The Haphazard Reviewing of Flute Makers

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
mahanpots
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: The Haphazard Reviewing of Flute Makers

Post by mahanpots »

I'm thinking of buying a particular cordless hedge trimmer, but before I spend the money I will search the internet for reviews of the product. If I find a lot of negative reviews, I probably will not buy it. A hedge trimmer is pretty simple to operate. Squeeze the trigger and trim the hedge. Has anyone bought a Black & Decker 18-volt cordless hedge trimmer?
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Limestone Rock, Silver Spear
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes
crookedtune
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

In what type of plastic? They can be cannons, but no one here has the grip to handle one properly.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

mahanpots wrote:I'm thinking of buying a particular cordless hedge trimmer, but before I spend the money I will search the internet for reviews of the product. If I find a lot of negative reviews, I probably will not buy it. A hedge trimmer is pretty simple to operate. Squeeze the trigger and trim the hedge. Has anyone bought a Black & Decker 18-volt cordless hedge trimmer?
After you get it you should come 'round to my dooryard and lay down a clip...

Rob
Denny

Post by Denny »

Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I recently bought a 18 volt cordless B & D weed wacker. The bottom line is: I like it. It really wacks those weeds. I'm just guessing here, but I think with a step ladder it might also work well to trim your hedge. The way I see it, there is no reason to buy two machines when one will do the trick. I'm glad to be of help in this matter.
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Most hedge trimmers I've played have a wonderful, edgy, tone but they're really hard on the lips.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Denny

Post by Denny »

lips? I thought they was percussion!
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
sergiocorriero

Post by sergiocorriero »

crookedtune wrote:I see very few "definitive flute reviews" here. What I see are impressions from a lot of fluters who generally state their own experience levels and proficiency. I find it all useful.
One of the "relative" reviews is mine about Hamilton practice flute.
I've been playing guitar for 45 years, and wanting to learn whistles and flute i bought some of them in the entry level. Probably i have an ear able to understand a good or a bad sound. I think i can say something relative to my beginner level, as much as i can spend money for the instruments.. :lol:
Since i always and only see wonderful reviews about one single maker's cheap flute, and i was not so satisfied of it as a customer...i think it's a good idea to put a beginner review about a flute for beginners...how can I say? a customer review...
Forgive my many defects...I'm italian, i speak a poor english, i'm a beginner....but as a customer i think i can give a public feedback about some makers and some products i met along my way.
Just as a customer, not as a reknown musician.
Best regards...
:party:
Sergio
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Buying a 'good' flute is a large commitment - at least three and into four figures in cost, often months or years of waiting, all of which has to be decided before you even get to the point where you can tell the difference, anyway. In many places, there aren't even more experienced players around to help, or whose flutes are available to be fondled. (As it were.) No wonder newbies come here and elsewhere and ask plaintive questions. The wooden flute world demands a lot and gives away little.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Brazenkaine wrote:............ that you're flute is capable of..............
Lets take that mirror out....

yes, I guess a flute player should always strive to improve embouchure.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
mahanpots

Post by mahanpots »

After you get it you should come 'round to my dooryard and lay down a clip...

Rob
The Old Bush?
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Limestone Rock, Silver Spear
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Brazenkaine wrote:A few posters suggested sound files.
I don't think that this is the way to test a flute, the player, or anything. I want to hear straight arpeggios up to the fourth D, bending of notes in 3 octaves, and a few other drills, not someone playing a tune. One exception, I cannot remember who, but they had like more than twenty different instruments with a sound clip of the same tune. I gained respect for the low D whistle because of it.

I think I have done one review here and I stand by it without any sound clips.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
celticmodes

Post by celticmodes »

Brazenkaine wrote:A few posters suggested sound files.
I would much rather pontificate* on the virtues of my favorite flute (Reviol 6 key) and have you just take my word for it. Now I have to prove it? I would, but you see, recording equipment just can't pick up the brilliance of my technique. I've listend to it before and I sound like a hack which can't be the case. :pint:

* to speak or express opinions in a pompous or dogmatic way
celticmodes
[Reviol 8 key | Oz Vambrace | Dusty Strings Ravenna | Luna Trinity Parlor]
chas

Post by chas »

mahanpots wrote:I'm thinking of buying a particular cordless hedge trimmer, but before I spend the money I will search the internet for reviews of the product. If I find a lot of negative reviews, I probably will not buy it. A hedge trimmer is pretty simple to operate. Squeeze the trigger and trim the hedge. Has anyone bought a Black & Decker 18-volt cordless hedge trimmer?
In the spirit of my "stupid stupid stupid" posts regarding myself: When I was about 15 or 16, I worked for an elderly woman, doing cleaning, gardening, etc. Her house was right on the water, and occasionally people would ask me for directions if I was out working. One day a guy asked me when I was trimming the hedges (with a Black and Decker trimmer, so it's on topic, although those were the days before cordless trimmers). I pointed the way. With the hedge trimmer on. And my shoulder in the way. It was one of those really cool wounds (actually, four of them), where you see the white of the flesh and really thick blood just kind of oozes into the wounds. A little hurt, no pain.

So be careful with that hedge trimmer, no talking with your hands while it's on. ;)
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Clearly, this is much more the sort of considered review we need:
chris_coreline wrote:it also looked shiney.
:thumbsup:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=51817&p=949303#p949303
Mark