iPad

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
hans
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Re: iPad

Post by hans »

There is no endpoint in the Business model world view. Things are built to be replaced sooner rather than later. Aimed for Upgrades every two years, and that interval keeps shrinking. All rather detestable for someone who likes his tools to last for decades.
emmline

Post by emmline »

The Weekenders wrote: I also think it's a paradox that laptops get thinner and smaller, while cellphones are getting bigger (as exemplified by iPhones and texty-keyboard phones).
I guess that's why they're calling this thing a "third category"--for that very reason. Many people want to be able to port something that does most of the tricks their computer does. It's why I finally got an iPhone...for portable information. Where am I? Is there a Holiday Inn Express between here and there? Did I get that email?

It does not satisfy my need, though, to pop into writing mode whenever a likely moment appears--at the airport, while waiting for kid's school to end, while husband is jumping through assorted tests for his clinical trial. I'd love to be able to pull out something lightweight and ready at these moments. Even a laptop is cumbersome to carry everywhere. So, I'm waiting to see.

I would not buy one just because it's cool. Rather, I spend a lot of time considering what would work well for me...then, if they invent one, and it seems reliable, I might buy it.
BillChin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BillChin »

I rarely look at Apple products because they are often priced double or triple over other products, and I am price conscious.

Hopefully, by the time the Apple products start to ship, there will be similar offerings at 1/2 the price from other vendors with similar functionality. $15 a month for roaming 3G Internet (250 GB a month) sounds tempting. Especially because there is no contract, it is pay as you go.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

hans wrote:There is no endpoint in the Business model world view. Things are built to be replaced sooner rather than later. Aimed for Upgrades every two years, and that interval keeps shrinking. All rather detestable for someone who likes his tools to last for decades.
Amen. We are chided for not being evolutionary enough, I guess. I love owning tools that were so well built that they will outlast me. I like that permanence.

I keep looking for how the ease and command of electronic resources has made our society better. I know that a person feels much more empowered, so to speak, that the Net provides so many answers to problems and somehow, that can equalize people, the access to information. But I don't see that we aren't still descending into a Roman-like decadence on the large scale; a voracious hunger for increasing sex and gore as well as electronic entertainments of every variety keeping us from looking each other in the eye and smellin' the roses, so to speak. On the micro scale, I can't help but feel that this is yet another way to isolate us from the human community by having us staring at little screens instead of the polluted, unlivable world we are crafting/neglecting/enabling.

One exception has been texting Haiti relief. Wow, it's easy to instantly register and contribute from your reaction of sorrow. It's hard not to admire how our better angels can come forth so easily exactly because of technology (which in my case, I loathe, not being a text-er).
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Hate to say it but it has been a few years since I have stropped my razor and have been using a Gillette double edge razor. Finding blades has become difficult, I might have to go back to the strop. The old cut throat is a great tool.

I do like one thing, recordings are now mine forever. I copy them from a disk and I don't have to transition from record to 8-track to tape to compact disk to etc.
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

brewerpaul wrote:What's the anticipated cost of this?
Five hundred bucks.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

I.D.10-t wrote:Hate to say it but it has been a few years since I have stropped my razor and have been using a Gillette double edge razor. Finding blades has become difficult, I might have to go back to the strop. The old cut throat is a great tool.

I do like one thing, recordings are now mine forever. I copy them on a disk and I don't have to transition from record to 8-track to tape to compact disk
I've been using those for years. I've shaved with a cut-throat razor for a while, just cuz.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

s1m0n wrote:
Five hundred bucks.
Nyuk. Then, when they drop the price by $100 in six months, the acolytes will be dismayed, just like with the iPhone. Remember?
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
emmline

Post by emmline »

The Weekenders wrote:
s1m0n wrote:
Five hundred bucks.
Nyuk. Then, when they drop the price by $100 in six months, the acolytes will be dismayed, just like with the iPhone. Remember?
Just one, among many, reasons to let everybody else try it first.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

s1m0n wrote:... I've shaved with a cut-throat razor for a while, just cuz...
I have a feeling that your kitchen's knives are not dull.
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

BillChin wrote:I rarely look at Apple products because they are often priced double or triple over other products, and I am price conscious.
Last week, there was speculation that this
thing could be over a thousand clams. I
wonder if Apple leaked that so $500 would
seem cheap.
BillChin wrote:Hopefully, by the time the Apple products start to ship, there will be similar offerings at 1/2 the price from other vendors with similar functionality.
There might already have been a CrunchPad
if Mike Arrington didn't insist on a $200 price.
Looks like that's not feasible, as his partner
that was actually making the tablet decided
to take it to market themselves at $499.
(Note: Yet another awful name: the JooJoo.)
It will probably take a while to get enough
low-end players in the market to get much
price drop.
emmline wrote:
The Weekenders wrote:Nyuk. Then, when they drop the price by $100 in six months, the acolytes will be dismayed, just like with the iPhone. Remember?
Just one, among many, reasons to let everybody else try it first.
I never buy a car or gadget in its first iteration.
Wait 'till they fix the bugs and possibly drop the
price.
treeshark

Post by treeshark »

I was really disappointed that there were no teleportation or laundry functions... bit of a missed trick IMO.
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

Oh don't even get me started on upgrade fatigue. I loathe turning off my computer because as soon as I turn it back on again, every application in the universe wants to upgrade itself. Every time I start an application it wants to upgrade itself. It's absolutely absurd.

Everything that wants me to upgrade it gets the Never Ask Me Again box checked. Every application that warns me of security problems gets every form of security turned off. Every gadget that requires me to read the instructions doesn't get bought.

And I would stop shaving entirely if I could get away with it.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

sbfluter wrote:And I would stop shaving entirely if I could get away with it.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
chris_coreline
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by chris_coreline »

iPad is what happens when you hype up what is a very very boring piece of equipment.

that said, i for one cant wait to see what mr Eskin dreams up for it!