The Kilfenora Jig mp3 - wav- wma

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
sponge
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: irish music, specifically slow airs played on different whistle keys, also lower keyed flutes like Bb, but only from modern makers who have managed to get the hole spacing a little closer. And finally learning some fiddle tunes, mainly slow airs again so that the whole family don't go mad with the sound of a cat being strangled.

The Kilfenora Jig mp3 - wav- wma

Post by sponge »

Hi all,

I had my first proper whistle lesson last night and I enjoyed it a lot, first tune was the Kilfenora
jig, John the teacher, played a bit and we followed, there were only two students and the lovely Irish lady picked up the follow my lead very easily and was a novice player, I on the other hand have been in and out of whistle/flute for some time with long and short gaps due to other commitments but I struggled, having always been used to getting the notes and abc to use a my main reference, anyway I have been playing it today, its not exactly like the one we started with last night but its close.

My request is , does anyone have a recorded whistle version of this tune they could e-mail me as I have realised a good percentage of my problem is I am relying to much on the notes and playing like a robot, I need to get the jig rythm into my brain :boggle:

my e-mail is mark(at)howard3596.fsnet.co.uk just replace (at) with @

this is similar to the one we were learning last night

thanks to all who can help

X: 1
T: Kilfenora, The
M: 6/8
L: 1/8
R: jig
K: Dmaj
|:B|AFD DFA|BdB BAF|ABA F2D|FEE E2B|
AFD DFA|BdB BAF|ABA F2E|1 FDD D2:|2 FDD D2e||
|:fdd dcd|fdd d2e|fef def|gfg eag|
fed B2d|A2d F2G|ABA F2E|1 FDD D2e:|2 FDD D2||
y-nought
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: The Kilfenora Jig mp3 - wav- wma

Post by y-nought »

I have found Amazon.com to be very useful when I am looking for tune recordings. If you select "mp3 downloads" in the search field from the main page and then search for "Kilfenora jig" it displays several settings. You can listen to little 10 or 15 second sample clips and then download the one you like best for less than a dollar.

Granted, many of the search results are guitar, harp, or dulcimer settings that don't help much. And some of the results are for the Kilfenora Ceili Band and not your tune. But for many tunes you can get a pretty good sample of settings this way.

Another benefit of this (especially to Amazon) is that I get exposed to some otherwise obscure recordings by very good, but maybe not "famous" musicians.

I hope this helps,

Ed
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

Here's one on the Clips-n-Snips Web site: http://www.tinwhistletunes.com/clipssni ... aArtoV.mp3

I didn't listen so I can't say if it's a good example, or not...

-Brett
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Bretton wrote:Here's one on the Clips-n-Snips Web site: http://www.tinwhistletunes.com/clipssni ... aArtoV.mp3

I didn't listen so I can't say if it's a good example, or not...

-Brett
That linked clip is The Old Favorite aka Club Ceili, and of questionable stylistic integrity.

Sponge, I suggest you take a recorder to the lesson and have the teacher play the tune at the beginning, once slow, once a little faster, and then listen to that during the week.
/Bloomfield
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

plunk111 wrote:You could try this one, too: http://comhaltas.ie/music/detail/old_ki ... jim_wards/

Pat
Nice tune(s), but not the one Sponge posted ABCs for.
/Bloomfield
ten or more

Post by ten or more »

It's also known as Paddy's Return and is on the Comhaltas site (http://comhaltas.ie/music/detail/paddys_return/) as such.
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

The Kilfenora Jig I know has 5 parts (in D), so it's not the one in the ABC file. But yeah, so many tunes have many titles.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

ten or more wrote:It's also known as Paddy's Return and is on the Comhaltas site (http://comhaltas.ie/music/detail/paddys_return/) as such.
I've also seen the tune as "Kitty Lie Over" or "The Frost is All Over" although there slightly different tunes attached to the latter name.

The praties are dug and the frost is all over
Kitty lie over close to the wall
How would you like to be married to a soldier?

The kettle is boiling and the herring is roasting
For you to be drunk and for me to be sober
Last edited by Bloomfield on Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/Bloomfield
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

There are quite a few jigs that go by the name of Kilfenora but the tune in your ABC notation looks very close to one that I know as "Kitty Lie Over". I have heard the following recordings of it that you might try to search for online:

Album: Kitty Lie Over by by Mick O'Brien And Caoimhin O'Raghallaigh (you would not be able to play along on a D whistle for this one but it has a nice relaxed tempo to it).

Album: Portland by Kevin Burke and Mícheál O'Domhnaill (this one varies a lot from your ABC)

Album: My Love Is In America by David Power

Album: Between the Showers by Gráinne Hambly

It is also on one of the Foinn Seisiun collections put out by CCE (I can't remember which volume but these are pretty good resources to have so you wouldn't hurt to get all three).

Good Luck!
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Not to forget Planxty on Cold Blow and the Rainy Night, as well as their source: Seamus Ennis (for example on Forty Years of Pipering).
/Bloomfield
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

Right! How could I forget the ones that included the words?
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Meanwhile, here's the tune I consider the *real* Kilfenora Jig, not to confuse with the Old Kilfenora. (Second tune is the Luck Penny, another jewel of a tune :love: )
kenny

Post by kenny »

http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/448
I'd say the tune you listed the "abcs" for above is "The Frost Is All Over". The above link will take you to the tune at the "Session".org. There is a list of recordings which include a tune titled "The Frost Is All Over", although it is probably not 100% accurate.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
Trixle

Post by Trixle »

Azalin wrote:Meanwhile, here's the tune I consider the *real* Kilfenora Jig, not to confuse with the Old Kilfenora. (Second tune is the Luck Penny, another jewel of a tune :love: )
Thanks for this, nice tunes those :) I think this is the same tune on Danu's "When all is said and done" album, under the title "Kilfenora"
"Well, rhythm, i think, if it's rhythmatic, that's the whole thing. Technique and everything comes second, i think, to the rhythm." --Mary Bergin