And yet another pipemaker...

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
carel
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: And yet another pipemaker...

Post by carel »

Ok
but i remember you have a williams set
isn't it?
Carel
Evertjan 't Hart
antispam: No

Post by Evertjan 't Hart »

rorybbellows wrote:
Evertjan 't Hart wrote: After that you decide what you like to improve like tuning, response, sound, harmonics, stability.

Evertjan
Sounds like a long precess,so say you wanted to improve the response or the stability what would you have to do ?

RORY
It's always a combination of reed and bore but for response and stability first of all you'll have to look at your reed design.
The wider the better the width of my reeds is 13.7 mm, it's like all woodwind the more 'wood' on the reed the better the stability.
I don't know if you make pipes yourself but if you do is it based on a Rowsome?
Most Rowsome chanters are much happier to play A around 450 so if you want 440 for your A you'll have to make the bore a bit longer to start with. All tone holes will shift accordingly so will the sweet spots. All 'normal' problems suddenly can be solved like the E problem, hard and soft D are suddenly in tune ect,

Cheers,
Evertjan
Evertjan 't Hart

carel wrote:Ok
but i remember you have a williams set
isn't it?
Carel
Only a Williams chanter Carel,

Evertjan
pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Evertjan 't Hart wrote: First you spend a few years learning to make reeds, Then you take a chanter you like more or less and copy it.
After that you decide what you like to improve like tuning, response, sound, harmonics, stability.
Very interesting, a "reed first" approach: learn to make a reed, then design a chanter around it.

Seems that some makers take a "chanter first" approach: take a fine-playing chanter (by Rowsome or whomever) and copy it as exactly as possible... then learn to make the right reed for it, the assumption being that it's a good chanter so the right reed must be possible to make. Rowsome must have been able to make a good reed for it, or he wouldn't have made the chanter like he did.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

pancelticpiper wrote:
Evertjan 't Hart wrote: First you spend a few years learning to make reeds, Then you take a chanter you like more or less and copy it.
After that you decide what you like to improve like tuning, response, sound, harmonics, stability.
Very interesting, a "reed first" approach: learn to make a reed, then design a chanter around it.

Seems that some makers take a "chanter first" approach: take a fine-playing chanter (by Rowsome or whomever) and copy it as exactly as possible... then learn to make the right reed for it, the assumption being that it's a good chanter so the right reed must be possible to make. Rowsome must have been able to make a good reed for it, or he wouldn't have made the chanter like he did.
This is Brian Howard's approach and his reed/chanter combination is unbelievably reliable. I have a V-SAM tuner that measures just intonation instruments very accurately and you can take one of his off-the-shelf reeds, pop it in, and after moving it in or out a bit get it spot on for every note. Another thing is that his reed/chanter combination is reliable under various weather conditions. I travel around a bit and have gone from the US mid-Atlantic region to, say, Germany and the chanter works there as well as it did in Baltimore. It is truly amazing.
Evertjan 't Hart

pancelticpiper wrote: Very interesting, a "reed first" approach: learn to make a reed, then design a chanter around it.
Yes but what I meant was you must be a good reedmaker first before you take the next step.
I don't think it's very smart to design/make a chanter to fit a reed...
Anyway, just to be clear

Cheers,
Evertjan
Marcelo Muttis

Post by Marcelo Muttis »

Lovely... , lovely work Evertjan, specially the keys. Thank you very much for being my first reedmaking tutor!!
Thanks God for the opposite thumb.
Philipp

Post by Philipp »

Thanks for posting the mp3 file. Lovely sound!

Cheers,
Phil
Elmek

Post by Elmek »

Nice looking pipes

Similar set here from a display in 2007 - is it yours ?

I like the way the keys are proportioned - bigger touches on the bass and what I assume is a contra bass.

Steve Pribyl

Post by Steve Pribyl »

Congratulations on your decision to make pipes full time. May it be a personally fulfilling, and hopefully prosperous, endeavor. :thumbsup:
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Wow! Beautiful! Congratulations, and best of luck. :party:
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Mike Hulme
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mike Hulme »

The 4 reg set a few posts up is actually by Chris Bayley. I was playing it at the Festival and it generated a lot of interest. Unfortunately it already belonged to someone who was very keen to get his hands on it.
Mike

“Si fractum non sit, noli id refere”

http://www.uilleannpipesuk.org
Eric F.

Post by Eric F. »

Wery nice looking pipes :thumbsup: I am realy happy to see finaly again new maker with beautiful regulators keywork up to my taste. I almoust thought nobody will follow Dave Williams great taste for asthetics :)
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

If I remember correctly Dave Williams had his keys cast. The ones that Evertjan make look like they are also cast.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Evertjan 't Hart

rorybbellows wrote:If I remember correctly Dave Williams had his keys cast. The ones that Evertjan make look like they are also cast.

RORY
No casting it's all done by hand. It's a lot more work but I don't like cast keys or better yet I don't like the firescaling you get when you cast brass.

Evertjan