What's your current 'weapon' of choice?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
JayDoc

Re: What's your current 'weapon' of choice?

Post by JayDoc »

I hope this isn't off topic, but as pretty much a newbie, one thing that struck me from this fascinating thread is how many play keyed flutes. I was under the impression (again, as a naive) that most Irish music players don't need keys or use them much. I'm gathering that's not an accurate impression (unless lots of folks on this forum play other types of material, which I guess is a strong possibility too). Yikes...I've got alot more work ahead of me than I thought!
Jay(not really an ignoramous, in spite of himself)doc
toughknot
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by toughknot »

Copely & Boegli blackwood keyless slideless D.
I shall never bitter be so long as I can laugh at me.
mkchen

Post by mkchen »

M&E R&R 8-key in ebonite

M&E "standard" 5-key polymer (I'll be selling this one off soon, though)

Tipple 3-piece D with wedge, no lip plate

Artley student model Boehm (that I picked up for $25 as a college student and used to teach myself to play flute - it's just collecting dust now)

In response to JayDoc's post above, while the majority of tunes one is likely to come across in a typical session can be played on a keyless, there are still TONS of great tunes that are way more satisfying to play, or can only be played, on a keyed flute or other chromatic instrument.
dwilbur3
antispam: No

Post by dwilbur3 »

JayDoc wrote:I hope this isn't off topic, but as pretty much a newbie, one thing that struck me from this fascinating thread is how many play keyed flutes. I was under the impression (again, as a naive) that most Irish music players don't need keys or use them much. I'm gathering that's not an accurate impression (unless lots of folks on this forum play other types of material, which I guess is a strong possibility too). Yikes...I've got alot more work ahead of me than I thought!
A six holed flute can only be played well in a few keys; on a D flute that would be D, G, A and maybe C (I'm talking majors here). (Even A and C can be a challenge if there are two many of the wrong notes). So flutes in different keys are much easier without keys. Even WITH keys large numbers of sharps/flats are a bit difficult. It's easier to play an F# flute than it is to play a D flute with 6 or 8 keys in F#.

Most ITM is in D or G so one flute with or without keys works great for the vast majority of that genre. But if you have to play a tune or two in F or Bb it's nice to have an F flute to help out.

Just my highly over priced 2 cents.
dontf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by dontf »

a Terry McGee six key Pratten
a Terry McGee large holed RR in delrin
Tipple F
all my whistles are by John Sindt
huffin' and puffin'
hans
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

Dominic Allan blackwood 8-key D
Dominic Allan blackwood keyless Eb
Thomas Aebi blackwood keyless Bb
Selfmade PVC keyless D and C
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

JayDoc wrote:I hope this isn't off topic, but as pretty much a newbie, one thing that struck me from this fascinating thread is how many play keyed flutes. I was under the impression (again, as a naive) that most Irish music players don't need keys or use them much. I'm gathering that's not an accurate impression (unless lots of folks on this forum play other types of material, which I guess is a strong possibility too). Yikes...I've got alot more work ahead of me than I thought!
There wasn't any choice when some of the antique flutes came along. My Wylde has 8 keys. And Holmes-McNaughton flutes are only available fully keyed.

But yeah, a lot of folks play other genres of music and are prepared.
Last edited by kkrell on Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

Murray boxwood, 6 keys

I will never need another flute.
Holmes

Post by Holmes »

I wouldn't make a flute with less than 6 keys, preferably 8!. Lots of trad. musicians use the keys, Look at Cathal King (Mac an ri) on youtube. Search; Tara Breen, King they do a wonderful version of The Beeswing in Bb, flute and fiddle. There are loads of other examples too. There is nothing wrong with the tunes in the home keys but you really have not scratched the surface until you've at least attempted to step out. (just a little).

I've been in many sessions in Ireland when the flute players just stop when the fiddles go to C or F! - Not necessary on a keyed flute - just keep going. Why would you want to restrict yourself? (it's good for flute makers as a keyless flute can be made in a day or two, a keyed flute takes a lot longer to make).

H

(p.s. search Holmes flute, on youtbe for further examples)

Music is the real way of speaking, everything else is just filling in. (between gigs)
Alan Plater Misterioso
Save your hot air for blowing down your flute
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Keys are useful. Tunes with Fnat, G#, and I play at least 3 tunes with D#/Eb are much easier on a keyed flute. Slow aires with keys are much better - trying to do a D# or hold a G#/Bb/Fnat on a keyless flute - well, they usually don't sound as good (although some players do a remarkable job at it).

Plus, classical, ragtime, and other tunes - rather hard to play with a keyless, especially if you're playing with someone else, but on a keyed flute it's a snap.

However, keys will not automatically allow you to play the Catharsis reel perfectly...as far as I can tell, only hours and hours of practice (along with keys) will allow you to play this tune.

Eric
Chris The Wakes

Post by Chris The Wakes »

Holmes wrote:I've been in many sessions in Ireland when the flute players just stop when the fiddles go to C or F! - Not necessary on a keyed flute - just keep going. Why would you want to restrict yourself? (it's good for flute makers as a keyless flute can be made in a day or two, a keyed flute takes a lot longer to make).

Music is the real way of speaking, everything else is just filling in. (between gigs)
Alan Plater Misterioso

Well said!!! :thumbsup:
Latticino

Post by Latticino »

Ward Blackwood Hawkes keyless D
Seery Delrin Pratten keyless D (travel flute)
Sindt d whistle

These are great instruments and I have a long way before I get good enough to justify ownership. Still, as others have said, life is too short to play poor quality instruments (I know, I've taken a stab at playing both a pakistan chair leg and an Empire ebonite monstrosity).

Hopefully I'll get the repairs on my project 6-key, short foot, Metzler done soon and can start to learn what to do with keys.

Also have other whistles, including an old Generation that got lost in a box for ~30 years, a Burke Low D AL Viper (that I'll probably sell sometime now that I'm concentrating on flute), and a classic Clark C, that I now like since developing better breath control from flute playing.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Steven Wright

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
Baron Munchausen
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I use a C nat key a lot, however a thumb hole works as well or better for me and costs just 25 dollars.
Other keys are nice to have, helpful, beautiful but, truth be told, I often play keyless flutes
and don't miss keys when I do. Also by now I can half hole and,
needs be, cross finger well enough to deal with the rare notes in question; keys are better still
but I can play the notes OK and of course these things get better with practice.

You can get a fine keyless flute for a third of the price of a six or eight keyed
flute, and use the money to buy flutes in other keys, which will play in those keys
more easily and will have their own distinctive and beautiful voice.

No question that keys are nice to have and I do have a keyed flute. But I hardly need it.
Maybe if I got better I would need it. I've been impressed by flute greats like Mike R
choosing to play keyless flutes in performance settings. Also the great care and love
with which many flutesmyths make keyless flutes. Maybe one day if I get
really good I'll need keys. Of course I'm mostly playing ITM and American fiddle tunes.

So (my 2 cents) keys are good to have but, for a good while, not something one needs to have.
Perhaps I'm just scratching the surface, but that depends on where one thinks the
deep water lies. For me, seven years in, I've just begun to grasp the depth of
'simple' tunes.
Last edited by jim stone on Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
FromFlanders

Post by FromFlanders »

Lejeune keyless blackwood
Hamilton practice flute for rough terrain
McCrusty 8 key ( currently restoring)

Incidentally there are a couple of Lejeunes for sale in the London shop ALLFLUTESPLUS. One Rudall and one of his own design( like mine) a large holed beauty. I'd have loved to have the Rudall to go with mine but no dough! About five and a half hundred pounds.
FF
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Keys are fine if you can afford it. Yet many (if not most) players rarely use their keys and play the vast majority of the time using the six open holes. Some top players use keyless flutes, Brian Finnegan plays a keyless Doyle flute, for instance.

Get a keyless and you'll have many many possibilities and things to work on that will last you a long long time.