Are Water Weasels Dishwasher Safe?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
colomon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Subject line pretty much says it all. I've been wondering about this for a while, but I've just discovered my A smells like it spent too long in a smoky pub.

The PVC body ought to be, I reckon, but I wonder about the glue in the head. Does anyone know for sure?
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

No I don't know, but I sure wouldn't do it.
A few weeks ago my WWs started smelling
awful, this after three or four years
of being played. I soaked them over night in warm water plus
Lysol deodorizing cleaner. Good as
new.
colomon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Is it safe to play once it's been soaked in Lysol?
DrGiggles
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by DrGiggles »

Y'know, it's not the water that would bother me about putting it in the dishwasher; it's the banging around and harsh detergents. I don't know about your dishwashers, but mine is pretty violent inside. Crystal and Glasses with stems stay out of it altogether.

If you really need to clean your water weasel, I'd say use some vodka (or whatever spirits you prefer... nothing foo-foo). Or, if you prefer to be more conventional, a MILD detergent and warm water... by hand. :smile:

My 2 cents,
Frank
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Yes, it's safe. You rinse the whistle
thoroughly afterwards,of course. My
whistles were in a very bad state,
however; dish soap or liquid soap
would probably do as well.
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

I'd say use some vodka (or whatever spirits you prefer... nothing foo-foo).
So you drink the vodka, then play the whistle? That way some of the alcoholic fumes still in your mouth should go into the whistle, thereby cleaning it...? Sounds good to me, although I might substitute whisky for vodka. :smile:

Cheers,
Jens

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jens_Hoppe on 2001-10-26 03:51 ]</font>
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Coloured spirits like whisky are more likely to leave your whistle with a hangover in the morning, though a smooth single malt should be OK.

It would be safer to stick to clear spirits. Vodka, Gin or Bacardi Rum would fit the bill. But never mix your drinks.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing