Thanksgiving foods you could do without

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Thanksgiving foods you could do without

Post by brewerpaul »

We all have our favorites, but some people keep making Thanksgiving foods that some of us are not all that crazy about. Care to share your non-favorites?

We have a friend who insists on bringing the ol' green bean casserole made with canned green beans,canned cream of mushroom soup and french fried onion rings, also canned. To me, all that canned stuff is sort of gross. Now, made with fresh beans, I might like it a whole lot more but as it is I generally pass on it.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
rebl_rn

Re: Thanksgiving foods you could do without

Post by rebl_rn »

I know this is probably heresy, but I don't really care at all for pumpkin pie. I like pumpkin bread, pumpkin squares, and roasted pumpkin seeds, but pumpkin pie just doesn't do it for me. Fortunately we always have at least one other dessert.
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

If you take the trouble to make pumpkin pie from real pumpkins rather than canned, it's a whole other thing, and very tasty
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

This time of year the grocery stores also stock pumpkin ice cream. My wife buys it, but it's not one of my favorites. After listening to Praire Home Companion for years, I see that Garrison Keillor always gets a laugh when he describes what the women bring to the church dinners. He always mentions the hot dish made with cream of mushroom soup, definately not very appealing to me, too salty, for one thing.
MusicalADD

Post by MusicalADD »

For me it's the mashed squash. It just reminds me of the worst variety of baby food.

Pumpkin pie I will gladly consume, even the canned variety.
mamakash
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mamakash »

MusicalADD wrote:For me it's the mashed squash. It just reminds me of the worst variety of baby food.

I don't like the taste, either. Something about the texture. Even if it's not mashed, it too soft and sweet for me.
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
tansy

Post by tansy »

football! :devil:
shy the blond water
dwest

Post by dwest »

tansy wrote:football! :devil:
Excepting Green Bay I assume.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Sweet potatoes with marshmallows and/or brown sugar. Sweet potatoes DON'T NEED MARSHMALLOWS OR BROWN SUGAR. It's like spraying cheap perfume on a rose. Butter. Just butter. :swear:

Get it? Got it? Good. :really:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
dwest

Post by dwest »

Nanohedron wrote:Sweet potatoes with marshmallows and/or brown sugar. Sweet potatoes DON'T NEED MARSHMALLOWS OR BROWN SUGAR. It's like spraying cheap perfume on a rose. Butter. Just butter. :swear:

Get it? Got it? Good. :really:
Some of us don't even need no butter! :tantrum:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Yes, I admit I'm a decadent fop when it comes to butter on my sweet potatoes. But even I know that you have to draw the line somewhere. Marshmallows. Ack. Pfftht. Glurg.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Pumpkin anything. Cucumbers are the only edible gourd.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

So, no watermelon or honeydew for s1m0n?
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

I'll side with Paul on the canned green bean casserole and add deviled eggs and all manner of turkey weirdness to the list . . . injected turkey, brined turkey, deep-fried turkey, you name it. There is something to be said for a roasted, all-natural turkey. Smoked turkey is good, but only on sandwiches.

Three other apparently traditional family favorites I've encountered and rejected were a mashed potato salad composed of potatoes held together with mayonnaise-like salad dressing, molded into a gargantuan lump using a dishpan and solidly covered with paprika; a crockpot of miniature sausages in ketchup and grape jelly; and a lasagna-esque casserole of baked beans layered with mostly raw bacon.

I could do without those white rolls sold in big bags, too.

Oh, I nearly forgot . . . canned jellied cranberry sauce. Urgh!
Cotelette d'Agneau
chas

Post by chas »

mamakash wrote:
MusicalADD wrote:For me it's the mashed squash. It just reminds me of the worst variety of baby food.

I don't like the taste, either. Something about the texture. Even if it's not mashed, it too soft and sweet for me.
The key is sausage. The past several years, I've made this sort-of casserole thing that has squash, diced apples, sausage (cooked till crispy, then drained of at least some of the fat), all mixed together, then topped with brown sugar and butter. Baked till the top is crisped.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.