Bowie isn't very close to anywhere else. Maybe there is a cowboy who plays a little Irish flute on the side.
Denny

Post by Denny »

yep, that'll add another hour and a half....

worse'n my Seattle :D traffic is probably a lot less there :really:
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Get some Uilleann pipes. You hold them the same as a low whistle and they're hard to play like a flute...so you get the best of both. :D

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I'd go flute. My first was a Tipple and it served me well. Doug's a fine fellow. THe others others have mentioned here are great as well. I'd avoid the Dixon duo. But, Dixon does make an excellent 3 [piece conical delrin flute. Come to think of it that was my second flute.

Happy tooting. :)

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Tarin

Post by Tarin »

More and more I'm thinking about the Tipple. Think I have to see what the costs for shipping and customs are for USA - Germany. Think also, I have to send Doug a mail by time..

Greetings
Tarin
Visit my practice-diary channel on YT: http://www.youtube.com/user/WhistlesOnTin
Trip-
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Trip- »

Actually I'd advice to go with a low whistle first...
I think it's a natural path to go before trying the flute. Of course u could go with the flute, but you'll miss out the low whistle this way, and might not try it at all whatsoever... :)
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Actually I'd advice to go with a low whistle first...
I think it's a natural path to go before trying the flute. Of course u could go with the flute, but you'll miss out the low whistle this way, and might not try it at all whatsoever... :)
Don't listen to this guy! :twisted:
Just kidding of course.
I started with the flute actually, and then got a high whistle.
Personally, I think that the low whistle is useful if you're mainly a piper and therefore can't keep your lips trained to play the flute. IMHO, being a flute player, I find there's absolutely no reason to take up the low whistle...
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Othannen wrote: Personally, I think that the low whistle is useful if you're mainly a piper and therefore can't keep your lips trained to play the flute. IMHO, being a flute player, I find there's absolutely no reason to take up the low whistle...
This is an area where folks will have differing opinions. If I had to choose only one, it'd be flute for sure. That said, the low whistle is an instrument unto itself, and there are sounds that only a low whistle can produce.

Listen to the great players, notice how and what they play, and decide from there. Eventually, like most of us, you'll probably own both. :lol:
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
tucson_whistler

Post by tucson_whistler »

Doug_Tipple wrote:As someone who lived in Arizona (mostly Tucson) for thirty years, I think I recognize that weird barking noise that you are referring to. I used to get that way due to my allergies from all of the blooming desert plants. It could be, though, that what you are experiencing is really not a bark but a honk. Many people try for years to get a honking sound, and you've gotten it in the first few months. I realize that Bowie is out in the middle of nowhere, but maybe you could find a flute player for a few lessons to help you over the hump with your embouchure. Enjoy your learning experiences with the flute. Best wishes, Doug
Dear Doug (and Jon)

thanks so much! Bowie isn't near anything except empty desert, but i get into tucson fairly often (at least once every couple of weeks). if anyone can recommend a flute teacher there i would definitely look them up. :)

i might be relocating to phoenix in about a year; i'm hoping so, i've seen on the web that there are trad groups up there; i think they have an irish music cultural center? that would be great. :)

and Mr. Tipple, thanks for doing what you do... i'm practicing on one of your flutes now; as i said i got it off another c&f-er. it's really nice! :)

thanks,
eric
Sindt D | Gene Milligan blackwood D | Burke low D | Olwell keyless blackwood Eb/D/C flute
http://shakespeareanreview.com/
Denny

Post by Denny »

donno if he's still there...

USA, Arizona, Tucson, Students saught Whistle, Guitar (soon)

even if he's not he might have met some folks while he was there if you can connect with him
he did have an email addy (besides the PM)
'course he hasn't logged on to C&F since then either
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Denny wrote:donno if he's still there...

USA, Arizona, Tucson, Students saught Whistle, Guitar (soon)

even if he's not he might have met some folks while he was there if you can connect with him
he did have an email addy (besides the PM)
'course he hasn't logged on to C&F since then either
Is that the Nick Metcalf of Ethnic Winds Instruments. If so, isn't he in Texas these days?

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.