CP: Gold!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mitch
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

CP: Gold!

Post by Mitch »

AAARGH!

Even though it's not speak like a pirate day! I just hafta!

It hadda happen .. I said CP, but I'm not so sure. This was hard on every level I can think of ..

Damnit - a whistle should not cost more than a hamberger!! .. and yet we aspire.

The wood I get costs several hambergers and a couple of coffees, then the metals .. and all the tools and stuff I gotta do to the metals to get them fit for a whistle. (pray low low low to meet god). The time - that is our life .. each precious moment ..

SO! At last - I got a loophole to put something special in those damnably hard casts.

Gold ..
Brass looks as good for 2 days .. but there is nothing like this .. I hated this from my youth .. and yet .. To try it is a hard truth. I learn .. I share.

Be afraid .. be very afraid.
The cost of the metal is more than the cost of the time I spent making it.
In this way is the test of humility.
Be tested - I hope you pass.

If you want this .. well I will take the cost of gold up front and get the cast done .. then it will sit for 6 months+ and when it finally gets to you, it will be worth more simply because of the cursed gold.

The pics show solid gold fittings in 9kt - I recommend this for the wear into the centuries. It doubled the price and has gone 20%+ above since the gold was poured - around $800(AUD).

In today's market that's $950(AUD).

In 18kt it's $1600(AUD).
In 24kt it's $5000.

If the head and barrel are in 24kt - that's $35000. My labor remains $200. WHat the gold does is the realm of gold - never actually been there.

Red white and yellow - all at our demand .. for the price.

What is value?

For me it's when my goat drums his trotters and music goes into my hands.

Thanks for indulging my meme .,. the old doctors noted "TIH" in their ledgers - I'll leave that to you to research if you care.
At this time it's all pro-bono for me - if you want this stuff, it's you not me.
I respect that - I make whistles for players.

I don't do goldplate - if you need a mask .. make your own. If you are for real .. then OK. Let's talk.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: CP: Gold!

Post by PhilO »

Exquisite work in any material Mitch, yet, alas, a tad out of my reach, and I'm so satisfied with the delrin/sterling silver one you made. Beautiful.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Wait, an idea. That is indeed a piece to be donated to the International Whistle Museum (IWM), for all ages. I will forward the address of the museum, if you'd like; and it is merely coincidence that the Museum and I share the same physical address.....

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
chrisp

Post by chrisp »

Hmmm, you had any teeth pulled lately Mitch?? :lol:

VERY NICE.... do the satin and silk cushions come with it? Those whistles could almost be censured :D
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

Mitch,

Wow. It's not just your goat who's drumming his trotters.

Perhaps you'd craft one of these in Low D, and we could work out some kinda

MORTGAGE ARRANGEMENT???? 8)
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by DrPhill »

Yeah, a low D in solid 24 carat. That's eight times the metal so a cool 280000 AUD. At less than two to the GBP I could get enough change selling my house to buy a pint. Maybe.

What a wild daydream. Planning on a whistle tour Mitch? Put me first as I thought of it first. :D

Thanks
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
celticmodes

Post by celticmodes »

Wow. What fool would pay that kind of money for a whistle? Oh yeah...me :P

In my defense, I didn't start with that idea. I figured plating would be good (to match my flute) but I agreed when Mitch brought it up that the metal would be subject to wear. I'm glad now that I did. It's stunning. My precious...

Here is it's big brother. The end plug is also solid gold as the jeweler didn't offer plating. If I lose my job, I'll have to melt down my instruments:
celticmodes
[Reviol 8 key | Oz Vambrace | Dusty Strings Ravenna | Luna Trinity Parlor]
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Mitch wrote:...the old doctors noted "TIH" in their ledgers - I'll leave that to you to research if you care.
"Tension Induced by Hypoxia". Sounds whistle-y enough.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I know someone who had (still has its replacement) a solid gold Boehm system flute. One day when he went to unpack it from its case, he found that it had exploded. Twisted out in a weird, frayed spiral. The entire thing. Something that happens with large, worked pieces of solid gold apparently. Even though it was a couple of decades old, Yamaha replaced it without question. Now there's customer service for you.
Scott McCallister

Post by Scott McCallister »

It's beautiful, Mitch. All of it. The metal, the wood, the workmanship. I imagine the sound as well.

I have played my trombones with gold plated mouthpieces (each weighing several ounces... you do the math) and there was a quality about having the gold on my face. Others reported the same sensation I had that, impossibly, the mouthpiece felt "softer". It made my sound fuller and darker too. Like a 50 gallon drum of molten chocolate.

So...When are you going to start working in platinum? :thumbsup:
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

I forgot to say the most important thing, Mitch. That is beautiful craftsmanship - and I would dearly love to be able to justify owning one. But I dont yet deserve another whistle.
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Showoff! :wink:

Seriously, that's great work Mitch. Keep it up.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

celticmodes wrote:Here is it's big brother. The end plug is also solid gold as the jeweler didn't offer plating. If I lose my job, I'll have to melt down my instruments:
DRooooooooooooooool

I love the black keys, too.
celticmodes

Post by celticmodes »

fearfaoin wrote:DRooooooooooooooool
I love the black keys, too.
Yes they are different from the norm. Maurice uses them on light woods also. I considered gold plated keys but that design quickly deviated from cool to tacky :-) Black on black works better.

Check out his gallery. He does exceptional keywork.
http://www.reviol.co.nz/HTML/Thumbnails.html
celticmodes
[Reviol 8 key | Oz Vambrace | Dusty Strings Ravenna | Luna Trinity Parlor]
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

That whistle looks gorgeous!!
I'd feel sorry for blowing through that gold fipple, though :P

Congrats for that workmanship!