RSI in left forearm

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
iwilson
antispam: No

RSI in left forearm

Post by iwilson »

I've been playing the flute for approx 9 months now, but have only recently started to get a little RSI in my left forearm. I've been playing for about an hour a day consistently for the last 6 months.

I do try and play without tension, but sometimes I tense up, especially my left thumb.

I try and hold my flute horizontally. My head is facing approx 60 degress to the left so that I'm not twisting at the waist or chest.

My right arm is almost parallel to the ground. My left arm is held such it sticks out a bit, with upper and forearm both at approx 45 degrees angle.

My grip is a normal (i.e. not a pipers grip) flute grip for the left hand. Left thumb is more on the inside of the flute then underneath. The flute is resting just above the base knuckle of the index finger.

With the right hand I pretty much have a straight line from elbow thru the wrist to fingertips, and cover the holes with the fleshy bit behind the top knuckle.

Any suggestions or tips about RSI? Could any of the above be improved?

Thanks
Ian
Denny

Re: RSI in left forearm

Post by Denny »

try moving the flute closer to your palm (on the first knuckle of you index finger)

try to not move your wrist while you play, also do not visualize holding the flute with it
instead think of it more as an elbow/1st knuckle hold

keep the elbow close to your body

try to find some place to put your thumb that the wrist likes :D
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

Frequently put the flute down, and "shake" out the tension from the arms and hands. Stretching is always good, too.

If you feel you really could be developing a medical issue, don't wait. See a doctor about it!
(Prevention is much faster and simpler than cure).
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

What make and model flute are you playing?

Loren
iwilson

Post by iwilson »

Loren wrote:What make and model flute are you playing?

Loren
An Olwell nicholson mostly, and occasionally an M&E delrin.

Ian
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Oh, now I get it. Send it to me, and I'll happily test-drive it to make sure you're safe.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

if you are consulting a physiotherapist
take your flutes with you
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

iwilson wrote:
Loren wrote:What make and model flute are you playing?

Loren
An Olwell nicholson mostly, and occasionally an M&E delrin.

Ian
Ian,

I have been struggling with pretty serious RSI in my left forearm, due to flute playing, for several years now. I have tried many types of therapy etc., which is well worth the time and effort, but unfortunately I have yet to find any permanent solutions. The one thing that has helped has been to switch flutes to the thinnest one I could find, this at least allows me to get some playing time. I used to play an Olwell which was the same size as yours, but I had to stop playing it, as well as several other flutes with a similar outside diameter. If you have access to friends with thinner flutes you could try, have a go on a slimmer flute, for me it ended up being a Watson and a Grinter. The Watson works best for me, as it is both the thinnest and lightest flute I've ever run across. Most Rudall style flutes are pretty slim though, so there are many you could try. Best of luck with it, this RSI thing is very frustrating indeed.

Loren
CABrownie

Post by CABrownie »

I have seen people use finger and thumb rests made of plastic that clip on the flute. I'm not sure if they'd fit a wooden flute, but maybe it's worth a try? Bo-Pep is one brand I've seen.
CABrownie

Post by CABrownie »

also, it' good to check for any tension in your shoulder/upper chest and neck. Stop playing periodically and stretch both out. Make sure your shoulders aren't rounded or elevated when you're playing.

Are you having numbness/tingling too, or just pain?
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

As Denny says, bring left elbow toward the body.

Left thumb: practice playing with that thumb simply off the flute, hanging as it were.

Check your left wrist: might try straightening it more.

Review your grip of the flute: how are you holding it. Are fingers doing any work holding it?
The entire grip, including right hand.

A bopep can be fashioned out of clear garden hose or plastic tubing, available at hardware stores.
cut off a section, split it lengthwise at the top and put it on the flute where it meets your
left hand.

Take a few days off.

Is there anything else you are doing, e.g. typing, that might be contributing to the problem
or even causing it?
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

For several years I made and sold magnetic bracelets locally and on ebay, and that was before they became commonly available in the corner drugstore. I have arthritis and repetitive strain injury in both hands (especially thumbs and wrists). Wearing magnetic bracelets with fairly strong magnets seems to relieve my pain, along with over-the-counter pain medicine. I'm not saying to not try the other good suggestions, but also try magnetic therapy to help relieve your pain from RSI. Take those magnets off the refrigerator and put them to another good use.
Rob Sharer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

In keeping with my rep for drive-by thuggery, I feel compelled to mention that virtually the entire scientific community considers magnetic therapy to be a complete load of old codswallop.

Surely there must be some more salutary treatment one could find for RSI. I for one swear by the holistic approach, i.e. get some exercise, drink enough water, cut down on the caffeine, mind your diet, take some vitamins, and get a massage. Oh, and don't grip your flute.

Rob
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

Ok folks. This is why we have to limit medical discussions on the board. Sooner or later, a therapy war breaks out.