Your Favorite Sessions???

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

I was just curious to know what you guys felt would be your own "Perfect Session". Such things as how many players, what type of instruments, and locations...things like a pub, dance hall, outdoors and such.

just idle curiosity really. As for myself, I think I prefer a group of about eight. Two fiddles, a whistle, a bodhrán, a piper, a guitar and perhaps a box player, or a banjo.

This seems to be the coolest sound I've heard in a group. But then again, my session experiences are limited. :smile:

B~
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Geeez Brian, that's a very good guestion, almost bordering on the metaphysical, right up there with "what is your perfect whistle?"

For sessions, I prefer pubs but then whenever and wherever a few musicians get together and play is also good. Either indoors or outdoors.

Also I have had the experience of only two musicians showing up. I on bodhran and whistles and the other on fiddle. To the exact opposite when the room look more like a practice for the Irish symphony with harps, a piano, a piper, an accordian player, whistle players, flute players, dancers, singer, two bodhran players and many fiddlers.

Each brings its own energy.

Personally I love it when the tunes just roll around the room, that it is hard to drink your pint because the tunes just keep coming and you want to play them, and when you look up the hours have slipped by un-noticed and your Guinness is really room temperature.

When you ask a question that is more phiiosophical, it almost can't be answered, with each of us having our own view of what a "perfect session is." based on experience.

I hope this helps?

Mark

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MarkB on 2001-10-25 07:12 ]</font>
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

That's exactly why I asked Mark! :wink:

I understand everyone has different tastes and so I was just curious. No right or wrong answers...

B~
jbarter
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jbarter »

When I paused to think about your question I realised that none of the sessions I've been part of where I've thought 'Wow! That was great!' were sessions I would have arranged if I had the power.
I guess a great session is just something that happens and can't be planned. Just enjoy them when they come by.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

The perfect session is more about the people and their music than about the instruments they play. There are some instruments I don't like all that much although in the hands of a sensitive person they will do anyhow. It's by the end of the day the music that comes first, not the vehicle that carries it.
Rather than a large group handing out frantic endless yards of reels I would prefer the smaller group locking in to eachoher's music, enjoying eachother's company, phrasing and feeling for the tunes.
A quiet pub will do allthough I find smoky noisy backrooms are too often filled with people that get in the way of the music. My rule is: if it gets to noisy to hear myself or the player next to me, I am out of there, there's no point wasting good music. The best music is played in the kitchen with friend and a nice pot of tea brewing on the fire.
One of the sessions I play weekly is in a large pub, we play for the sets, that's nice too, to watch the dancers having fun.

As was said above, the ideal session just happens, you can't go looking for it. And it's worse trying to describe it. Let's say you know when you are in a good one and when not.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Oh, I can take a swing at this!

My ideal session is in a bar that's cozy, but plenty of room to have your instruments, your pint, and a bit of leg room, plus as many people sitting around listening as playing (someone called them 'punters' I think). I have no problem with any number of players, but let's limit the rhythm section to 1 out of every 6 players. Make the melody players at least 4:1 to the harmony players (guitars/mandolins/etc).

I would have a hornpipe/waltz/mazurka/polka set for every two or three jig/reel sets, and make sure that for everything that is professionally fast, there is something beginning level slow. A little bit of singing is nice, as are solo sets for special times.

Lastly, I would say no smoking. I am reasonably tolerant of the odd cigarette or four, but cigar smokers are ruining my favorite session here.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

I guess i should have been a little less vauge in my first question....sorry guys.

A better question might be: What's your perfect (or favorite) session experience you've had, and why? Could you set it up again? That sort of thing.

I agree about the smoke thing. Especially for the wind folks like whistles and flutes. I also don't think I'll be taking my pipes into the pub here in town when they arrive, as I'm inclined to have them not smell like smoke forever afterwards!

To each their own...just curious as to what "your own" was.

B~
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

I guess to me the perfect session would be a bunch, or a few, or a couple of people who enjoy each others' company and love the music more than they love showing off; no competetiveness, a good mix of skill levels (patient with the beginners, tolerant of the barn-burners), with lots of tunes that we all knew.

Sigh. --sitting alone at the computer, home sick from work, not a session in sight, singing quitely--Some-WHEEEERE over the rain-BOOOOWWWW...--

Tom
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

The session I attend most Sunday afternoons takes place at members' homes, the living room or the kitchen. We have some snacks and drinks out and a pot of tea. Everyone is very friendly. There is a range of skill levels. We play some tunes fast and we slow them down on request. We don't want anyone being left out. We sometimes teach the group a new tune by playing it really slowly over and over if everyone wants to do that; everyone joins in playing at a very comfortable pace. Then someone emails everyone abc's or hands out printed music on request. Everyone has a playlist and we sometimes plan on working on certain tunes together.

One of our members suggested we record some of our better efforts and burn a Christmas gift cd. Recording expertise suddenly boiled out of the woodwork and we are making plans to do this really soon. Everyone is psyched. We're talking about group and solo/duet pieces.

There is a good variety of instruments represented. Recently a couple of more accomplished players have joined us which has upped the ante on playing some tunes a bit faster and added some new ones as well. Overall, the more fun sessions have been the ones where more people showed up. A big group for us is over 10. Last week we kind of sardined into John McCh's kitchen. (He's a C&Fer, often just lurking. Hi, John.) The joint was jumpin'.

Anyway, I'm totally satisfied with the situation in which I find myself. It's the people. I've attended the local pub session a few times and I've managed to make eye contact with a couple of other players. (Maybe they thought I was going to drink their beer.)
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
LKtz

Post by LKtz »

I would have to say the best session I ever attended was actually the first session I ever went to. It was at Teen Celtic Music Camp, and the irish dancing workshop we were suppost to have was canceled due to the fact the teacher never showed up :wink:
So people started an impomtu session. It was great. We had a great mix of musicial talent from the best of the best to umm...less so (AKA ME :smile:

~Caryn