recent beers

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

In winter, like now, I'll usually have a hot whiskey or two, a favorite drink in Ireland. It's 3 parts water, one part (Jameson, Paddy, Powers or whatever) whiskey, sugar, cloves and a slice of lemon. If it's summer, then Guinness or Murphy's Stout. I'm playing traditional music so I drink traditional drinks.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Beers? Locally, Sierra Nevada Celebration (winter) or Anchor Liberty Ale (in hot weather) are favorites. When I can find it on tap, Beamish.

An Islay malt like Laphroig or Bowmore is good for when I'm in a sippin' mood.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I've been supporting the Guiness family for years. Love it, love it.

N, not so adventurous
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

blackhawk,
do you boil the water then add rest??? I have a bad sore throat and that sounds like just the ticket!!!
bufo

Post by bufo »

I usually drink home brewed dark Scottish ale. My family has been brewing for several generations. It is in the blood I guess you could say. Really dark and creamy.
Aodhan

Post by Aodhan »

While it's not a beer, I am rather partial to a cider. I can let it sit, and still taste pretty decent as opposed to beers which go flat.

Also, its a bit tart so it helps tighten my embouchure. I tend not to drink too much as I lose fine control over my embouchure and breathing.

Aodhan
Seth

Post by Seth »

I agree with Aodhan on the ciders, Woodchuck for preference. But when I do turn to beer it's usually a Black and Tan. And a small glass of Tullmore Dew on occasion

Seth
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

-Well, I don't play much and drink at the same time-not since putting on a mandolin show for "all the beer you can drink" promised by a Russian restaurant
owner in the midwest. The music started fine, but its quality soon developed an inverse relationship to volume consumed.
-Guinness Extra is great afterward, or India Pale Ales, but none of the "widget" cans. Our own Washington state "Grant's Scottish Ale" is superb! Botella Solamente!

Brian O.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: brianormond on 2003-02-03 16:49 ]</font>
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

On 2003-02-03 16:22, Seth wrote:
I agree with Aodhan on the ciders, Woodchuck for preference. But when I do turn to beer it's usually a Black and Tan. And a small glass of Tullmore Dew on occasion

Seth
<P>Hurrah! Add another vote for the cider contingent. I also love Woodchuck, 'specially at sessions. Dark is best, but there isn't a Woodchuck I <I>don't</I> like.

<P>As far as local brews go, Razwheat is a personal favorite. It tastes like actual raspberries; the only raspberry alcohol I've like more is my father's homebrewed honey raspberry mead.

<P>Guinness I like fine, except it always seems to clog my whistle, so no drinking while I'm playing.

<P>~Firefly
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

On 2003-02-03 15:57, The Weekenders wrote:
blackhawk,
do you boil the water then add rest??? I have a bad sore throat and that sounds like just the ticket!!!
I forgot to mention that, didn't I? Yes, the water should be coffee hot. And it DOES feel good on a sore throat or cold. I had a bartender tell me I shouldn't worry about having too many, as it is, of course, medicinal.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

On 2003-02-03 15:08, DCrom wrote:
Beers? Locally, Sierra Nevada Celebration (winter) or Anchor Liberty Ale (in hot weather) are favorites. When I can find it on tap, Beamish.

An Islay malt like Laphroig or Bowmore is good for when I'm in a sippin' mood.
DCrom, you ever try the stout at Rock Bottom Brewery? It's very good. Stoddard's also makes beer.
Hallatauer

Post by Hallatauer »

All depends where I am and what I am doing.
Local pub it's Yuenglings Black and Tan or Newcastle brown. Guinness at other places. Bluepoint Toasted Lager or ESB. (Bluepoint is a local brewery on Long Island). Just had a Koelsch and a Rauchbier at the German restaurant.

And when all else fails there is always homebrew. I usually make Pale Ales, ESB's and Porters. Also I brew my own mead. If you never had, I'll bring some up to the NY Irish Arts Fest. Actually I should bring alot. :smile:
Dan the Squeaker Extrodinaire
Tahquitz

Post by Tahquitz »

OK...that did it...this subject pulls a long time lurker into the light. First some some introductory info;
Home: Vista, CA (No. San Diego county)
Instruments played:guitar, mandolin, whistles, bodhran (all of which I've raised to new hieghts of mediocrity)
Marital status: yes
Children:a bunch (think "Brady")
Whistles owned:Burke AL pro low D, old style Sweetheart sop. D,Susato sop.C, Schultz WW low G & various Generations

Not to long ago I noticed just up the street from my workplace (San Marcos, CA) a sign that read "Stone Brewing Co." and set out to test their products...Man, was I pleasantly suprised. I don't know how well thier products have been distributed in the U.S. and, if at all, abroad ,but their stuff is well worth a try. I would suggest the Stone I.P.A., Smoked Porter and my fave, Arrogant basmati Ale (printed on the bottle; " You probably will hate this beer as your palette is far to unsophisticated to appreciate it's complexity..." etc).
In the U.S., the number of micro-breweries long ago reached fad proportions and therefore one can easily experience AOA...Accute Option Anxiety...when staring into your grocer's cooler.Like me, I'm sure many of you have experienced the similar, but equally debilitating affects of the "WhOA/AOA Collusion" while scrolling through the C&F whistle listings.
Anyway...Hi all...just gotta say that C&F and this forum have been a "supreme-being" send for a relatively new whistler.

Slan go foill Marc
Marc Burroughs
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Yeah a beer topic (another favorite past time). I'm pleased to see a number of home brewers on board here. In fact, you've inspired me to whip up a batch of stout this weekend. When not homebrewing (bitter, stout, cider & the rare batch of mead which the wife still thinks to be 2nd rate to Pirtle's Mead - just my luck we have a good professional mead co. just north of me), I prefer Boulevard stout on tap, Boulevard Pale ale, Katy Trail Pale Ale, but I always come back to Guiness or Beamish, too.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

To Marc Burroughs: Welcome and thanks for laughs and info.

I have that Acute Option Anxiety but I cured it because I am so cheap. So my favorite ale is Red Tail. A decent, consistent ale made a few miles from my folks up in Ukiah.

They sell RedTail at Costco. For a while, I liked MacTarnahan's but the price went from 4.50 to 6.19 and that was it for me.
We also have the Golden Gate brewery that makes a few different formulas but it went outa sight too so forget it.

Boiling water for a blackhawk down right now!