ULSTER

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Without looking up reference material, please pick what you consider is the correct option:-

Poll ended at Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:40 pm

Ulster is an Irish province which is wholly in the country of Northern Ireland.
18%
Ulster is an Irish province wholly in the Republic of Ireland.
9%
neither of the above.
74%

Total votes: 34

dwest

Re: ULSTER

Post by dwest »

MTGuru wrote:
dwest wrote:I'll see that and raise you Donegal, Cavan, plus Sligo, Leitrim, and Limmerick.
I could raise you a Veracruz, Guanajuato, and Queretaro from the other side of my family. But something tells me that wouldn't help my cause.
I wouldn't know, but ya got better food fer sure.
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Most of us seem to be getting it right. I doubt the general public would do as well.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

over 230 lookins and only 32 participants so far.
whats with the lurkers?
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

talasiga wrote:over 230 lookins and only 32 participants so far.
whats with the lurkers?
The total pageviews (230) does not mean 230 individuals. If you read page 1, do the survey, go to page 2, write a reply & post it, you just racked up 4 clicks. If you come back later to see how the thread is doing, you'll log a few more. 230 views among 32 participants comes to just over 7 pageviews each, which looks about right to me.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
chris_coreline
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by chris_coreline »

Innocent Bystander wrote:I'd just like to say, that since I was born and raised in Norn Iron, that I know the answer to this one.
being born and raised in Norn Iron im not suppised to say that i DIDNT know the answer.
and, that said; given the number and nationality of state officials i saw during my time there, northern ireland is an outlying state of america :P
bloddy politics.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Hello folks. Thanks for taking part. The poll is finsished now. Thanks for the snapshot.
Its OK to discuss your knowledge about this if you wish to now.

I'll start off by saying that what I think is the right understanding is supported by the first two paragraphs
in this wikipedia article.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Only six of the counties that form the Irish province of Ulster are in Northern Ireland. These are Tyrone (Tír Eoghain), Derry (Doire Cholm Cille), Antrim (Aontroim), Down (An Dún), Armagh (Ard Macha) and Fermanagh (Fear Manach).

County Donegal (Dún na nGall), County Monaghan (Muineachán) and County Cavan (An Cabhán) are also part of the province of Ulster, but they are in the Republic of Ireland. Which prompts the joke:

Where is the northernmost part of Ireland? In the South (Ireland's northernmost point being in Donegal).

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

whats with the lurkers?

Hmmmmmm...... :-? not a clue here.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Tommy wrote:
whats with the lurkers?

Hmmmmmm...... :-? not a clue here.

Look four posts up and you'll see the answer.

Redwolf
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Redwolf wrote:Only six of the counties that form the Irish province of Ulster are in Northern Ireland. These are Tyrone (Tír Eoghain), Derry (Doire Cholm Cille), Antrim (Aontroim), Down (An Dún), Armagh (Ard Macha) and Fermanagh (Fear Manach).

County Donegal (Dún na nGall), County Monaghan (Muineachán) and County Cavan (An Cabhán) are also part of the province of Ulster, but they are in the Republic of Ireland. Which prompts the joke:

Where is the northernmost part of Ireland? In the South (Ireland's northernmost point being in Donegal).

Redwolf
As Redwolf says. My Mother-in-law's people are from Cavan. (my wife's people are from Manchester.)

There's a passage in Brendan Behan's "Borstal Boy" which strikes me as typically Irish. While in custody, waiting to go to Borstal, BB makes friends with a warden, who remarks that these IRA men don't even know which the six counties are. He quizzes BB, who can only come up with five. The warden is vindicated. BB adds "I left out Fermanagh, for he was a nice old boy."
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

For some reason, whenever I have to name the six counties (someone in the class inevitably asks which counties are in Northern Ireland), I always forget one. And it's not even the same one! I'll name one through five, then draw a blank and have to look one up! This time it was poor Fermanagh. :lol:

FWIW, the same thing happens if I try to name the seven dwarfs or the Ten Commandments.

Redwolf
chris_coreline
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by chris_coreline »

theres a song about the six counties:

Derry, Antrim, and Down.
Fermannaga, Armagh and Tyrone.
somthing somthig somthight
somthing somthing somthing
and everyone proud of there own.

if you know the song you tend not to forget the six counties - my granney sings it, also i have seen it printed on decorative tourist-trap tea-towels. though i know donegal is also in there and i allwayse forget the other one. Its across the border from Eniskillen isnt it? I refuse to check the rest of the thread as im highlighting my lack of knowlage and to proove a point that Northern Ireland is a very silly place.
Innocent Bystander

chris_coreline wrote:theres a song about the six counties:

Derry, Antrim, and Down.
Fermannaga, Armagh and Tyrone.
somthing somthig somthight
somthing somthing somthing
and everyone proud of there own.

if you know the song you tend not to forget the six counties - my granney sings it, also i have seen it printed on decorative tourist-trap tea-towels. though i know donegal is also in there and i allwayse forget the other one. Its across the border from Eniskillen isnt it? I refuse to check the rest of the thread as im highlighting my lack of knowlage and to proove a point that Northern Ireland is a very silly place.

<runs for cover>
Innocent Bystander

Actually, I think that having a place called "Belfast" in Maine is pretty silly...
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Redwolf wrote:For some reason, whenever I have to name the six counties (someone in the class inevitably asks which counties are in Northern Ireland), I always forget one. And it's not even the same one! I'll name one through five, then draw a blank and have to look one up! This time it was poor Fermanagh. :lol:

FWIW, the same thing happens if I try to name the seven dwarfs or the Ten Commandments.

Redwolf

FAT DAD.

or as some would have it...FAT LAD.

Slan,
D. :wink:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats