No Whistles At the Ballet

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

No Whistles At the Ballet

Post by PhilO »

I attended my first ballet the other night, courtesy of my daughter - The Nutcracker at Lincoln Center. I'm sort of in the middle of that beer/football - artsy/fartsy continuum (right about at wine/baseball) and wasn't sure whether I'd appreciate it. Well after the first 15 minutes or so when considering whether to sleep or hurl myself from the balconey, I really enjoyed it, especially the music, Tscaichovsky (I'm not leaving to look up the spelling); but alas no whistles in the orchestra pit.

Happy Holiday Season to All,

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: No Whistles At the Ballet

Post by s1m0n »

Most productions of the Nutcracker have to be designed to also keep an enraptured 7 year old's easy-to-bore five year old little brother's attention.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
squidgirl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by squidgirl »

PhilO wrote:Well after the first 15 minutes or so when considering whether to sleep or hurl myself from the balconey, I really enjoyed it[,
:lol: :lol: :lol: I have to admit, many of the "Art" experiences I remember with appreciation have begun with exactly this reaction! I think it's the grinding sound of my mind laboriously shifting gears...
cephalopods => weirdly intelligent
MusicalADD

Post by MusicalADD »

Oh, phew -- when I saw the topic title, I thought it meant that security had confiscated your whistle on entry!
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

The security was not that robust - a lovely elderly gentleman and a young lady looking in ladies' bags with a little flashlight...

Philo

I should note that once long ago I did have to play my way through airport security (I had several whistles in my carry on) and this was ok as "poor playing" is a lesser charge than terrorism...
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

I like going to symphonies and plays and that kind of stuff. I avoid Major League Sports. I received Nutcracker tickets from my friends a long time ago. My wife was thrilled. If I ever have to go see the Nutcracker again, I will schedule an appointment beforehand to have my eyes plucked out and my ear drums pierced by railroad spikes.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
RainInEden_K

Post by RainInEden_K »

Safe to say I am the artsy type, but I understand how some of the arts can be a bit hard to adjust to. Very much like moving from easy to drink Rieslings to a dramatic Old Vine Zinfandel, takes some time to appreciate something more dramatic, but the journey getting there is filled with great steps and the end result is the ability to appreciate it all. Sounds like you are most of the way there. And the Nutcracker is a great starter.
RainInEden
http://www.rainineden.com
Silk Road Music
Tokyo, Japan
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

No whistle in Erwartung either. Trust me.

Anyone see the Nutcracker with sets by Maurice Sendak (Where the Wild Things Are)? Scared the poop outa me when I was a kid.

Lotsa whistling in Mozart's Magic Flute, but it's fipple-synched.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

My sister didn't have enough cranberries for the Nut Roast and replaced them with plums. She was worried that plums were not Christmassy. "Sugar-Plum Fairy" I reminded her. She still looked doubtful. "Plum Pudding with brandy," I suggested, and she accepted that.

I like ballet. I took a bunch of people to see Coppelia, some years back. My wife was disgusted at the balletic gesture used to indicate beauty. "Why can't they just say it?" she grumbled. Maybe she missed the point.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
squidgirl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by squidgirl »

Chiffed wrote:Anyone see the Nutcracker with sets by Maurice Sendak (Where the Wild Things Are)? Scared the poop outa me when I was a kid.
Ooh, I'd love to see that!
cephalopods => weirdly intelligent
riverman

Post by riverman »

mutepointe wrote:I like going to symphonies and plays and that kind of stuff. I avoid Major League Sports. I received Nutcracker tickets from my friends a long time ago. My wife was thrilled. If I ever have to go see the Nutcracker again, I will schedule an appointment beforehand to have my eyes plucked out and my ear drums pierced by railroad spikes.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

I do enjoy classical music, but opera and ballet are lost on me. For some reason, the production doesn't jive with me and leaves me unmoved. It especially grates on my nerves when the sopranos screech and warble over a whole tone. I think the only opera I have enjoyed is "Old Man River".

Maybe it's because they require different combinations of skills that just don't appeal to me, even though I enjoy singing and dancing by themselves.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Before you have to go see this abomination again, I'll see if there is a two-fer sale on eye gouging and ear drum piercing anywhere.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦