Does anyone else have Fragrance Acquisition Disorder?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
mamakash
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Does anyone else have Fragrance Acquisition Disorder?

Post by mamakash »

Just wondering if anyone on the board suffers from the same kind of uncontrolled spending of scented candles, fragrance oil and the various accessories that go with them. It's a good time of year for it . . . and it's cooling down enough to enjoy spice, pumpkin, leaves, cinnamon and cloves. It's just as bad as WHOA, maybe worse. I end up buying more than I need. There's a sick pleasure in coming out of Yankee Candle or Bath and Body Works with a bag full of loot . . . I can't stand to wear perfume but I love putting the oil warmer on in the evening.

Vanilla Bean Noel fragrance oil from BBW . . . Wow! :)
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
crookedtune
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Does anyone else have Fragrance Acquisition Disorder?

Post by crookedtune »

A failed business venture in my past involved such things. They no longer give me the warm fuzzies. :sniffle:
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
emmline

Post by emmline »

No, I tend not to accessorize, whether it be myself, the house, the air...I think I'm just boring that way.
Although I will confess to acquiring, within the past 3 years, a couple of small candles from Whole Foods--most notably Mexican Cinnamon Cocoa. I usually don't think to burn them though.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Nope. Just one more thing to acquire. Not going to do it. In the event that something in the house smells bad and people are coming over, we just put a few drops of already owned patchouli on a lightbulb or boil some clove, cinammon, & orange peel on the stove quickly.

(Don't bother bad mouthing patchouli. Your comments are falling on deaf ears. I'm a hippie. It's a requirement.)
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I'm the guy who can't stay in a boutiqu-y store with too much potpourri - I get smoked out.

Once upon a time at xmas in America, we had bayberry candles. I liked those, then everybody went nuts. I do like Yankee Candles to a point, particularly their apple ones, But the imitators sure don't match up.

Cinnamon is great, but I feel a bit put out if I don't get something to drink along with it (like cider and such)...
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
dwest

Post by dwest »

When I was coming up we had a candle factory in town and they hired local women to decorate their candles at home for a couple of pennies a piece. They supplied all the materials. I still have about ten pounds of glitter my mother-in-law had from when she worked for them. I've been afraid to toss it for fear it's toxic, ya wouldn't believe the amount of lead paint they would use on those things. I imagine they have probably stopped that, right? I think the factory was Carolina, sorta funny being in Wisconsin.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

I have an oil burner which gets a candle from time to time....

Can't resist this though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPXVGQnJm0w
Ah well..

Slan,
D. :really:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

mamakash wrote:Just wondering if anyone on the board suffers from the same kind of uncontrolled spending of scented candles, fragrance oil and the various accessories that go with them.

Vanilla Bean Noel fragrance oil from BBW . . . Wow! :)
Fortunately, I have a bit of asthma, so I'm not inclined toward the candle and scenty oil thing. However, a goodly number of BBW's lotions and such generally -- and blessedly -- do not trigger wheezing, which makes them excellent products for Christmas gifting at work. If I swamp the office with antibac hand cream, which is such good quality that no one will use anything else, I can spend the rest of the year breathing freely. It's a fine product--smells nice, but isn't overpowering. Moisturizes, but dries quickly so you don't stick to your keyboard.

You know how much that stuff costs, so I wait for those fall sales and coupons. And, as you probably already know, the more you buy the better the coupons get. You can't just buy the gifts . . . the sales and coupons kind of run over and you end up with bags and bags of stuff.

Last fall, I discovered that their Bigelow lip glosses are pretty good, as well as tasty, so I decided to give that instead of the antibac lotion. That was a mistake. "Where's the hand lotion? We're all out." So, I had to go back. More bags. This year, they have that nifty foamy antibac hand cleaner. Got a couple of bags of that. And some hand lotion.

Vanilla Bean Noel is excellent. Everyone likes the antibac version of that, but I couldn't find any last year. Had to make amends for that. More bags.

There are a couple of new holiday scents coming out which I'm dying to try. I'm hoping there will be some gingerbread again this year. Yum!
Cotelette d'Agneau
Roderick [Rod] Sprague IV

Post by Roderick [Rod] Sprague IV »

Sadly, most fragrances that are supposed to freshen things up or create ambiance give me a roaring migraine. I also associate scents with what they try to hide. Artificial fresh baby reminds me of dirty diapers. Scented products can cover up the sexy odor of a woman with good hygiene. Dryer sheets are pure evil.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Apparently regular candle use give you the same kind of lung problems as you get from regular cigarette use.

My main candle use is to defuse/diffuse the cigarette smoke when I play backgammon with my regular gaming partner - a chain-smoker.

A few weeks back we poured our own candles from a bagful of crappy wax she had saved since the flood. The candles that came out are slightly glittery and faintly but pleasantly scented.

As a pagan I should (maybe) be regularly burning candles on my home altar. I do from time to time, but mainly on special occasions, like Samhain.

Mute, I'm with you on Patchouli. I like it. As you say, it's compulsory for us.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

When I was young, I used to love fragrances from scented candles and perfumes. However, little by little I have become sensitized to many common scents. My idea of a good scent is no scent at all. I don't go into stores that have scented candles. I wait outside while my wife goes in to shop. I think that the growing incidence of asthma in the USA is due in part to the increasing use of chemicals in the environment. One whiff of Fabreeze, Lysol, or Downey and I start coughing and head for uncontaminated air to breathe.
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

If I'm in the mall (my own version of HELL), and I sense a Yankee Candle store approaching, I have to go as far around it as possible. As I get older (and my other senses fade, I fear), my olfactory sense has heightened, and I absolutely LOATHE stinky candles. It's so sensitive that the few stinky candles we have in the house which DO NOT have those little glass covers, I have to put things on top of them, or turn them upside-down when I'm close.
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I don't really like "fragrances." Most perfumes worn by people are off-putting to me and scented candles and so on typically irritate me.
Pammy

Post by Pammy »

Roderick [Rod] Sprague IV wrote: Scented products can cover up the sexy odor of a woman with good hygiene.
:shock:
Life is good!!!
Even when I am Miss Understood!!!
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Pammy wrote:
Roderick [Rod] Sprague IV wrote: Scented products can cover up the sexy odor of a woman with good hygiene.
:shock:
Well, I know what's he talkin' about anyway.... :thumbsup:

And, having just been to an Ani DiFranco concert, I know the opposite, too. :tomato:
How do you prepare for the end of the world?