I need help fast! (please)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Rachelellen
antispam: No

I need help fast! (please)

Post by Rachelellen »

Hello everyone,

I'm a professional flutist who has never played the penny whistle. I play a traditional silver flute. Alas, I'm playing flute in a concert that requires me to double on the penny whistle for a short Irish jig (in 10 days!!) I'd like to know what I should buy. The jig is in the key of G and if I understand correctly, I should be able to accomplish this on a D whistle. But, it needs to produce a C natural. I need advice on what I can get that would work. I think my local music store may have the Clark D whistle so is this a good choice?

I just found out I'll have to play the whistle, hence the panic. However, I've wanted to get a whistle for awhile and now is as good a time as any. Many, many thanks in advance.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: I need help fast! (please)

Post by MTGuru »

Hi, and welcome. We'd need to know the actual tune (jig) you plan to play to say with certainly what would work. But yes, in general a D whistle is commonly used to play G tunes, and traditional G tunes from the Irish wind repertoire will fit in the range of a D whistle. C naturals are played by either cross-fingering, or by half-holing the top hole. The lowest note is D (there's no C foot).

As for the whistle ... We'd need to know the setting: amplified or not, large venue or small, accompanied or not.

Clarke make 2 types of D (and C) whistle: the Original, and the Sweetone/Meg.

The Original is a single piece, and non-tunable. If you're playing with accompaniment, that can be an issue. The tone is breathy with low backpressure, and not as loud or penetrating as some other whistles, which may be a problem in a larger venue.

The Sweetone/Meg is 2 piece, and can be tuned to a degree if you can move the head. The tone is clearer and a bit louder. Some are reported to have intonation issues. They're available in black and natural colors, but stores sometimes have them only in garish primary colors.

Other non-local inexpensive and reliable choices available to you might be:

o A tweaked whistle from Jerry Freeman. His Mellow Dog or "GenDog" might be a good all-around choice. 2 day USPS priority shipping standard. Contact info in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=72587

o A Dixon Trad D from someplace like Hobgoblin Music or Whistle & Drum.

o A Susato Kildare D whistle directly from Kelischek

You can ask for expedited shipping, and have them in 1 or 2 days. The Freeman and Susato are fairly loud and louder; the Dixon has a quieter voice. All are tunable.

Good luck!
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Good advice, but I wonder if there is a local shop in her area that carries an Oak or a Generation. She needs to get this whistle soon so she can practice. I agree with being wary of Clarks. If she orders, she can always buy the Clark anyway, practice on it until the other arrives, then switch.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

If she lives in the Cleveland are, I'd let her borrow.
Denny

Post by Denny »

I'd guess South Carolina.

Oconee isn't too common a word.
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
cboody

Post by cboody »

Don't buy a Clark or anything else that can not be tuned. Some of them are nice whistles, but I'm assuming you'll be playing with others where the pitch level will need to be matched. You can get a Susato D direct from http://www.susato.com/konakart/Welcome.do quite rapidly if you can't find one locally, or at some web site.. Susato makes tunable and non tunable so be sure you get the right one. You can spend more for a whistle but the Susato will be a satisfactory whistle for a long time. There are other whistles that are good, but this is a quickly available one that will satisfy in your rush.

C natural is fingered OXX OOO (X is finger down) Some whistles will need a finger or two down on the lower hand to bring it into tune. You've already got the motion down from the flute so it should not be a problem
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

where are you?
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Rachelellen wrote: ......

I'm a professional flutist who has never played the penny whistle. I play a traditional silver flute. Alas, I'm playing flute in a concert that requires me to double on the penny whistle for a short Irish jig (in 10 days!!) I'd like to know
What I'd like to know is who was the professional who required a concert flautist to double on a tin whistle with 10 days notice? I know ten and tin look similar but thats not relevant.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
whistlegal
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by whistlegal »

Hi Rachelellen,

I have a tunable Susato D that I'm not using right now. I'd be happy to lend it to you. If you can pm me your address, I could send it to you tomorrow. As long as you are located here in the states, you'd have it in plenty of time. You might want to pick up the one at your local music store to practice on for now.
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

Hmmm.......

Get a real whistle player to join you!

He or she will be able to play the jig and you can concentrate on the flute playing ;-)

C nat = OXXOOO or OXXXOO or OXOXXX or OXXOXO or %OOOOO (ie half-hole the top tonehole and bring the C nat in tune by using your ear.....gives a very trad Irish slurred effect)

Boyd

....nobody said this would be easy......

crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

boyd wrote:Hmmm.......

He or she will be able to play the jig and you can concentrate on the flute playing ;-)
I tend to agree. I mean if it's just background music in church or a nursing home, that's one thing. If this is a real concert, and you're not a whistler, I wouldn't take it on. The tin whistle is a "real" instrument, and can't be learned in ten days.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

crookedtune wrote:
boyd wrote:Hmmm.......

I tend to agree. I mean if it's just background music in church or a nursing home, that's one thing. If this is a real concert, and you're not a whistler, I wouldn't take it on. The tin whistle is a "real" instrument, and can't be learned in ten days.
I agree with this. Even in my heyday of playing tenor sax (which has extremely similar fingering to a whistle) in a symphonic band, I'd be hard pressed to do this. Mastering the breath control is one thing, but learning the right ornamentation to make it sound authentic would have been a completely different beast. At least, for me. I know the learning curve is not as steep for some as it is for me! :oops:
I'd be very interested to hear a follow-up to this when all is said and done.
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

More than can be learned in ten days, but a great resource: http://www.rogermillington.com/siamsa/brosteve/
There's even a page specifically on jigs.
Rachelellen

Post by Rachelellen »

I'd like to thank everyone for the great advice about how to start on the whistle. I'm getting a Mellow Dog whistle; It should be here on Wednesday. I especially appreciate the detailed and encouraging responses I received from a few of you. I'm definitely using some of that advice. It's nice to have a community of folks to share what they love. Thanks to all!!
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Rachelellen wrote: ..... I especially appreciate the detailed and encouraging responses I received from a few of you.
Thats getting very precise I'd say. You will do well with whistle.
:D
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit