Let's end the ignorance :)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
mandoboy

Let's end the ignorance :)

Post by mandoboy »

Ok, here is a tomato / tomaato thing.

Is Rudall pronounced like Roodall or like Rud(like mud)all?

I have heard both ways and I was just wondering what the consensus was among the well informed members of our group.

Jeff
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Let's end the ignorance :)

Post by benhall.1 »

I don't Kerr
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

How about poodle or puddle?
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Cubitt
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cubitt »

This reminds me of when composer Steve Reich was told that some people say his name "Ryshe," while others say "Rike."

"How do you say your name?" he was asked.

"I say it 'Steve'." was the answer.

(BTW, my vote goes for the "mud" pronunciation, but consider that I thought the maker of my flute, Cubitt, would be pronounced like "cub." I learned directly from his family that it pronounced "cube." So what do I know?)
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Depends on where ye at yeah?

Roo'uhl en Raows?
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Cubitt

Post by Cubitt »

Aanvil wrote:Depends on where ye at yeah?

Roo'uhl en Raows?
And leave us not forget Carrrdt.
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago »

How about Рудал?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Cubitt wrote:...I thought the maker of my flute, Cubitt, would be pronounced like "cub." I learned directly from his family that it pronounced "cube." So what do I know?)
Now I have to repronounce you, dash it all.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Well, I certainly automatically read Cubitt as "cube-it". Normal English spelling rules...... (!!!) the "i" (or an "e") following a single consonant very commonly makes the preceding vowel "say its name". Quite straightforward. There would have to be two bs - "b"b - for it to be pronounced "cub-it". The double "t" is irrelevant.

Rudall is a little less straightforward. I learnt to pronounce it "Roodall" from the first people I ever heard about the firm from - in particular a knowledgeable old flute collector whom I was lucky enough to meet (and see some of his collection) when I first started playing aged 17 - he was a retired schoolmaster in his 70s then in the mid 1970s. So far as I recall, Paul Davis (from whom I got my own R&R) also pronounced it with a long "u". Moreover, even if I just read it on a page, I would be inclined to interpret it with the long "u". Although an "a" after a single consonant would not usually change the "u" to say its name, the rest of the spelling - the "all" part suggest a longish "a" (or English neutral vowel) sound which in turn makes the longer "u" a better fit. English spelling and pronunciation of it is notoriously hard with reason! It does tend to inconsistency, but there are recognisable patterns. If the name was to be pronounced with a short "u" I think at least the "d" would have to be doubled and it would be more likely spelt "Ruddle" as in the beer company.

So, on spelling grounds, as well as acquired habit, I'm in the "Rooduhl" camp. It would have to be spelt "Ruddal" or "Ruddle" to be pronounced the other way and would not have been spelt the way it is were it intended to be pronounced with a short "u".
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Although it may be rud of me to say it, I think Jem's comments settle the issue.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Doug_Tipple wrote:Although it may be rud of me to say it, I think Jem's comments settle the issue.
Now, just how likely do you think that really is, Doug? :lol:
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
iain beag
Tell us something.: I play various instruments, Highland pipes, Border pipes, uilleann pipes, smallpipes, flute (badly) and trying to learn mandolin.

Post by iain beag »

Weel sofa sew guid, neigh arguments yett. :)
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I no nuffink. But still I disagree. [pronunciation guide: dize-ug-ree]

I have no right to. No experience in this field. And no knowledge. Oh, and I'm not making any erudite references to people who do, iver ... [as in iver ore]

Thumb to kink about it, I fink ile start a campane in supawt of ig'rnce. Help stamp owt iggerism.
mandoboy

Post by mandoboy »

Thanks Cubitt and Gem for a serious answer.

I always had heard it pronounced "Roodahl" but I recently was speaking to a famous recorded player who called it "Ruddle". I thought maybe I was incorrect in how I thought it should be pronounced.

Apparently both are used, but Roodahl is probably more correct.

Jeff
Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

Not to Ruddle the waters, but no one has mentioned my pet pronunciation so I will...

Take, for example, the name "Goodall". It's not GOOD-ull, nor gud-ALL, but rather GOOD-ALL, with an emphasis on each syllable. Why would not our venerable flute-maker be Mr. RUDD-ALL, like mudball?

Rob